Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
jackbombay

Default central door locks power door locks problem.

Yesterday my key fob stopped locking/unlocking the doors, and the switch on the ceter console also does not lock or unlock the doors. If all the doors are locked and you push the center console switch you can hear the solenoids in the doors , but they don't actually do anything. The red arrow lights on the center console lights do still work and indicate if the doors are locked or unlocked.

I pulled the switch out and tested it according to the shop manual and I don't have continuity between pins 3 and 7 when I depress the switch for the "lock/unlock all doors except drivers door" if I push the upper part of the switch, "Lock/unlock the drivers door" I do have continuity between 3 and 7. The manual isn't totally clear if there is supposed to be continuity between 3 and 7 for either or both switch positions. Anyone know more details on this?
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
mendonsy

Default Re: central door locks power door locks problem.

I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the door locks, but I think that it will do that if one of the doors is not closed. Maybe one of the door closed switches???
Did you try cleaning the contacts on the rear doors?? They can cause weird stuff to happen.
Bill's glow plug mod
My daughter's Pet Mobile
mendonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
jackbombay

I did clean all the rear door contacts, and the sliding door contacts, no change.

the red LED arrow indicator lights on the switch do work showing when a door is open (flashing) or locked (on solid) so something else is the issue. The dodge dealer wants $47 for a new switch, kinda spendy, I'm going to see if I can find it cheaper...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
maxextz
Rollin Rollin Rollin.....

Thanked 1,112 Times in 607 Posts

before you buy a switch which might not be the solution here.check the fob itself maybe its got wet or the switch inside is sticking.

it could be stuck in either the lock or unlock position and is causing some confusion with the system.

max.............

Sioux-316CDI/T1N/158/2005. Light Prevails
maxextz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
jackbombay

The led on the fob lights when I push either lock or unlock so it does seem to be working normally. The central locking switch on the dash seems to go bad very infrequently so I'm a little hesitant to drop the $47 on a new one just yet...
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Drew.eight

Hey Mark,

I know when mine acted funny, it was a weak battery in the key fob. It still made the led flash, but would not always work right.
Any news on those clutch fan tools?? Did you get a chance to make anymore?
Drew.eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
jackbombay

I'm still away from home so I have not made anymore, but I will be home returning home next week, I'll make more then.

I'll try replacing the battery in the key fob. But would that make the switch on the dash not lock/unlock the doors as well?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
rockraptor5

anyone know where to get replacement rear door contact or the P/N? The wiring to the one in my sprinter was damaged when I purchased it so the central locking system always thinks a door is open. I have to press lock on the FOB twice while the system cycles through locking and unlocking before it finally locks. The dealership can't find a P/N for what I need for some reason.
~Thanks

UPDATE
I took the van to the dealer to get new keys programmed. They called and said it didn't work and they needed it back to check electrical some other time and then try again.
I decided to try the keys, they worked for the drive home! But now they don't.

Here is what is going on:
- The central locking button on the dash always flashes the left-side light (I think b/c the rear door contact has been removed)
- The light was not flashing for the first time ever when I started and drove with the keys the dealer said couldn't be programmed
- The light turned back on when I opened the door and now the key won't start the engine

I'm guessing it has to be short, but why do the lock affect the starting for teh new keys and not the one I've been using for a year? Sprinter ghost?

~Thank

Last edited by rockraptor5; 05-28-2010 at 01:04 AM.
rockraptor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
jackbombay

If the left side light is flashing it thinks the drivers door is open.

As for my problem, I got a new switch for the dash for $35 here in Idaho, installed it, and the doors still won't lock/unlock.

I'm going to try unpluggin one door solenoid at a time and see what I get...
Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
A.Hayes

Jackbombay- Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the same symptoms as described in your first post and am headed to the dealer tomorrow...

Also anyone have the part #/ price for the central timer module, in case that's the issue?