Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Old Crows
Calypso 2014 View Profile

Thanked 2,175 Times in 1,366 Posts
Default Re: Click no start- some tips.

Nope! Usually Shore and genny charges the coach batteries. (Unless it is a really old school RV like my Bud's 2005 Airstream 34' .... the alternator & shore power & genny appears to charge everything at the same time. And he has a small solar panel....) The alternator charges both the coach and chassis batteries.

There might be a rocker switch on the dash marked 'Boost' (or something similar) under the radio stack. Maybe next to a rocker switch that allows you to run the entertainment/gps via the chassis battery (ignition key controlled) or the coach batteries (runs with ignition off). It's a 'push and hold' rocker switch.

Boost allows you to 'slave' the coach and chassis battery together for starting when the chassis (starter) battery is run down or dead. This gets you goin'....

How to use: Ignition off. Push and hold the Boost button rocker "ON". Turn key to RUN and the dash should light up. When the glow plug light goes out, start her up. Release the Boost switch. Engine should run and begin charging the chassis battery & the coach battery bank.

COACH MASTER ELECTRICAL ON >>>> BOOST SWITCH PUSH AND HOLD ON >>>> IGNITION TO RUN (DASH LIGHTS COME UP) >>>>>> GLOW PLUG LIGHT GOES OUT >>>>> START.

Holding the Boost button in without starting, ignition in RUN will lay a small charge on the chassis battery before you crank it up. That may help.... But be careful you don't run the coach batteries down doing that.

If the coach battery is also low.... fire up the genny, it starts off the coach batteries. (In a pinch, you can slave the battery banks to get enough potential to start the genny but it is a small engine and shouldn't be needed unless batteries are near flat and it's Zombie Apocalypse!) Genny will charge the coach battery bank up and then you try slaving and starting the Sprinter.

COACH MASTER ELECTRICAL ON >>>> START GENERATOR >>>>>> LET IT CHARGE A FEW MINUTES >>>> BOOST ON & HOLD >>>> IGNITION TO RUN >>>> START >>>> BOOST OFF.

If the chassis battery is really flat.... and the Zombies are beating on the door. You can hold the Boost button in and lay a quick charge on the chassis battery AND the coach bank. Once it starts kill the boost, and let the alternator take over. GENNY >>>> COACH BANK >>>>> BOOST BUTTON >>>>> IGNITION TO RUN >>>>> START!!!

Another MacGuyver is to charge the chassis battery via the "always hot' ACC plug in the low center of the console. Use a low AMP charger and an ACC plug in. KEY OFF. Get your AC power from Shore or the Genny. I use a 6A smart maintainer. Be advised.... it is going to take quite awhile to bring up a flat battery but you may only need enough charge to get the diesel started.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Old Crows; 02-26-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
grumpy-old-van
A little bit Oooh Errrr

Ive made this into a Doc so I can take it to the van
hope this doesnt break the rules
https://www.scribd.com/document/3780...Click-No-Start

I may seem obsessed with Powers and Grounds, thats my prerogative..
grumpy-old-van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
mhobson

I am having this problem with my 2002 w902, lhd french registered, but turn key no click and warning lights except for glow plug, oli pressure and handbrake turn off. There is no current going to the starter trigger so I think it is a sevurity system fault. I have looked at your fuse block locations but mine seem to be different to your diagrams, the one under the steering wheel and under the side of the drivers seat but do not hold any relevant fuses or relays. The strip of relays under the front of the drivers seat are arranged very differently. In the past if for some reason the motor stalled it would have the same symptoms but after one or two more tries it would start again as normal, I thought that there may be a system to stop using the starter when the engine is running but do not know if this is the case and if so where would I locate the system, thanks, Michael
mhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobson View Post
I am having this problem with my 2002 w902, lhd french registered, but turn key no click and warning lights except for glow plug, oli pressure and handbrake turn off. There is no current going to the starter trigger so I think it is a sevurity system fault. I have looked at your fuse block locations but mine seem to be different to your diagrams, the one under the steering wheel and under the side of the drivers seat but do not hold any relevant fuses or relays. The strip of relays under the front of the drivers seat are arranged very differently. In the past if for some reason the motor stalled it would have the same symptoms but after one or two more tries it would start again as normal, I thought that there may be a system to stop using the starter when the engine is running but do not know if this is the case and if so where would I locate the system, thanks, Michael
This actually sounds like it could be a simple dirty battery post or poor connection at the other end of the battery cables. Or, it could also be a internally shorted battery.
You will eliminate the battery end of the cables and the shorted battery if you attempt a jump start from a known good battery.
4wheeldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
mhobson

Thanks but new battery this year 100 ah Varta, clean connections vaselined when fitted, showing 12.74v, new alternator last year, only the second time in 8 years it has let me down, first was when I ignored it when it asked for a new alternator. I think I will try to take a cable directly from the battery to the trigger connection on the starter, if it turns over but doesnt start it suggests that the fuel pump cutout has received no current and therefore is likely to be an immobiliser issue. There appears to be no aftermarket immobiliser fitted but I cannot find which relays may be associated with a security system as I said the layout of the relays under the front of the driver seat are different to the ones in the associated post.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
mhobson

Is there a relay or fuse for the starter circuit and if so where can I find it? I have checked all the fuses and relays I can find and where the relays have the same part number I have changed them around, I have changed the battery and also run a cable from the starter solenoid trigger connection direvtly to the battery positive and nothing except dashboard lights. HELP!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobson View Post

I have changed the battery and also run a cable from the starter solenoid trigger connection directly to the battery positive and nothing except dashboard lights. HELP!
So it does not even turn over when directly powering the solenoid? If so you either have a duff battery or your battery to engine earth is faulty.

Can you measure the battery voltage when trying the direct connection to the solenoid please?

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
mhobson

OK I have managed to get the starter working by taking a cable between the starter solenoid trigger and battery positive, but the engine will not run so the fuel cutoff must still be shut therefore the problem must lie with the engine start security system. There is no aftermarket immobiliser, could someone direct me to the relay involved with the starter circuit please?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
mhobson

I have been reading all the threads about the starter relay and looking at the pictures but I am lost, my relays seem different and fewer. At the underside of the fuse block below the steering wheel are three small grey relays, when you open the cover at the side of the drivers seat there is a block with just one fuse and a large black relay. Under the front of the seat looking forwards there are two large yellow relays together and to their left five small grey relays. Apart from the glow plug relay under the battery I can find no others.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhobson For This Useful Post:
garman (09-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #20
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,292 Posts

Most of the posters on here are from the USA and their Sprinters are VERY different to our European spec Sprinters.

The three small relays at the bottom of the fuse block are the ones being referred to here. The middle one is the ECU fuse which is a possible cause of your no start. Try swapping it with either one of the other relays.

Keith.

Fuse Block Stg Column.jpg

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
mhobson (05-26-2018)