Sprinter Newbie Needs Help for Oil & Coolant

MidwestB

Newbie here just purchased our 2020 Midwest /AC Patriot B class on a 2019 Sprinter Ext 170 - 3500 Chasiss V6 Diesel ....just wanted to have an idea of what to buy for fluids JIC we needed ....

OIL ... do we buy Mobil 1 ESP. 0W-30 ????

Coolant????

Do we need any fuel treatment?

Any other things we need know? We have read the manual but there is little information and all the fluids are MB numbers for Mercedes dealer .

Lastly .... the coolant light comes on when we first crank but then goes off in a few minutes. ..Overflow coolant is at half way full.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Steve and Daphne

sailquik

MidwestB,
Why not use the MB branded and labeled oil, and MB coolant.
Unless something goes very wrong, you will possibly not ever need your "JIC" fluids.
That's most likely what's in it from the assembly plant, so why not get the "just in case" fluids that are most compatible with
what the factory used.
Might also get a couple of 2.5 Gallon kits of Terra Cair Ultra Pure DEF fluid.
That is something you will want to have onboard at all times. (~$10.50 /2.5 gallon kit @ Do it Best hardware stores.)
You will want to establish some sort of relationship with a Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (a commercial dealer if you can find
one near enough (don't be afraid to travel several hours to get to the right dealer) and have them do the 1st "A" service as that
service is very important to the overall longevity of your Sprinter RV.
There are number of things that an authorized MB Sprinter dealer will do (per the maintenance manual and their shop guides) like
re-torquing the rear axle U bolts (a one time thing, that absolutely MUST be done and done correctly).
Also, it's probably worthwhile (I ALWAYS insist on it) to get a full front end alignment at that first service to the specifications from the
WIS (Workshop Information System). The tolerances are in minutes and seconds of arc, not +- 1/2 degree.
The cost of the alignment (should the dealer chose to charge you for it?) will be recovered very quickly in better tire mileage.
Remember, the authorized MB Sprinter dealer's shop has ALL the correct tools and diagnostics to keep your Sprinter RV running
at it's best.
Other than a few very high end Sprinter specialty shops, you won't get the right kind of service anywhere but an authorized MB
Sprinter commercial shop.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

MidwestB

MidwestB,
Why not use the MB branded and labeled oil, and MB coolant.
Unless something goes very wrong, you will possibly not ever need your "JIC" fluids.
That's most likely what's in it from the assembly plant, so why not get the "just in case" fluids that are most compatible with
what the factory used.
Might also get a couple of 2.5 Gallon kits of Terra Cair Ultra Pure DEF fluid.
That is something you will want to have onboard at all times. (~$10.50 /2.5 gallon kit @ Do it Best hardware stores.)
You will want to establish some sort of relationship with a Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (a commercial dealer if you can find
one near enough (don't be afraid to travel several hours to get to the right dealer) and have them do the 1st "A" service as that
service is very important to the overall longevity of your Sprinter RV.
There are number of things that an authorized MB Sprinter dealer will do (per the maintenance manual and their shop guides) like
re-torquing the rear axle U bolts (a one time thing, that absolutely MUST be done and done correctly).
Also, it's probably worthwhile (I ALWAYS insist on it) to get a full front end alignment at that first service to the specifications from the
WIS (Workshop Information System). The tolerances are in minutes and seconds of arc, not +- 1/2 degree.
The cost of the alignment (should the dealer chose to charge you for it?) will be recovered very quickly in better tire mileage.
Remember, the authorized MB Sprinter dealer's shop has ALL the correct tools and diagnostics to keep your Sprinter RV running
at it's best.
Other than a few very high end Sprinter specialty shops, you won't get the right kind of service anywhere but an authorized MB
Sprinter commercial shop.
Hope this helps,
Roger

ROGER,

Thanks so much! Yes we have ALL our cars and RVs serviced ONLY at Dearlerships and we will have the new Sprinter done at MB dealership also.

Just was wondering if we needed to top off coolant or ER oil need in case no dealership within a few hours drive to just help us get to a dealership for service. Probably wont ever need.

Do we need to have Service A done now? At 1500 miles? Thought that was in 10,000 miles....

Thanks!

Steve and Daphne

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Your owners manual will list the MB BEVO specs for fluids. Check the MB BEVO list for approved stuff.

The coolant is long life (should be HOAT long life formula), and will not need replaced for many years. Top offs can be done with any compatible coolant. Check your owners manual, but should be fine with any compatible HOAT formula. If you just need a top off, a cup or two of tap water is fine unless you are in the far north.

