Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
bcolins

Default Is a telescopic ladder a good choice for getting up to my sprinter roof?

Considering one of the aluminum telescopic ladders as sold on eBay and Amazon for accessing my Sprinter RV rooftop for solar install and routine maintenance. Generally $75-100. Wondering if anyone has tried one and if so, what your experience has been. Would you consider them a safe and stable ladder choice or not?

Brian in San Antonio
Old 11-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,898 Posts
Default Re: Is a telescopic ladder a good choice for getting up to my sprinter roof?

Yes.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
JoeyB

Default Re: Is a telescopic ladder a good choice for getting up to my sprinter roof?

Haven't had any issues with mine, I used it a lot to install my solar. Very handy, not very heavy, takes up little space.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Haven't had any issues with mine, I used it a lot to install my solar. Very handy, not very heavy, takes up little space.
Did you somehow secure the top of it or did you simply lean it against the rain gutter? I have some stand up paddle board suction cups,....thinking I might use pipe foam insulation on the part that contacts the rain gutter and then secure the upper portion with my suction cups.

Brian
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
MERLEANDSARAH

You can buy small brackets that attach to some racks and those hold the top of the ladder very well
MERLEANDSARAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
JoeyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolins View Post
Did you somehow secure the top of it or did you simply lean it against the rain gutter? I have some stand up paddle board suction cups,....thinking I might use pipe foam insulation on the part that contacts the rain gutter and then secure the upper portion with my suction cups.

Brian
I have just leaned it against the area above the gutter, mine has some plastic spots I put against it. It has rubbed the paint a little but, nothing major, but we are about to repaint the van so I wasn't concerned. Going forward I plan to get some foam inserts that would hook to the sides of the ladder, I'll see if I can find the link -- months ago someone suggested them but I forgot about it.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
bcolins

I've been looking at them on Amazon; Seems like there are hundreds of them,....and every one of them has some negative feedback where a step or latch broke after a couple of uses and threw someone on the ground.

I bought one years ago from Home Depot for attic insulation inspections,.....it DID throw me on the ground the first time I used it,.....customer was standing there intrigued by it,....until I started to climb up it,....got to the 3rd or 4th rung when it collapsed enough to drop under the garage ceiling attic opening where the ladder had been supported,.....now no longer supported by anything,....the ladder and I went crashing down on the concrete garage floor landing on my back on top of the ladder and a lawn mower..........nothing broken but my pride,......horribly embarrassing,.....could have been much worse,...potentially could have broken my back. I still love the concept,.....just nervous about them.

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 11-07-2019 at 09:41 PM.
bcolins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
John E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolins View Post
I've been looking at them on Amazon; Seems like there are hundreds of them,....and every one of them has some negative feedback where a step or latch broke after a couple of uses and threw someone on the ground.

I bought one years ago from Home Depot for attic insulation inspections,.....it DID throw me on the ground the first time I used it,.....customer was standing there intrigued by it,....until I started to climb up it,....got to the 3rd or 4th rung when it collapsed enough to drop under the garage ceiling attic opening where the ladder had been supported,.....now no longer supported by anything,....the ladder and I went crashing down on the concrete garage floor landing on my back on top of the ladder and a lawn mower..........nothing broken but my pride,......horribly embarrassing,.....could have been much worse,...potentially could have broken my back. I still love the concept,.....just nervous about them.

Brian
Did the ladder fail, or was it not "locked in" properly? I'm on ladders every day for work, and the chances for incidents like this seem to increase exponentially with my age....
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
JoeyB

I have never had a such issue but saw similar reviews. This is partially why I splurged on one that was about $30 more than most the others but had no such reviews. Each rung has a lock on each side and when locked they expose a green arrow. The instructions are very clear about checking each one before using the latter so I always have. Takes less than 10 seconds with the green dots.
It does bow a little but I think with the telescoping parts it can't really be avoided. I try to keep a higher angle as it bows less.

Here is the one I bought
Xtend & Climb 760P Xtend+Climb Telescoping Extension Ladder, 225 Lb, 1-1/2 in in, 10.5 ft, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WPZRJU..._BMkXDbQMM2NV9

Unfortunately it looks like price has gone up a lot and no longer fulfilled by Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeyB For This Useful Post:
Mickyfin (11-14-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 AM   #10
Larms

I use mine all the time. http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the one I purchased
Larms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larms For This Useful Post:
Farmer Ron (11-25-2019)