Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #31
Dbiker

Default Re: Removing the electric step

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint-err View Post
I have also removed my OEM electric step and was presented with the buzzers and dash warnings.

I tried the 2 different jumpers suggested by ptheland and was not happy with either one (you either have to put up with the sliding door open buzzer or the dash lights and beeping...).

Next I unplugged my PSM. This also does not yield a complete result. The sliding door buzzer and the dash beeping are gone, but there is still a red warning about the step on the dash when you first turn on the van (image attached). But there is no beeping of any kind, and the red warning goes away after you start up the van and get on the road. I'm sticking with this "fix" for the time being as it is the least annoying.

I think the only way to shut this whole thing down may be to take it to the dealer to have the step deleted from the van's computer. Or maybe try to wire up ptheland's circuit with the relays to simulate the step.

Anyone have any other bright ideas?

BTW, the PSM is easy to unplug, once you pull it out of the rail that is holding it:

1. Pull the driver's seat all the way forward and lift the foam cover under there. Locate the PSM under the driver's seat. It's a black box slightly larger than a pack of cards and is on the first raised rail all the way to the left of the rail.

2. There are 2 tabs on either side of the PSM that you have to push away from you (if you are facing the back of the driver's seat). These are best released with a small screwdriver as the space is tight for getting your fingers in there.

3. Simultaneously push the 2 tabs and pull up on the PSM and it should pull straight up and out.

4. You can now more easily unplug it by pushing the locking tabs on the 2 connectors and pulling the connectors out.
Hello,

Did removing the PSM have any negative effect on other functions of the van? I'm concerned that removing it would disrupt other systems within the van.

Thanks,
D
Dbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #32
sprint-err

Hi Dbiker,

No, there were no effects on my van's other systems. As I understand it, the PSM is intended to be used by third party body builders and RV conversion places when they're adding functionality to the van. The factory installed electric step is one of the few items that is controlled by the PSM from the factory. So if your van isn't a conversion, unplugging the PSM shouldn't affect anything. And if you do notice something not working, the PSM is very easy to plug back in and you'll get all of the functionality restored if it was being controlled from the PSM.

Hope that helps!
sprint-err is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprint-err For This Useful Post:
Klowe74 (11-29-2018)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:10 AM   #33
Samd83

Any idea where to buy parts for these steps? I want to replace the motor
Samd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #34
Darcy Quapp

Ok so I removed my step .... pulled the module under the seat and jumpered the blue and brown wires . All good except for the red warning on the dash....
Darcy Quapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #35
turbo911

any of you guys not using your psm anymore i would like to get one
turbo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #36
RPacher1

Hi all and thanks for the wealth of info that available here, first post.

I have a hi-top 144 passenger 4X4 with the electric step that I would like to remove. I also have the roof-top factory AC and fuel fired booster heater. I fear these may integrate with the PSM thus I'm fearful of unplugging it to quiet down the noise and lights. Any advise?
RPacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote