NCV3 "heat shield" 2008 - 3500

dondiver

Just got my van (Winnebago View - 2008 NCV3 - 3500) back from a MB dealer and the center engine cover / heat shield has been removed. They have said it is because it rubs some wires and MB has said to remove. I don't see any wires that would hit it, don't have a problem with it being removed - if it is not needed, but I wanted to hear from some others that agree or disagree about removing the heat shield - center engine cover between air filter and fuel filter.

Thanks,
Don

Daystar

The main engine wiring harness comes over the driver side valve cover and can chaff. I caught mine before any damage was done and modified the underside of the engine cover. I give it a good inspection each time I change the fuel filter. I tried going without the cover, but the engine noise in the cab was louder than I want.

We dont have an engine cover on our 2007 with 157K.. from what i was told (garbage in garbage out) a lot of versions dont even have one from the factory.

We were told not to worry so we haven't...

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Just got my van (Winnebago View - 2008 NCV3 - 3500) back from a MB dealer and the center engine cover / heat shield has been removed. They have said it is because it rubs some wires and MB has said to remove. I don't see any wires that would hit it, don't have a problem with it being removed - if it is not needed, but I wanted to hear from some others that agree or disagree about removing the heat shield - center engine cover between air filter and fuel filter.

Thanks,
Don
I keep mine off... The reason for that is that on 07-09 Sprinter the seals of the water sensor that goes in the fuel filter fail and leak diesel, especially in the winter. It is easier to see when it starts leaking and fix it without the center cover on.

spawnywhippet

Does anyone have the part number for this shield? I cannot find it with google or exploded parts diagrams. (2007 Sprinter 3.0 diesel)

lindenengineering

Caution
The cover was deleted on Blurrtecs and probably for good reason as originally it was a Dodge thing.
If you work on these rigs long enough you will reason why the cover was deleted.
Dennis

lindenengineering

No!
The CD14 engine running until phase out end of 2009 was notorious for suffering from EKAS heat reflection wearing the operating linkage creating costly replacements Over the years the plastic operating linkage has been improved considerably being more heat /wear resistant, but the majority of problems created by Pierborgs' EKAS system are heat related worn linkage even into later Blurrtec CD16 units .

The engine harness is !!!!!!--
:thumbdown:
Well made in Germany, and frankly is crap.
Sadly all German cars have crap wiring harnesses, what more can I state ! ,The sockets/pins and continuity tend to suffer over time, and go hard by heat reflection. This causes poor communication and tiresome CEL faults.
Great for Euro repair shop revenues like mine , but bad for owners beguiled by this stuff made in Germany
Not up to Sumitomo (Toyota /Lexus) standards nor even ISO 9000 Ford harnesses for sure!

Changing out defective harnesses was a monthly chore during the Dodge days (great money spinner) but with 2010 and MB van badged introductions the top cover was deleted and things improved somewhat.
I think we can take reference to its deletion as a service signal low cost improvement .

I have also listened to tech pundits who point the finger at premature turbo impellor disintegration on these CD 14 engines as a direct link to heat under the cover . Of course later Garret turbo impellors were machined from solid billet improvement being a vast improvement which coincided with cover deletion , So I will leave you to to conclude any relevance on that problem.
Dennis

Last edited:

Top Bottom