Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #21
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 5,895 Posts
Default Re: Li-Ion Drop in Battery Upgrade

Another way to "cover the panels": work at night (or in a garage)

--dick (not meant as a joke ... some people don't realize that "night" can serve as a work-around)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Klipstr (10-17-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,615 Times in 817 Posts

How about this for a Li battery upgrade, https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...gOXmVFqUnW_9gY. Finally a Dealer is getting smart about offering aftermarket upgrades that discerning buyers may opt for. I'm guessing you could probably schedule and appointment with Volta to get the system installed like you can with Equalizer for Levelers. Sound like a great system. I really like the auto engine start feature to recharge your batteries when they get low. I'm not a Boondocker but would certainly appreciate that you can run AC anywhere and for hours at a time. I really would love to have an all electric Unity! I don't know what the cost is but I see there is about $20k difference in the price of a Winnebago Travato if you opt for the Pure Energy Management System (48v Volta System). I'm guessing it won't be long until Winnebago offers it as an option on their View/Navion.

Last edited by SSTraveler; 10-21-2019 at 02:26 PM.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
RichNJohn (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #23
Winterbagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
How about this for a Li battery upgrade, https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...gOXmVFqUnW_9gY. Finally a Dealer is getting smart about offering aftermarket upgrades that discerning buyers may opt for. I'm guessing you could probably schedule and appointment with Volta to get the system installed like you can with Equalizer for Levelers. Sound like a great system. I really like the auto engine start feature to recharge your batteries when they get low. I'm not a Boondocker but would certainly appreciate that you can run AC anywhere and for hours at a time. I really would love to have an all electric Unity!
Wonder how long it takes idling the Sprinter engine to even partially replenish that many watt hours in the battery bank? Sort of goes against the recent mantra about extended idling of the MB diesel engine. How much solar is up top I also wonder? Looked like the now deadly to fibreglass roof surfaces flex panels.
Interesting, none the less.
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Last edited by Winterbagoal; 10-21-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
Shadow5501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Wonder how long it takes idling the Sprinter engine to even partially replenish that many watt hours in the battery bank? Sort of goes against the recent mantra about extended idling of the MB diesel engine. How much solar is up top I also wonder? Looked like the now deadly to fibreglass roof surfaces flex panels.
Interesting, none the less.
Itís an 18 kilowatt-hour battery and and 8 kilowatt alternator. So probably about 3 hours charge time from empty to full. The solar looks to be the standard 400 watt factory system, so not that good. Iím guessing the setup cost at least $25k. The energy storage is the equivalent of 14 or 15 Battleborns.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #25
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,615 Times in 817 Posts

I agree it isn't recommended to idle a Sprinter, but having the engine start automatically would certainly get your attention. I think it just shows that Volta has Engineered a complete system. If the RV Manufacturers offering this option don't also offer all electric appliances then you are still only part way to an all electric coach. Even the Travato still uses a propane cooktop, they do offer the NovaKool compressor Refrigerator and the Truma Combi which gives you electric water heater and furnace. I can't see buying a new rig, changing out new appliances for all electric appliances and spending another $20k for the ultimate all electric power system. You'd be pushing $200k for a Unity and still stuck finding a way to get rid of the essentially brand new appliances you removed. I just think it's interesting to see a manufacturers movement in the Class B and C market to all electric. The Class A industry has had it for sometime.

Last edited by SSTraveler; 10-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #26
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

I'm with SSTraveler - expensive, leaves some problems unsolved, but it's a very interesting development. That system seems to have an engine auto-start and it would have to have the fast idle kit, both to protect the engine and to get more power off the 2nd alternator. I'm sure you'd still have to watch your usage - it's not going to give you 24/7 air conditioning for sure! Still, if you drove a lot between dry camping sites, and you were very aware of electric usage, it'd be a very interesting rig to drive - after all, you have to drive every so many days anyway to dump and fill. The solar is a bit of a weak point in this system - I don't think you can put much more than 5-600 watts on the roof - that'd give you a max of around 125-150 Ah on a good day, and that's not much when you're trying to recharge 18 kwh of batteries - it'd take over a week to recharge with solar alone. I'd love to see real-life reports from whoever ends up driving that rig!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #27
imstilllarry

I'd much rather have something like this www.wattfuelcell.com

2014 UMB 2013 Sprinter 3500
imstilllarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #28
Winterbagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Itís an 18 kilowatt-hour battery and and 8 kilowatt alternator. So probably about 3 hours charge time from empty to full. The solar looks to be the standard 400 watt factory system, so not that good. Iím guessing the setup cost at least $25k. The energy storage is the equivalent of 14 or 15 Battleborns.
So, the problem is still how to replenish the power used in a reasonable amount of time and in a relatively efficient manner. I wouldn't be idling my engine for 3 hours to recharge them, as the damage could be very costly to repair/replace. The solar seems inadequate as designed, but there's only so much real estate on top to work with.
If you were a "tourer" as opposed to a "destination camper", the recharging would be helped by the driving between stops.
James Dyson recently scrapped their EV car project, after determining they couldn't build one that was financially viable. The story said they had an army of engineers working on it for 2 years.
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
DiverBob
2018 Unity TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Wonder how long it takes idling the Sprinter engine to even partially replenish that many watt hours in the battery bank? Sort of goes against the recent mantra about extended idling of the MB Diesel engine.
At the 2019 Winkler Rally the MB reps gave a tech talk and said that it is OK to idle up to 2-3 hours so long as you take it out for at least 20 minutes at highway speeds to allow the emissions system to cycle. This is assuming that you are feeding your Sprinter mostly B5 or less diesel. If you are using greater than B5 regularly then idle should be limited to 5 minutes or less. Also the occasional tank full of B20 isnít harmful so long as you are traveling and keeping the engine hot, should never store your Sprinter with B20 fuel, thatís just asking for engine issues later.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #30
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

The idle issue keeps reappearing. Remember that prolonged "normal speed" idling is not the same as prolonged "high speed" idling. Mercedes has several high speed idle modifications, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation about prolonged high speed idle and possible engine damage. It's certainly done - there are fleets of refrigerated trucks, for example. Here's an older thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49531