Transmission Slip Going in Reverse???

Lou

Has anyone experienced this...I have a 2008 144" 2500 Sportsmobile Camper Conversion with a Penthouse Top. I started the van and immediately began to reposition it on my driveway, which has a moderate slope @ about 20 degrees. I pulled forward and backed it up only to have it hold its position and not climb anymore, 10 feet up my driveway. I did not continue to force it by accelerating much more. I tried it again with the same result. I drove it around my court and backed it up again and was able to park it where I wanted, but was not confident in the way it was done.

It seemed like the tranny was slipping, but I am no mechanic. Is this due to it not being warmed up? It has not been started in about 2 weeks and I immediately put it to work in reverse without any warm up time. Outside temp. was about 60 degrees F. Does anyone have any explanation for this or experienced this?

Thanks in advance,

Lou

Just a shot in the dark. Did you possibly have your foot on the brake? If the computer knows you have the brake on it will really limit the power no matter how much you push the accelerator down. AP/vic

Mrdi

My drive is inclined as well.
When 4 wheels are on the incline I need to increase the accelleration pressure to continue the climb in reverse.
If the pressure is not increased when the full incline is established the Van will go down hill even though it is in reverse.
I think it has to do the the centrifiugal clutch operation.
Our Honda Element does the same thing and makes parking in San Francisco a real challenge.

Last edited:

blakej59

I notice this when the van is cold sometimes as well. 2007 144" CDI. Yesterday, I could barely get the thing to move on level ground. Felt like the tranny had lost it's reverse. I've felt this many times before but not this bad. I shut it off as it was moved close enough to where I intended to move it. It's always gotten over it once the van is warmed. Acts like the brakes are holding up when it's cold but I think it's a fussy tranny when cold.

Jim

Chandlerazman

Mine is fussy going in forward after starting it up. Our temperatures in Phoenix mornings are in the 50's. Sometimes it will not shift into second until the revs are up there. Once warmed up, all is fine.

bikergar

Mine is fussy going in forward after starting it up. Our temperatures in Phoenix mornings are in the 50's. Sometimes it will not shift into second until the revs are up there. Once warmed up, all is fine.
Simon

If memory serves me correct you have had transmission work done. If you don't have the trans dip stick next time you get close to your dealer have them check the fluid level. Mine takes off pretty normal in 50 degree weather, but I'm sure I'm not loaded as heavy as you (empty most of the time).

gary

Chandlerazman

Gary, I will bring up my tranny issues to the MB dealer when they come forward to do servicing. I still get the rumble vibration when it downshifts from 3rd to second. Yep, you remember correctly...My tranny was pulled and rebuilt at 1900 miles with the same issues still there today. I love the van and had not worried about it. I figure there is still plenty of warranty left anyways.

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Has anyone experienced this...I have a 2008 144" 2500 Sportsmobile Camper Conversion with a Penthouse Top. I started the van and immediately began to reposition it on my driveway, which has a moderate slope @ about 20 degrees. I pulled forward and backed it up only to have it hold its position and not climb anymore, 10 feet up my driveway. I did not continue to force it by accelerating much more. I tried it again with the same result. I drove it around my court and backed it up again and was able to park it where I wanted, but was not confident in the way it was done.

It seemed like the tranny was slipping, but I am no mechanic. Is this due to it not being warmed up? It has not been started in about 2 weeks and I immediately put it to work in reverse without any warm up time. Outside temp. was about 60 degrees F. Does anyone have any explanation for this or experienced this?

Thanks in advance,

Lou
It might be a good idea to get the fluid level checked and corrected as needed. I say this because: when the trans is cold (ambient temp) the fluid level is less (more-so contracted) and being on a incline with the nose down moves the fluid away from the filter pickup, this causes airation in the tranny's fluid circuits. When you took the Sprinter for a ride around the block the temp in the trans raised, thus causing the fluid to expand enough to keep the filter summerged in fluid on the nose down slope. Lastly, to everyone here, yes it is true that when a trans is cold it will shift and act differently due to a pre-programmed cold shift schedule designed to get the trans up to temp as fast as possible.

