2008 Sprinter 3500/170 Camper | 157k Mi | $32,500 (ABQ, NM)

Chevre

-SOLD- 2008 Sprinter 3500/170 Camper | 158k Mi | $29,995 (ABQ, NM)

Alright: Falcor here is back in Albuquerque after 3,250 trouble-free miles around the Southwest and desert Northwest. I'm prepping for a winter build project so the van is all cleaned up and ready to roll!

2008 is a pre-DEF model year and the 3500 has a higher load rating than 2500s and more stability due to the dual rear axle- both make it a great starting point for a camper conversion. The build was intended to be a low-maintenance (no water) bike/camp vehicle with lots of storage and organization for two people and this is version 3 taking into account what worked and didn't in initial iterations.

Photos and much of the text below can be found here: https://conversiontrader.com/listing/2008-sprinter-3500-170in-conversion-158k-miles/

The good stuff:

2008 6cyl diesel
-Uprated 3500 dual-axle chassis, great (OK- better) in desert crosswinds and better able to handle the weight of the build.
-Factory optional heavy-duty alternator charges 110Ah house electrical system
-Deep Sea Systems charging hardware
-MaxxAir fan,
-Under-cabinet lighting
-Bedside lighting
-USB outlets under cabinets and on each side of bed
-Espar diesel heater (using factory fuel tank tap) with high altitude kit and wall-mounted remote thermostat
-LOADS of storage in layout that feels clean and open. Lower drawers as shown, upper top-hinged cabinets as shown, and under-bed wheel well cabinets
-Reflectix-over-batted fiberglass insulation
-Holds four fork-mounted bikes under bed
-Swivel passenger seat
-Queen-sized bed with 4in memory foam mattress
-Clarion head unit with navigation that can display rear camera video while in motion (invaluable in traffic) and upgraded speakers throughout
-Commercial vehicle (NM-legal 10% VLT) 3M tint in three rear doors, 20% tint on driver & passenger doors
-New seat foam
-NM vehicle from new so nothing beyond surface rust
-Recently (spring '18) refreshed front suspension and new shocks/struts all around
-OEM Mercedes Benz grille and filler panel
-Green Diesel Engineering tune for increased economy and a noticeable increase in pep
-Clear title in hand

Nits to pick:

-The scrapes, bumps, and rock chips that come with use and dirt road travel
-Worn driver's seat upholstery swapped to passenger side. No tears but not pretty.
-Front subframe was torn during tire rotation, seam welded with plates on top by local 4x4 shop
-It's a big commercial vehicle with the typical Sprinter noises from front suspension and sliding door.

Ultimately, this is an honest vehicle that has served us well rather than a trailhead showpiece- but that helps it fly under the radar should you need to leave it for a hike or bike ride, spend the night backed up against a loading dock in an industrial estate, or explore poorly-maintained roads.

I'm happy to answer serious questions and entertain reasonable offers. Not in a rush or other tight spot so lowball offers, but will do my best to respond to questions as quickly and honestly as possible.

Attachments

Last edited:

KemikAL

Hi There. Great looking Van. Couple questions.

1. Glow Plugs
2. is the engine the OM642 V6 one? If so, is there any Engine Oil leak from the oil cooler?
3. Do you have any vehicle service history paperwork?

Thanks in advance. I am highly interested. My lease is up next month and I want something to move into. :)

Chevre

Hi There. Great looking Van. Couple questions.

1. Glow Plugs
2. is the engine the OM642 V6 one? If so, is there any Engine Oil leak from the oil cooler?
3. Do you have any vehicle service history paperwork?

Thanks in advance. I am highly interested. My lease is up next month and I want something to move into. :)
So sorry- the van sold last week. Good luck!

Top Bottom