Ground strap

white whale

Another thread had mention of checking the strap and a solution to a problem. Judging from the search I did for the term( ground strap @ 9 pages) it is a big player in the checklist of where to look first for many electrical issues. Is this a proactive change that forum member do? This should just be a generic strap/cable? No need for a sprinter specific one or a $50 dealer visit. I have never changed - cleaned the connections yes - recommendation for gauge size to get or just leave it? Just a corrosion issue with these? - apart from the terminal cleaning.

Larms

I added one when I purchased my 2005 3500. It started and ran great. No CEL's. But as soon as I added the ground strap I noticed the lights were much brighter when driving at night. It doesn't hurt to add one or more.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
If you can find an engine to chassis ground strap specifically made for the Sprinter, that would be your best bet. Word on the street is that they’re less than $20 from some suppliers. The reason is that the lug on the engine side is at least 1/2” and most prepared cables have 3/8” lugs. That said, when my strap went I got a 16” 4 gauge ground cable they had and made the lug fit the bolt. The battery to chassis strap uses 3/8” lugs, NAPA to the rescue both times.

At this point in the game, I’d say that replacing original ground straps should be early preventative maintenance. The point of contact with the lug (chassis side) seems to corrode internally, causing a slew of false error messages and low voltage issues. Adding a secondary ground strap isn’t a bad idea, but you’ll get far by just having one good one. The newest T1N Sprinters are about 14 years old and corrosion never sleeps

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
On the OM647, the fuel filter bracket has a couple of 3/8" sized bolts holding it on, and its near the main ground strap. I haven't checked, but you can probably attach a ground cable there.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
For the curious:

(if it were me, "convenience in acquisition" would override "wait until getting a dealer part")

--dick

Top Bottom