Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #1
Gabe Athouse

Default Sort-of OT battery quesiton

I’m doing a motor swap on another project and it’s going to be my first and long awaited 6bt Cummins diesel. If anyone is unfamiliar these inline 6 engines are thought by many to be the ultimate light truck engine of all time. They are true commercial grade, DI engines with legendary torque and longevity.
So, similar to the T1n engines they dont use a twin parallel starting battery. This is interesting in the diesel world because dual batts is common to overcome the high compression of diesels. The Cummins has even more compression than many, yet only uses one batt. To me that means it has a gear reduction starter? I’m not sure, but they don’t seem overly hard to crank. NOW, having said ALL THAT (possibly too much) what is the best battery to use for highest CCA? I can fit pretty much any battery I need to, up to a 4D size, but I was just curious what y’all think is the best value in a HD truck battery.
I’d like to have an agm design, but it’s not necessarily a must.
I’m probably over thinking this, but I’d rather do it once. I’d like the most CCA available.
I have enough space to fit two smaller batteries too, so that might be a way to get the cca up and just run a dual setup, not my fav however because of imbalance issues down the road.

Last edited by Gabe Athouse; 07-11-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Gabe Athouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
marklg

Default Re: Sort-of OT battery quesiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Athouse View Post
Iím doing a motor swap on another project and itís going to be my first and long awaited 6bt Cummins diesel. If anyone is unfamiliar these inline 6 engines are thought by many to be the ultimate light truck engine of all time. They are true commercial grade, DI engines with legendary torque and longevity.
So, similar to the T1n engines they dont use a twin parallel starting battery. This is interesting in the diesel world because dual batts is common to overcome the high compression of diesels. The Cummins has even more compression than many, yet only uses one batt. To me that means it has a gear reduction starter? Iím not sure, but they donít seem overly hard to crank. NOW, having said ALL THAT (possibly too much) what is the best battery to use for highest CCA? I can fit pretty much any battery I need to, up to a 4D size, but I was just curious what yíall think is the best value in a HD truck battery.
Iíd like to have an agm design, but itís not necessarily a must.
Iím probably over thinking this, but Iíd rather do it once. Iíd like the most CCA available.
I have enough space to fit two smaller batteries too, so that might be a way to get the cca up and just run a dual setup, not my fav however because of imbalance issues down the road.
I've had good luck with my NAPA AGM. They sell them up to 1450 CCA, probably overkill. You can sort or choose by CCA on their website.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #3
Gabe Athouse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Group 49?
Isn’t this the same size sprinter uses?
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

My previous truck was a '97 Cummins, and yes they DO have two parallel starting batteries. IIRC they each had roughly 800CCA?

P.S. What's the swap?

P.P.S. I really miss that damn thing...

P.P.P.S If you're doing a swap you've probably been on cumminsforum, but in case it helps you I wrote this beginners guide to owning a 12V Cummins a bunch of years ago:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ead-first.html
https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com

Last edited by Zundfolge; 07-11-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Zundfolge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #5
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Athouse View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Group 49?
Isnít this the same size sprinter uses?
Amazon says it doesn't fit but I got the NAPA Group 49 AGM, somewhat more expensive than the one you found. It's certainly in there and fits and works fine.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #6
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
My previous truck was a '97 Cummins, and yes they DO have two parallel starting batteries. IIRC they each had roughly 800CCA?

P.S. What's the swap?

P.P.S. I really miss that damn thing...

P.P.P.S If you're doing a swap you've probably been on cumminsforum, but in case it helps you I wrote this beginners guide to owning a 12V Cummins a bunch of years ago:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ead-first.html
Oh ya Iím on a different Cummins forum but itís not that active and I donít get on there much. The swap is for my hmmwv. Itís a first year production, and serial number 1100, so a very early one. They came with one of the worst Diesel engines ever produced, the Detroit 6.2/6.5. So, thatís why. I always wanted a 6bt so I figured this would be how. Of course it got a lot more complicated than I imagined and 2 years later sheís still sittin taking up more than her share of garage. But it will be nice, with 4sp OD transmission, and stock AWD t case . The engine was a very tight fit. They a lot taller and longer than a v8!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E142366-9FFE-408B-9A0E-F630AFD6520E.jpg (171.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
The Grand Tour
Banned

The portals and axles on those are awfully fragile- any horsepower or torque in excess of the stock engine, is just gonna make it break parts more easily.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Gabe Athouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
The portals and axles on those are awfully fragile- any horsepower or torque in excess of the stock engine, is just gonna make it break parts more easily.
I donít believe that to be true, but it is a popular opinion.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
The Grand Tour
Banned

Believe whatever you want. I've driven and repaired a number of them. They break stuff even with the stock 6.5 turbo Detroit Diesel V8.

Ask anyone who's ever truly used them off road in the military.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
The Grand Tour
Banned

...and anything larger than the stock 37◊12.5 tires also makes it easier to break stuff off-road.