Hot Water, why make it expensive or complicated? SIMPLE SYSTEM

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I believe in keeping adventure vans (Not Vans converted to RV's) simple. If you want a van like an RV buy an RV. Its cheaper, has all the luxury, and they even make them in 4WD on a sprinter frame for just over 100k!

I get a lot of guys asking for hot water in their simple builds but they don't want to pay the big dollars to have a nicely integrated system and it's been hard to explain that you don't need to have a expensive nor complex hot water solution. You have to understand however just like adding instant hot water in your home; it's not so easy or cheap doing the nicer systems. How expensive is it to add an instant hot water heater in your house? Now 4-6 k doesn't seem to expensive does it? Your van is basically a home with no systems, but you don't need to spend all that money if its just hot water you need. The really nice integrated heater/hot water systems are expensive, complicated, and like anything will eventually break down. Did I say they are expensive? Adventure vans should be simple I find most make them way more complicated than they need to be and they find they don't use 50% of the stuff they cram in the build to begin with.

I recommend a much easier solution for those whom have to have hot water all the time. In Cali mostly we have surfers and desert rats, so just a rinse is perfect and a simple system that can be removed/portable if needed is perfect.

Use one of the several portable hot water systems in the market. The total system will cost you under $500 bucks...and can easily be replaced or repaired. The down side? You have a propane bottle inside your van...so disconnect it or keep it on...add a sensor in your van for safety.

Typical System: (This is so complicated it crazy)

Mr. Heater Base Camp with a 3 year extra warranty $330-350 (this runs off 12v, has a battery charge AND is portable)

USGI Plastic Water Can, 5 Gallon, Green with LARGE opening $55

water set up.JPG

Put it into a cubbie or cabinet. Now this doesn't fit in the cubbie I have in this van, but you get the idea...super simple easy to install and remove.

water3.JPG

See how easy it is to use:

https://youtu.be/Qk3nLw_F8LI

(press Ctrl and click)

Need more water? Use a bigger tank. Want to have unlimited heat? Add a propane tank under your your van...you may already have one if you have a stove. Now I don't recommend having a propane tank in your van...but if you have a small bottle like this that can be removed not a big deal and you likely have one anyways for your stove. If it's in there all the time don't cheap out, put a propane and co2 sensor in your van, you should have one anyways if you have a heater, don't get it at Home Depot, use the proper one certified for enclosed spaces.

The advantage of this system...did I say cheap, easy, simple? Worst case it blows up; its still WAY cheaper than to fix a D5 and takes no expertise.

Hope this helps!

www.cacampervan.com

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Or you can get hot water for even less money and complication.

Buy a 5 gallon SS beer keg, a 12 volt heating element, a thermostat and a cylindrical DC submersible pump. Weld a half coupling on keg bottom. Screw in the heating element., Attach the thermostat to keg. Get power from the van electrical with a fuse and switch. Drop pump into the keg, attach a garden hose and a garden spray nozzle.

Turn on van engine and wait 30 minutes for a keg full of electrically heated 90 degree water all at the same temperature so no hot cold water mixing or plumbing.

I have a similar system except I use a 120 volt AC heating element instead of 12 volt DC. I use AC because I have a vehicle powered inverter for my backup house battery charging.

Last edited:
I also have the Base Camp BOSS. I recommend it for a shower system as well.

Got mine for about $250 (Amazon Prime, delivered in 2-days). It works well, but has its quirks. Throws error codes occasionally, but nothing that turning it off and on doesn't fix. Definitely nice to take a 100F shower when it's in the 40s outside. Downsides are that it does take a few minutes to set up and break down. Plus it only heats to a 30-40 degree differential, so we have to circulate water sometimes to get a comfy shower.

We are using it as a temporary hot shower system until we do hook up a full D5/Isotemp diesel fired system. It's a good compromise till we get a full hot water system rolling.

Ecotemp tankless water heater, $125 or so. Runs off 12v with a portable propane barbecue tank. Endless hot water, depending on the water source. Easy as could be. Thanks to all here.

timoat

Or you can get hot water for even less money and complication.

Buy a 5 gallon SS beer keg, a 12 volt heating element, a thermostat and a cylindrical DC submersible pump. Weld a half coupling on keg bottom. Screw in the heating element., Attach the thermostat to keg. Get power from the van electrical with a fuse and switch. Drop pump into the keg, attach a garden hose and a garden spray nozzle.

Turn on van engine and wait 30 minutes for a keg full of electrically heated 90 degree water all at the same temperature so no hot cold water mixing or plumbing.

I have a similar system except I use a 120 volt AC heating element instead of 12 volt DC. I use AC because I have a vehicle powered inverter for my backup house battery charging.
Why not just use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, a thermostat waterheater and one of these? Total cost around what, 30 bucks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-GALLON-BU...221342?hash=item20e2ee4c1e:g:G1sAAOxyhodRsM1M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bo...820503?hash=item2a73c38797:g:hycAAOSw~OVWx~3q

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/msEks7IOYmb5nOHc2KuGGsw.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQc21wDyDYs

kinda like this guy, but without the need for a water pump.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Why not just use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, a thermostat waterheater and one of these? Total cost around what, 30 bucks?
The system you show is the same as mine but with different parts. Mine is just a bit nicer and a bit more expensive. Works the same.

In my Transit build the shower water tank is also the portapotti support pedestal because that space was wasted. Cost more to have the system built in permanently instead of loose parts.

sprinterPaul

These simple systems work great. No doubt. I have a simple big kahuna clone system that I plumbed with my Zodi Heater.

