Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #21
mhobson

Default Re: Click no start- some tips.

The three small grey relays below the main fuse block and the five grey relays under the drivers seat all have the same part number, I swapped them around yesterday, no change unfortunately, I have no idea what else to try.
mhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #22
mhobson

Could it be that the main ecu has blown, I have not heard of it on cdi vans but I know there were a load of ecu problems on the pre cdi 310 and 312 vans.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
mhobson

The three small grey relays under the main fuse block are the same part number as the 5 grey relays under the seat, I have swapped them around but the same fault persists, I wonder if the ECU has blown?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,051 Times in 4,446 Posts

ECU failures are pretty rare. Can you communicate with the ECU/ECM with a scan tool?

Your van should have chipped keys. Since you are not getting a start error on teh instrument cluster, you most likely have a problem in the following areas.

The start contacts on the ignition switch are not working.

The starter trigger wire is not providing enough current to actuate the starters solenoid. This can be caused by a bad engine ground strap, corroded connections etc.

The starters solenoid is jammed, or the contacts are burnt. You need to investigate if the starter relay is activating, and if so, is the starter solenoid getting power on the trigger wire.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 05-26-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Midwestdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
mhobson

Thank you midwestdrifter, yes I think you are right that a scan tool is what is required, I only have one for Audi/VW. As I said when I turn the key to start position no current flows to the solenoid trigger connection, but when I connect the battery directly to the solenoid trigger the started works correctly but the engine will not run so I suspect the fuel cut off has not opened so it is more a security starting issue. I have phoned an auto electrician who suggested I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect it, which can sometimes reset the ECU but alas no go. I hope to get him around with his scan tool early next week.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #26
Skippy and Emu

My Sprinter has had the same problem for a number of years. Still unresolved , I just work around it.
The ignition has 4 positions. Off, accessories, run and START. Mine will start if I apply power direct to the solonoid AT THE SAME TIME AS I HOLD THE KEY IN THE START POSITION . Usually takes 2 people to achieve this initially, until you can get something more permanent wired up. Good luck, I have given up wasting time trying to fix mine.
2003 313cdi MWB, High Roof, Manual, ECB Bullbar, Windows all around, Rear Aircon, Swivel Passenger seat, 580 watts solar, 150 amp alternator, Fiamma f45s, Carr Mega Step, Chinese 2kw diesel heater, 227000 kms.
Skippy and Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
mhobson

Had a man read codes today, no fault codes recorded. Since I disconnected the battery and reconnected after half hour it seems the fuel cutoff now works but no power to starter trigger connection. If I bypass the starter trigger circuit the van now starts but will not start on key. I have removed the electrical switch from the ignition lock and am having it tested and if that fails it must be the fuse block itself I think. I find it hard to believe that there is no fuse on the starter circuit as that would be an obvious culprit but I have searched all over and cannot find one, can this really be true? It seems there are starter fuses on later models but cannot find one here. If I do solve it I will post the solution ----------------- but don't hold your breath.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #28
tonyinmemphis

Click no start- THE EASIEST TEST 1 OF 2 THINGS 1- Jumper cable from ground post from battery to the Metal bar on motor. ( note motor to frame ground is bad) 2- jumper cable from other car/van to pos. (+) post and sprinter not starting clamp to the motor TO GROUND THE STARTER. It took me 6 months to find. Stared when it want to and 1 click no start when it wanted too. A GROUND CABLE $15.00 CAN BE RUN TO THE MOTOR TO GROUND POST OF BATTERY.
tonyinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #29
jkimpossible

Hi, Could you please rephrase your statement? Especially your point #2? Maybe some photos for your work-around? Thanks, jkimpossible.
jkimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #30
Cableman

Thumbs up Re: Click no start- some tips.

Thank you all. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cableman For This Useful Post:
CaliDogAdVANtures (10-16-2018)