Fuel treatments are not recommended by MB except for anti-gel in very cold weather or with non-winterized fuel. There is some value to a low does lubricity additive in my view. There are several commercial tests available with a google search. Most of the fuel additives out there are snake oil in a bottle, caveat empor.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
One thing I will do is carry one liter of M-B spec motor oil. That kind of oil is not universally obtainable. Though I haven't yet had occasion to use it, it's nice to know that I have a liter available should I need it. And it doesn't take up a lot of space, next to my gallon of DEF....

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Just was wondering if we needed to top off coolant or ER oil need in case no dealership within a few hours drive to just help us get to a dealership for service. Probably wont ever need.

Do we need to have Service A done now? At 1500 miles? Thought that was in 10,000 miles...
Your factory manuals should have some information on Service A/Service B (the "minor" and "major" service visit types that Mercedes uses to roughly separate shorter-lived items from longer-lived items). The timing for them is variable; there is a monitoring system in the van that will prompt you for Service A (sometimes shown as one wrench) or Service B (two wrenches). You have a VS30 and I'm not familiar with how it shows you this info, but the NCV3 with the "pixel display" and steering wheel buttons let's you bring the miles/kilometers until the next service in the display.

A key driver of the interval between service visits is the oil change interval. Under certain conditions Mercedes would have you believe (on the NCV3, anyway) that the oil change interval can be as much as 20,000 miles. This would put your first Service A at 20,000 miles. If you read the forum a bit, you will see that the oil change interval is a contentious issue. Many who post about it believe that 20,000 is a bit long. I decided to use a 10,000 mile oil change interval myself (based on my typical driving), so I had my first Service A done at 10,000 miles; I now have about 17k miles on my van and will next have the oil changed at 20,000 miles but I'll wait until 30,000 miles for a full Service B visit.

So far with my van there are two new-to-me monitoring/maintenance issues with the Sprinter diesel engine systems:

(1) The Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system that reduces NOx gases in the exhaust uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). This fluid must be replenished at a rate much lower than filling the fuel tank but higher than typical service visits. This means that the owner/operator must monitor the DEF level and fill it up periodically. I have twice filled my DEf tank at 2-1/2 gallons per fill (out of a 5+ gallon tank), plus MB topped my van off at delivery to me and at my Service A at 10,000 miles. The rate at which DEF is consumed is variable depending on your driving and your "DEF mileage" may be different. Although there is a warning system in your vehicle for when the DEF is "low", waiting until you are warned has been associated by forum members with a greater risk of failure in the DEF delivery system. DEF crystallizes in air, and forum members suspect that letting elements of the DEF storage system that are normally submerged in DEF get exposed to air leads to crystallization of DEF on those elements, which causes them to fail.

The approaches to dealing with this special maintenance issue vary, in part due to the fact that DEF has a shelf life and storage conditions affect the shelf life, and in part due to concerns about the DEF level dropping "too low" before it is replenished. My approach is to monitor my DEF level (I check it when I fuel up and sometimes when I'm on the road), and when it gets near the 1/2 full level I buy name brand DEF from a high-turnover source (so that I don't get old stock) in a 2-1/2 gallon container. Once it hits the 1/2 level I carefully fill my DEF tank from the 2-1/2 gallon container (which is completely consumed) and dispose of the container.

Some people have found the 2-1/2 gallon containers to be unwieldy. Spilled DEF must be cleaned up immediately (flushed with a lot of water) so it is desirable to avoid spilling it. They use smaller DEF bottles with a spring-loaded valve that opens when the bottle is mated with the fill tube. Some top off their DEF more frequently; if one uses truck stops this can be accomplished using DEF pumps at the truck islands (DEF is used by large over-the-road diesel trucks as well) but bear in mind that these pumps may be co-located with diesel fuel pumps that have a much higher rate of fill than typical auto fuel pumps.

(2) The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) system captures solid particles (soot) and then periodically burns them off in a process called "regeneration". Regeneration is accomplished by adding diesel fuel to the exhaust where it then combusts in the DPF. The regen process takes something like 10 or 15 minutes. For regeneration to work correctly, the engine/exhaust system must remain above a certain operating temperature for the duration of the regen. Frequent short trips don't get the system to the right temperature, and/or interrupt the regeneration process before it is complete. This can lead to the DPF becoming more loaded with soot than it should, and (with interrupted regens) the engine lubricating oil taking on a higher unburnt fuel content than designed. [The Sprinter is the only vehicle I've had where the oil warning light triggers on too high a level as well as too low.]

