Tested the competition

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
right tool for the right job -

If I were just a guy driving around in the van not towing anything regularly or not using it as a commercial vehicle the diesel value prop isn't there - Id go with a gasser myself.

In a self contained mobile business the genset makes a gigantic difference.The gas gensest are all archaic fixed speed air cooled units that swill fuel and frequently overheat.

In a non inverted rig well put 2K hours a year (vs 1 with an inverter rig) on a genset so lots of running hours - the longevity and fuel consumption are huge factors when used in this manner.

The gas gensets last about 8-10K, we had a diesel unit come through the shop with 25K hours on it - ran like a champ.

UD

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
My 3L V6 diesel is averaging 7,777 miles over 9 years with mainly light duty. I plan on keep the vehicle for many years. Literally runs like is new.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
My 3L V6 diesel is averaging 7,777 miles over 9 years with mainly light duty. I plan on keep the vehicle for many years. Literally runs like is new.
You are lucky to have a pre 2010 V6, I hear the I4 may be more reliable for the later models. As long as you don't have the 2009 you can always get the GDE tune should problems start happening.

That expeditor as well as my Sprinter mechanic, said once you hit 120K you can start having swirl valve problems, so $700 to bullet proof your van with a tune is a small price to pay.

Last edited:

flman

So UD when does a big block start, my biggest blocks were a 440 police intercepter Mopar, and the 444 Navistar natural aspirated, plus a couple of poserstrokes of the same size?

surlyoldbill

In the old Chevy, wasn't the big block the 396 and 454, but the 427 was the same block as the 350 and 283? Or are you guys just talking about displacement?
My brother had a 73 Chevelle Malibu Laguna with the 454, and later a 74 Corvette with the 427. I had a Fiat 128 with either the 1.1 liter or possibly the 1.3 liter rally engine. We never raced.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
In the old Chevy, wasn't the big block the 396 and 454, but the 427 was the same block as the 350 and 283? Or are you guys just talking about displacement?
My brother had a 73 Chevelle Malibu Laguna with the 454, and later a 74 Corvette with the 427. I had a Fiat 128 with either the 1.1 liter or possibly the 1.3 liter rally engine. We never raced.
I had a 49 Crosley Hotshot with 25 hp, a 60 Fiat 600 with 28 hp and a 55 Volkswagon with 36 hp.

Did not race any of these! Well maybe the VW terrorizing local neighborhoods on two wheels.

Crosley was interesting because it had 4 wheel disc brakes and a single overhead cam. It did not have a separate head. The block and head were cast as one piece. Valves installed up through the bore.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
So UD when does a big block start, my biggest blocks were a 440 police intercepter Mopar, and the 444 Navistar natural aspirated, plus a couple of poserstrokes of the same size?
Theres a question for the ages.

The 383/440 series was a big block.

It used to be displacement was the trigger, but when you have a small block 400 and a big block 398 " the term big" doesn't exactly work anymore as a differentiator.
Now we have 7 liter small blocks.

at least in terms of a " Chevy answer" the real line between big blocks and small block is in the heads.

starting with the 409 - Big block heads don't have inline valves like small block heads.

The valves are offset and latter referred to as a porcupine style.

This offset helps unshroud the valve for better breathing - simple truth a 398 big block will put the smack down on a 400 inch SBC all thing being equal everytiime.

Of course the aftermarket blurred that further with super trick Brodix small block heads with opposed valves, but there is your basic difference. lock Y

Then you have the V block Y block thing, and the side bolt bolt thing....but heads are the best single differentiator.

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500

the 396, 454, and 427 were all basically mark 4 big blocks -all using porcupine/ compound angle heads.

The "Mark IV" is what most all of us know and refer to as a "Big Block Chevy".

The small block 400 snuck in later I believe in a wagon - and get scooped by hot rod guys - which of course used the inline valves.

( In my prior post I called it a 398 as we usually do a tiny offset grind adding an inch or 2 to displacement but 396 is the factory correct displacement)

UD

flman

So the question is how will the puny V6 Ecoboost fare against these big blocks?

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
So the question is how will the puny V6 Ecoboost fare against these big blocks?
Against a traditional big block built with modern components? Not well at all.
Its not even close. A mild 454 can make 600Ft LB pretty easily.

My 588 makes over 800FT lb.

It doesn't fare well against an old school small block 400 built with modern parts either.
Mine made 500Ft/LB and 500HP all on pump gas.

Pitted up against current factory small blocks like the 6.2 and the "Hemi's" (another discussion can ensue on that topic as well) and Fords own coyote the EB does really well beating them all at towing - especially in the heat and altitude.

If you shoehorned a 6 speed big block into a half ton truck it would slaughter everything.

UD

Last edited:

flman

Well I found my Transit with the extra overhang on the rear of the body and the lighter front end makes it go a lot better in snow than my Sprinter ever did. :thumbup:

Top Bottom