Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 11-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #21
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,896 Posts
Default Re: Is a telescopic ladder a good choice for getting up to my sprinter roof?

OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
bcolins (11-20-2019), billintomahawk (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
surferJ

Default Re: Is a telescopic ladder a good choice for getting up to my sprinter roof?

With a fully racked high top I skipped the fixed ladder and went with a telescopic one. The fixed ladders disadvantages are itís small width, steep angle, fixed position and security. But the most important for me was coming off the roof with no hand hold and searching for the rungs blindly with my foot. I made sure mine would extend higher than the roof line by 2í.

As someone who has fallen off a ladder before I spared expense and went with a big time ladder maker for one reviewed high on stability. It is heavy but it is stable, even has some stabilizers that extend laterally from the bottom. Collapsed it fits easy in the back.
I doubt this ladder is exported, it is the idea is what I want to share.
In practice I have found that being able to move the ladder around the van has proven to be an asset.
surferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferJ For This Useful Post:
bcolins (11-20-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
kj4oll
2017 24G

I bought a telescoping ladder @ walmart.
Did not pick the cheapest, as I’m too old and fat to fall off one of these contraptions.
OSHA compliant or some such rating, was about $250, free shipping.
I just tie it to the top of the RV, works great so far.

https://flic.kr/p/2hLsQam
kj4oll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #24
bcolins

Ha! I had forgotten that scene from Animal house. Nice to see it again.

Last edited by bcolins; 11-20-2019 at 02:08 PM.
bcolins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:50 AM   #25
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thule now offers a telescoping ladder with a magnetic base to fix the top to side of van. It would make it a bit safer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../TH301404.html

I recall some RV B-vans now come with this as standard equipment with roof racks.
I love the magnetic anchor idea,....but like another mentioned here,...I would want the ladder to go a few feet above the roof line,...giving something to hold on to as I climb onto the roof.

Wondering if paddle board suction cups could be used to help secure the ladder to the roof.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
Davydd

The Xtend ladders seem well made to me. I have a 12 ft. and a 10 ft. one. folding it back down can cause pinching your fingers if you are not careful and paying attention. When you do extend the ladder double check the rungs are completely engaged before climbing. The 10 ft. ladder will do it because I am not going to walk on my roof. Keep in mind any ladder leaned directly against the van will dent it unless you spread the point loads. If you want to carry a portable ladder on a trip in the van it will do for an emergency but I would not use it routinely. You can buy attached ladders designed for vans many places.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davydd For This Useful Post:
bcolins (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #27
RVCuisineScene

In place of a ladder my Lewmar marine hatch provides easy access to the roof (its mounted above our bed), used it yesterday to remove snow from the roof. The Lewmar 40 fits perfectly between the vans ribs. I plan on adding another one next to the slider. They are not cheap, I lived aboard a sailing catamaran for over 11 years which had 4 Lewmar hatches and was very happy with them. OceanAir makes an optional screen/block-out shade attachment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...89fd2f4a5ea231
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RVCuisineScene For This Useful Post:
bcolins (11-20-2019), elemental (11-20-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #28
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Not sure if this applies to all telescoping ladder models equally, but I was able to make mine collapse several inches smaller by carefully removing about 1/2" of height from each of the rubber cones between the rungs with a razor knife, with no apparent ill effects. That meant that it could fit upright under the bed rather than lying on its side, a significant improvement in space utilization inside a van.
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #29
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint2freedom View Post
Not sure if this applies to all telescoping ladder models equally, but I was able to make mine collapse several inches smaller by carefully removing about 1/2" of height from each of the rubber cones between the rungs with a razor knife, with no apparent ill effects. That meant that it could fit upright under the bed rather than lying on its side, a significant improvement in space utilization inside a van.
Given the potential for failure of the plastic bits on these, I would be reluctant to alter one,...but curious to see a picture showing what you are talking about.