The standard recommendation from Mercedes is to be sure to periodically (several hundred miles or so) operate the vehicle for at least 20 or 30 minutes "at load" (e.g. cruising at highway speeds) in order to let the regeneration process take place without interruption. Some forum members suggest that it is useful to monitor for the regeneration process so as to avoid shutdown while regeneration is taking place. This must be done with a 3rd-party OBD-II monitoring system like the ScanGauge II since Mercedes didn't see fit to include a "regen operating" indicator in the dash displays. Some monitors can be configured to display a "regen On/Off" indicator; others can show exhaust temperatures at critical points in the system (the regeneration process raises the exhaust gas temperatures from around 500 to 600 deg F in normal operation to close to 1200 deg F during regeneration).

The NCV3 was the generation of Sprinter where the SCR and DPF systems were introduced, and the early model years including these systems (2010-2014 or so) seemed to have a higher failure rate of SCR and DPF components (including sensors) than more recent models. However, their added complexity seems to bring increased risk of failures and expensive repairs (once out of warranty) even in recent model years. Being aware of how to maintain them properly, knowing how to spot possible problems with them, and being conscious of your warranty coverage rights are important "extra" concerns that you would not have with a standard automobile gasoline engine.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
One thing I will do is carry one liter of M-B spec motor oil. That kind of oil is not universally obtainable. Though I haven't yet had occasion to use it, it's nice to know that I have a liter available should I need it. And it doesn't take up a lot of space, next to my gallon of DEF....
I also carry a couple of quarts of BEVO approved Mobil 1 ESP oil.
And I did add a quart, but only shortly after I had it serviced at the MB dealership.
I guess they save money by only putting 12 quarts in.
Never had to add between 10k OCIs when I did the change.

One thing I will do is carry one liter of M-B spec motor oil. That kind of oil is not universally obtainable. ...
Finding low ash oil in North America is not as bad these days as it once was.

Although I too carry some extra oil, there's no urgent need to add oil just because it is at the bottom of the dipstick ok range. The engine is fine with that oil level.

As an aside.
If anyone is ever stuck for replacing oil in an emergency Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w-40 (blue jug) is one alternate engine oil. It is MB228.31 approved. It is low ash SAP, but just not low enough to meet the newer specs. A quart of it for top off would be fine.

For that matter there are a bunch of 15w-40 turbo diesel oils that meet MB228.31 so that would work too.

But...
Under normal circumstances you'll be able to find MB229.51 or MB229.52 oil somewhere in the area.

:2cents: vic

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Newbie here just purchased our 2020 Midwest /AC Patriot B class on a 2019 Sprinter Ext 170 - 3500 Chasiss V6 Diesel ....just wanted to have an idea of what to buy for fluids JIC we needed ....

OIL ... do we buy Mobil 1 ESP. 0W-30 ????
Yep

Coolant????
Shouldn't be using any. If you are, have dealer diagnose. Distilled water from grocery is fine for topping up, if needed. Otherwise, use MB coolant.

Do we need any fuel treatment?
You shouldn't unless you plan on seeing temps well below zero. Something to keep fuel from gelling can help.

Any other things we need know? We have read the manual but there is little information and all the fluids are MB numbers for Mercedes dealer .
Nothing else to know. We don't carry any fluids with us. I change the oil at 10K miles, so that's about when we'd need to add a quart.

Lastly .... the coolant light comes on when we first crank but then goes off in a few minutes. ..Overflow coolant is at half way full.
When cold, coolant should be between Min and Max. If you are losing coolant, have it checked. You shouldn't see a coolant light that early in your ownership.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Steve and Daphne

See above.

MidwestB

I also carry a couple of quarts of BEVO approved Mobil 1 ESP oil.
And I did add a quart, but only shortly after I had it serviced at the MB dealership.
I guess they save money by only putting 12 quarts in.
Never had to add between 10k OCIs when I did the change.

Thanks!

MidwestB

Your factory manuals should have some information on Service A/Service B (the "minor" and "major" service visit types that Mercedes uses to roughly separate shorter-lived items from longer-lived items). The timing for them is variable; there is a monitoring system in the van that will prompt you for Service A (sometimes shown as one wrench) or Service B (two wrenches). You have a VS30 and I'm not familiar with how it shows you this info, but the NCV3 with the "pixel display" and steering wheel buttons let's you bring the miles/kilometers until the next service in the display.

A key driver of the interval between service visits is the oil change interval. Under certain conditions Mercedes would have you believe (on the NCV3, anyway) that the oil change interval can be as much as 20,000 miles. This would put your first Service A at 20,000 miles. If you read the forum a bit, you will see that the oil change interval is a contentious issue. Many who post about it believe that 20,000 is a bit long. I decided to use a 10,000 mile oil change interval myself (based on my typical driving), so I had my first Service A done at 10,000 miles; I now have about 17k miles on my van and will next have the oil changed at 20,000 miles but I'll wait until 30,000 miles for a full Service B visit.

