Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
cpumechanic3

Default Re: what is max boost

Ok just a quick update, I took the advice here, and deleted all of the odd codes, and then went out on some local errands, multiple starts and stops, some freeway driving up and down hills, and no more LHM issues. Not at all sure if the one small lower passenger side hose I replaced that connects to the intercooler, or just installing and re-installing the Dorman Turbo Resonator and re-tightening things had any impact but for now.. I am happy with no more LHM symptoms after burning through nearly 1/4 tank of fuel.

The bad news is I experienced a check engine lamp after the first short trip.
That is a first in the 25k miles I have driven.
Ap200 says they are

2032-02 R25 component Oxygen sensor is implausable
2195-1 O2 sensor heater short circuit to positive
2026-1 Signal from component R25 Oxygen Sensor is faulty, the signal voltage is too high.

I assume this means that this oxygen sensor needs replacement, and assume that clearing codes will not make this one go away and stay away.

None of the other odd codes Canbus related re-occurred so I am happy that the odd codes I found on initial read were just ghost codes stored from many moons ago that were not valid or real.

I did replace/repair one backup lamp socket, and both backup lamp bulbs, so the code for that issue was valid.

Finally I am finding the communication to the electronic transmission control module to be "hit or miss" I sometimes works under the YD vehicle category, and then it will stop connecting, If I switch to the 906 option and US, then select ODB2 as pinout, that selection (at least for my 2006) appears to work the best for electronic transmission temp.

I have a deep pan and now have some data that the deep pan T/C probe is nearly 50-55F cooler when compared to the Autel Electronic Transmission live temps. I thought the difference would be much smaller (like 20F) but it is 50F hotter going down freeway at 65 on a 50 degree day.

So.. looks like I will be ordering and installing an 02 sensor soon, unless someone tells me otherwise, thanks again for all the excellent feedback and advice here.

Cpu
cpumechanic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #32
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,047 Times in 4,443 Posts

Check the wiring harness first. I would suspect harness damage before a sensor for a short to positive.

Note that the sensor is a wideband type, so a generic narrowband type won't work.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #33
cpumechanic3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Check the wiring harness first. I would suspect harness damage before a sensor for a short to positive.

Note that the sensor is a wideband type, so a generic narrowband type won't work.
Hello

I searched the forum and my Sprinter Factory service manual for the pinout of the Oxygen sensor and the pins it connects to on the ECU. I see that they should all be 10 ohms or less for continuity. I guess I can also check each pin for short to ground or short to 12 V.

=================================
2195-1 O2 sensor heater short circuit to positive
=================================

I assume this is the code you are referring to as unusual.

I have a good meter, just curious how folks test for OHMS between a harness pin in the engine bay and the large connector to the ECU (I assume under the drivers seat?).

Do you just take some 14 gauge wire and solder some alligator clips to a long (10 foot) piece to reach from the engine bay to the ECU?

Sorry for this display of my ignorance.

I re-read the factory service manual troubleshooting guide, and it looks pretty good, stating that the wires from the O2 sensor to the ECU are not spliced and are continuous and so each wire should be independent of the other wires, (when ECU plug is disconnected).. and there should be no continuity between any wire and ground.

I will just follow the FSM investigation path, and see where that leads.

Thanks in advance again for the expert help here

CPu
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #34
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,047 Times in 4,443 Posts

The ECM/ECU is right above the drivers feet under the dash. Its held in with a spring clip.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 11-23-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
cpumechanic3 (11-23-2019), ozelotl (11-23-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #35
cpumechanic3

Hello

I am attempting to check the wiring harness as suggested, I have disconnected the negative battery cable, pulled the ECM down, and removed the large and small connectors.

I have also disconnected the O2 sensor connector to check the harness.

I am following instructions from a different Thread
====================================
The diagnostic steps on page 120 (and following) are:
(a) check the wiring and connectors
(b) unplug the O2 sensor and verify that 12v is appearing on pin 4 of the cable harness
(c) check resistances ("cavity" is "connector pin"):
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the O2 Sensor harness connector.
Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.
Perform the following resistance measurements from the O2 harness connector to the
ECM harness connector.
O2 Sensor Cavity 1 to ECM Cavity C1-15.
O2 Sensor Cavity 2 to ECM Cavity C1-40.
O2 Sensor Cavity 3 to ECM Cavity C1-72.
O2 Sensor Cavity 5 to ECM Cavity C1-62.
O2 Sensor Cavity 6 to ECM Cavity C1-39.
Is the resistance below 10.0 ohms for each measurement?
========================================

I am getting open circuit on any/all of the O2 Sensor X to ECM Cavity Y measurements
I don't see any evidence of any rodent damage on the engine wiring harness from above or below.

Attached is an image of my paper clip connector inserted into (what I believe is ) O2 Sensor cavity 6. See attached.

This is supposed to connect to ECM Cavity C1-39.

Is C1 the Largest ECM connector, or is C1 the smaller connector on the back of the ECM?

Can anyone confirm that my Oxygen Sensor Diagram is connect, and I am connected to Pin 6 based on the image?

I have tested multiple pins on that connector, and can not get any resistance measurements, and I cannot believe that every single wire is open.

Sorry for yet another display of my ignorance here.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

CP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI11272019.jpg (119.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #36
cpumechanic3

Ok... I had a friend take a look at my wiring diagrams, and he immediately pointed out that the pinout I was using for the O2 sensor was upside down, and with respect to the "smile" on the connector the actual connector has the " locking clip" on the bottom of the connector if the smile (curved portion of the clip ) is on the left)

See image..

The FSM has an image showing the smile on the left, and the clip on the top.

So.. my image below is wire connected to Pin 5, not Pin 6. And if you pull up the image in the connector pinouts section, the actutal image does not match the image in the FSM.

I believe that the FSM image for pinouts is one assuming you have the connector disconnected and are looking at the connector side, not the wire side. (But I may have that wrong.)

In any event.. I did get less than 0.5 ohms on Pin 6 to ECM 1-39.. so I can proceed with my diagnosis.

Sheesh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o2sensor connector pin 5 .jpg (33.2 KB, 6 views)