Chandlerazman : I pose to you 1 question : do you know if the dealer ever replaced the valve body (or at least inspect all the valve operations inside) ? Wait 1 more : sometimes after overhauling these transmissions if the tech doesn't re-set the controller back to factory settings and "re-adapt" the trans controller to the overhauled unit, it may cause shift irregularities or worse symptom mirroring.

Carl

Chandlerazman

Carl, I know they did not replace the valve body. They ordered parts for the clutches from what they told me. I do know they re adapted the tranny as they held it over for the night. They also checked the fluid when cold the next day when I picked it up. I left it at that and when I told them the problem was still there, their answer was that it is normal and that they all do it....[rumble vibration]

Mrdi

Before I read the above rumble comment...
Felt a rumble today when my 2008,2500 went from 3rd to second.
Medium warm tranny.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Carl, I know they did not replace the valve body. They ordered parts for the clutches from what they told me. I do know they re adapted the tranny as they held it over for the night. They also checked the fluid when cold the next day when I picked it up. I left it at that and when I told them the problem was still there, their answer was that it is normal and that they all do it....[rumble vibration]

To reset transmission adaptives doesn't necessarily require an overnight stay. The tech should connect StarMOBILE or WiTECH, follow the menu: ECU View -> TCM -> Misc Functions -> reset adaptives (or something close to that).

The procedure's documented on DealerCONNECT and Techauthority.com:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM ADAPTATION
The adaptation procedure requires the use of the appropriate scan tool. This program allows the electronic transmission system to re-calibrate itself. This will provide the proper baseline transmission operation. The adaptation procedure should be performed if any of the following procedures are performed:

Transmission Assembly Replacement
Transmission Control Module Replacement
Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement
Electrohydraulic Unit Replacement or Recondition

1. With the scan tool, reset the Transmission adaptives. Resetting the adaptives will set the adaptives to factory settings.
NOTE: Perform the Coast Down Adaptations first. The Transmission Temperature must be greater than 60°C (140°F) and less than 70°C (158°F). Failure to stay within these temperature ranges will void the procedure.

2. Drive the vehicle until the transmission temperature is in the specified range.

3. Perform 4 to 5 coast downs from 5th to 4th gear and then 4th to 3rd gear.
NOTE: For Upshift adaptation, the Transmission temperature must be greater than 60°C (140°F) and less than 100°C (212°F). Failure to stay within these temperature ranges will void this procedure.

4. From a stop, moderately accelerate the vehicle and obtain all forward gear ranges while keeping the Engine RPM below 1800 RPM. Repeat this procedure 4 to 5 times.

5. Obtaining 5th gear may be difficult at 1800 RPM. Allow the transmission to shift into 5th gear at a higher RPM then lower the RPM to 1800 and perform manual shifts between 4th and 5th gears using the shift lever.

6. The TCM will store the adaptives every 10 minutes. After completion of the adaptation procedure make sure the vehicle stays running for at least 10 minutes.

Keeping the transmission fluid between 140 and 158 degrees F is tremendously difficult in hot weather and requires two people: one driver and one watching the computer for temperature compliance.

I've met techs that, as late as last summer, believed that T1N rumble strip noise is also prevalent in NCV3s.

In my experience, that's not necessarily true.

I can induce a low vibratory hum - on coasting to a stop, esp coasting to a stop on an incline, or by or turning up an incline during gentle accelerating - and I can do this by just lowering the level of transmission fluid by as little as 6.5 ounces.

-Jon

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Quick note on this procedure.....it really does take 2 people to carry out the adaptation of the trans, some times you can reset the adaptives back to factory setting and she will not need a full adaptation. This would be confirmed on a road test (of course)

Jon : I would also like to say that I have really never noticed RSN in the NCV3's ,

Carl

P.S. Jon: Thank you for posting what the adaptation procedure requires.

shanemac

With mine i rarely get a RSN usually the times i have noticed it is slowing down rapidly while i go up a over pass ramp meaning van on a incline at 30 degrees. For me there are days i really don't like which gear the computer puts me in most of the time it likes 4th gear even in slower speeds between 50-60 kph at 1200rpm its just like it can never be in the right gear to me anyway. :bash:

At 50kph i can down shift to 3rd but the revs are up to 1800rpm there needs to be a in between like another gear:hugs:

Concerning backing up i find the slightest bit of loose traction on a incline the traction control goes overboard its just like i dropped a tranny.

Last edited:

Top Bottom