Spray (gun) adhesive recommendations?

IPT

I'm going to put 1/4" foam down, and then some fabric over that for bed panels. So a large area, like 74x56 or something. Plus the lower wall panels too. I know I can use the 3M hi strength 90 in the can, but that's going to be a lot of cans. I'd love to use the Dap Weldwood Contact Adhesive - Landau Top and Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray - but I can't get it locally and no-one will ship it here (Alaska). At least not from Amazon or Ebay and I suspect it'd cost an arm and a leg even if I could find someone to ship it.

So local options are the spray cans as mentioned, or the original formula at the big box store https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Weldwo...dhesive-Actual-Net-Contents-128-fl-oz/3033218. Can this be sprayed though? Seems like it'd be a lot smoother and easier to spray this stuff on. I have a compressor and some cheep guns perfect for the job.

Suggestions and recommendations sought and appreciated.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You can do a google search, but properly thinned, most contact adhesives will spray fine. I am not sure what solvent to use though.

You can also by large/wide rolls of pressure sensitive adhesive. Basically that peel and stick stuff that you see on many products. Hein sells some I think? You could put that down as well.

GSWatson

2013 144
That’s actually a pretty small area. A couple cans of spray 90 should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wankel7

Do a few test pieces to make sure it all works.

What kind of foam?

Great Stuff is an amazing adhesive. Super 90 seems to melt xps

Shawn182

That’s actually a pretty small area. A couple cans of spray 90 should be fine.
Agreed...we used to occasionally spray a lot of foam at my work and we ditched the spray system for just 3M 90 cans...so unless you are concerned about waste in throwing away cans, the spray gun will be way more hassle than its worth for what you are doing IMO.

While you never really get the coverage area any spay advertises...one can of 3M 90 actually covers quite a bit.

Last edited:

IPT

Thanks for all the input. The foam is a closed cell cross linked polyolefin foam. I have some of the 3M 90 stuff so I will test it out.

I would be curious though what you could thin the other contact adhesive with if anyone knows. My guess is the spray can will maybe do the wood to foam, and part of the fabric but that's it. It would have to be cheaper to thin the gallon. Not to mention as of now this is all mostly just a trial. I'll likely re-do a lot of it next year once I decide and see how and what the usage of the van actually ends up being.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Methyl ethyl ketone, or xylene would probably work. They are pretty nasty, so do it outdoors, or wear a carbon filer mask.

Top Bottom