So far with my van there are two new-to-me monitoring/maintenance issues with the Sprinter diesel engine systems:

(1) The Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system that reduces NOx gases in the exhaust uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). This fluid must be replenished at a rate much lower than filling the fuel tank but higher than typical service visits. This means that the owner/operator must monitor the DEF level and fill it up periodically. I have twice filled my DEf tank at 2-1/2 gallons per fill (out of a 5+ gallon tank), plus MB topped my van off at delivery to me and at my Service A at 10,000 miles. The rate at which DEF is consumed is variable depending on your driving and your "DEF mileage" may be different. Although there is a warning system in your vehicle for when the DEF is "low", waiting until you are warned has been associated by forum members with a greater risk of failure in the DEF delivery system. DEF crystallizes in air, and forum members suspect that letting elements of the DEF storage system that are normally submerged in DEF get exposed to air leads to crystallization of DEF on those elements, which causes them to fail.

The approaches to dealing with this special maintenance issue vary, in part due to the fact that DEF has a shelf life and storage conditions affect the shelf life, and in part due to concerns about the DEF level dropping "too low" before it is replenished. My approach is to monitor my DEF level (I check it when I fuel up and sometimes when I'm on the road), and when it gets near the 1/2 full level I buy name brand DEF from a high-turnover source (so that I don't get old stock) in a 2-1/2 gallon container. Once it hits the 1/2 level I carefully fill my DEF tank from the 2-1/2 gallon container (which is completely consumed) and dispose of the container.

Some people have found the 2-1/2 gallon containers to be unwieldy. Spilled DEF must be cleaned up immediately (flushed with a lot of water) so it is desirable to avoid spilling it. They use smaller DEF bottles with a spring-loaded valve that opens when the bottle is mated with the fill tube. Some top off their DEF more frequently; if one uses truck stops this can be accomplished using DEF pumps at the truck islands (DEF is used by large over-the-road diesel trucks as well) but bear in mind that these pumps may be co-located with diesel fuel pumps that have a much higher rate of fill than typical auto fuel pumps.

(2) The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) system captures solid particles (soot) and then periodically burns them off in a process called "regeneration". Regeneration is accomplished by adding diesel fuel to the exhaust where it then combusts in the DPF. The regen process takes something like 10 or 15 minutes. For regeneration to work correctly, the engine/exhaust system must remain above a certain operating temperature for the duration of the regen. Frequent short trips don't get the system to the right temperature, and/or interrupt the regeneration process before it is complete. This can lead to the DPF becoming more loaded with soot than it should, and (with interrupted regens) the engine lubricating oil taking on a higher unburnt fuel content than designed. [The Sprinter is the only vehicle I've had where the oil warning light triggers on too high a level as well as too low.]

The standard recommendation from Mercedes is to be sure to periodically (several hundred miles or so) operate the vehicle for at least 20 or 30 minutes "at load" (e.g. cruising at highway speeds) in order to let the regeneration process take place without interruption. Some forum members suggest that it is useful to monitor for the regeneration process so as to avoid shutdown while regeneration is taking place. This must be done with a 3rd-party OBD-II monitoring system like the ScanGauge II since Mercedes didn't see fit to include a "regen operating" indicator in the dash displays. Some monitors can be configured to display a "regen On/Off" indicator; others can show exhaust temperatures at critical points in the system (the regeneration process raises the exhaust gas temperatures from around 500 to 600 deg F in normal operation to close to 1200 deg F during regeneration).

The NCV3 was the generation of Sprinter where the SCR and DPF systems were introduced, and the early model years including these systems (2010-2014 or so) seemed to have a higher failure rate of SCR and DPF components (including sensors) than more recent models. However, their added complexity seems to bring increased risk of failures and expensive repairs (once out of warranty) even in recent model years. Being aware of how to maintain them properly, knowing how to spot possible problems with them, and being conscious of your warranty coverage rights are important "extra" concerns that you would not have with a standard automobile gasoline engine.

Really appreciate all your help!

MidwestB

MB Sprinter Dealer put van on rack and test drove... all checked out good... no problems.

Generator was source our noise and Dealership topped off coolant but found no problems.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Really appreciate all your help!
No worries. Note that you can use the "Thanks" button at the bottom of a post to recognize its value to you without posting a quote and writing in thanks. This may seem more impersonal, but the forum will use the "thanks" button to count coup; it shows the number of times people have been "thanked" (and have politely said "thanks") off to the left with each of their posts.

Top Bottom