Side-Door Dis-Assembly

Fredb

Something is broken inside the door handle assembly of the sliding side door (no longer able to open from inside...) and so need to dive in and figure it out.

Figured before I start I'd inquire as to whether anyone has experience, tips, photo's or suggestions for the procedure.

Any/All help appreciated.

-Fred

HighPockets

Fred, I have had two or three occasions when I thought the door was broken only to discover that the rear of the door did not latch in when closing the door. You can see that the back of the door is out a little bit. Looking from the rear toward the door helps see it. Make sure there is nothing on the inside keeping it from closing and then just shove briskly at the rear of the door and it usually clicks closed.

Fredb

I can/will check, but door works fine (opens and closes) with outside handle, what fails is the inside handle. It doesn't 'grab' at all.... just loose.

seattle westy

Fred

I just purchased this interior door handle on eBay for $12.88 + $3.39 shipping and it worked perfectly. I had the same problem of being able to open the sliding door from the outside but we couldn't open it from the inside. After doing some research I found out that theses handles are of a poor design and have a problem with breaking. It was also noted that it is best not to pull the door all the way back using the handle. Just unlock the door with the handle and then pull the door back using the door and not the handle

1 item sold by sprintersupplier
Mercedes Sprinter Interior Door Handle RH Side Sliding Door 9017601361 BG72007

David

onemanvan

I encountered this problem as well - in my case the plastic 'tongs' weren't broken - they simply became 'disengaged' from the latching mechanism. It's hard to explain how to reassemble it... You just have to play around with it awhile to figure it out...

Attachments

Fredb

Thanks 'onemanvan'... that sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing. The illustration helps to get me started.

Am afraid I wasn't explaining clearly enough to others... the issue is the mechanism isn't working... not that I find it hard to open from inside (which I do sometimes and appreciate the suggestions).

FWIW, has anybody had experience removing the inside door panels to expose the entire door open/close/lock mechanism? I have a feeling I may need to dig deeper :).

-Fred

I encountered this problem as well - in my case the plastic 'tongs' weren't broken - they simply became 'disengaged' from the latching mechanism. It's hard to explain how to reassemble it... You just have to play around with it awhile to figure it out...

Top Bottom