Takes a simple propane heater and constant on pump vs demand pump. Works great! I just recirc water until it's the right temp.

Cost is sub $200. Just like slammits system but less money. Plumbed with quick disconnects.

So whats the down side? Well I want on demand hot water. I have two use cases:

I want hot water after my mid week mtb ride and I want hot water for camping. Mid week I dont care how much power is used. Camping I still have plenty of battery capacity and A D5 makes simple work of it.

The eco temp hot on demand systems are nice, but have some downsides. You have to keep your water running. I want to be able to shut water off to conserve and not have scalding steam come out.

The next best option is an isotemp/d5/engine loop. This will give hot water on demand after driving or on shore power or a conscience choice to drain a bunch a battery because I Dont Care! I just want some hot water and I'm fine blowing 25% of my battery capacity when needed because I'll get it back before 10 am the next day.

Even that should not be crazy money like a rixen. I'll post up after summer once I get motivated again.

Last edited:

timoat

These simple systems work great. No doubt. I have a simple big kahuna clone system that I plumbed with my Zodi Heater.

Takes a simple propane heater and constant on pump vs demand pump. Works great! I just recirc water until it's the right temp.

Cost is sub $200. Just like slammits system but less money. Plumbed with quick disconnects.

So whats the down side? Well I want on demand hot water. I have two use cases:

I want hot water after my mid week mtb ride and I want hot water for camping. Mid week I dont care how much power is used. Camping I still have plenty of battery capacity and A D5 makes simple work of it.

The eco temp hot on demand systems are nice, but have some downsides. You have to keep your water running. I want to be able to shut water off to conserve and not have scalding steam come out.

The next best option is an isotemp/d5/engine loop. This will give hot water on demand after driving or on shore power or a conscience choice to drain a bunch a battery because I Dont Care! I just want some hot water and I'm fine blowing 25% of my battery capacity when needed because I'll get it back before 10 am the next day.

Even that should not be crazy money like a rixen. I'll post up after summer once I get motivated again.
Maybe you could set the water heater to a timer? Or 'figure out a way to remote trigger the current.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Hot water is for sissies, if you were really cheapskates like myself you'd go swim with icebergs to get clean.

There is always a more comfortable more expensive way to shower, and there is always a less comfortable cheaper way to "shower", neither is wrong.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
All good ideas. Sure a full blown D5 is superior...but for most not needed if you are not living out of the van a majority of the time. These can be easily "built" in but removable. $350-400 vs $4-6k is a big difference (pro install) that for many just isn't needed if looking for a rinse and don't want all the plumbing and water and gas tanks involved for using it occasionally. I personally for surfing just fill up a hot water bottle...works great for a morning surf and it's a great way to use clothes soap bottles. Other systems out there also that do the same thing.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
$350-400 vs $4-6k
Well, using a DIY number to compare to a pro number isn't something that can be taken all that seriously.

I've got ~$600 into the tiny shower in my van, hot water provided by a 6 gallon propane water heater that also gets heated by the engine when I'm driving. I also have hot and cold running water in the kitchen which is far from necessary, but doing dishes with 40* water when it's 0* F outside kinda sucks.

I do spend ~150 days a year in my van so the cost of the water system is negligible IMO.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I have struggled more with the hot water system design more-so than any other component of my van design. Articles like this one illustrate that an electric kettle is a fairly efficient way of heating amounts of water that you may use for dish washing or washing your face. (Granted you have to factor inverter efficiency in here too.) I am starting to think I might like a 750W instant hot water unit under my sink, with a separate tap like at home. Flipping the switch would produce hot water in a couple of minutes, and it would do-so without having to waste 2 gallons of my 20 gallon fresh water supply waiting for the hot water to reach the tap, and without using much of my battery supply.

For showering I'm thinking the portable propane unit might not be a bad way to go.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
without having to waste 2 gallons of my 20 gallon fresh water supply waiting for the hot water to reach the tap.
It takes 200 feet of 1/2" inner diameter water line to accommodate 2 gallons of water.

I have about 6 feet of water line from my water heater to my kitchen sink, that water line has .06 gallons of capacity, by the time I've washed a dish the water is already warm, but the end of the second dish the water is hot and I'm mixing cold water with it.

EDIT/// I have 3/8" ID water line so the .06 number is wrong, .03 gallons would be about right.

Don't do any of the above, hmmm?, except maybe the iceberg. We use unscented baby wipes. They're room temperature, easy to store, easy to replace, work great. Cost: comparatively nothing to installing hot water systems in our Sprinters.

ddunaway

Here is a simple suggestion I recently stumbled upon....

I often come back from skiing with some hot tea in my thermos....pour some on a paper towel and wipe your face.......WOW like a Sushi restaurant!

ATCK

Two 1.5 liter Smart Water bottles ($3), sunlight (free), and a Simple Shower ($12). Total cost for a warm (afternoon) shower, $15. Or, you can heat some water over a stove, add it to the bottles, and still have a full shower (including hair shampoo). Yep, it's possible (I know from experience).

wankel7

Well, using a DIY number to compare to a pro number isn't something that can be taken all that seriously.

I've got ~$600 into the tiny shower in my van, hot water provided by a 6 gallon propane water heater that also gets heated by the engine when I'm driving. I also have hot and cold running water in the kitchen which is far from necessary, but doing dishes with 40* water when it's 0* F outside kinda sucks.

I do spend ~150 days a year in my van so the cost of the water system is negligible IMO.
Definitely under a $1000 for the Isotemp, brass fittings, And 60 feet of hose.

Top Bottom