Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,864 Posts
Default Re: Winegard ConnecT 2.0 on new Unity models

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaSteve View Post
I don't use that feature though, because I have the Verizon prepaid $65 Unlimited plan (true unlimited, no throttling,
Could you send a link to the T's & C's of this alleged plan? For the reason I have stated, I simply do not believe that such a plan exists. Many, many people have made this claim. None has ever held up.

By "unlimited", I mean not data cap, no throttling, no network management. If you mean something else, then just ignore this.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
Simplified
2019 Unity TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Could you send a link to the T's & C's of this alleged plan? For the reason I have stated, I simply do not believe that such a plan exists. Many, many people have made this claim. None has ever held up.

By "unlimited", I mean not data cap, no throttling, no network management. If you mean something else, then just ignore this.

The Verizon unlimited plan is no longer available. They cut it off last spring. But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simplified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplified View Post
The Verizon unlimited plan is no longer available. They cut it off last spring. But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.
Can you point to the Ts&Cs of this no-longer-available plan. My apologies, but I simply don't believe you.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #14
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Talking with the LTV tech last week at Winkler...it's possible that Winegard 2.0 may go obsolete as telecom companies develop 5G. Leaving you with a high priced television antenna attached to your roof.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #15
Natuzzi

Quote:
Can you point to the Ts&Cs of this no-longer-available plan. My apologies, but I simply don't believe you.
Sorry but Simplified is correct. I looked into the plan at the time but it didn’t meet our needs usage at the time when factoring in $20 vs. $65 per month. Believe it or not, there was such a plan. It was subject to throttling during heavy congestion but how much data congestion is going to occur in the areas where most RV’ers are parked. Several folks on the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts group got in on this deal while it lasted.
Natuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #16
Natuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoClinks View Post
Talking with the LTV tech last week at Winkler...it's possible that Winegard 2.0 may go obsolete as telecom companies develop 5G. Leaving you with a high priced television antenna attached to your roof.
We will all be in the home gumming our food before 5G is operational on a large scale.
Natuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natuzzi For This Useful Post:
alichty (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #17
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natuzzi View Post
Sorry but Simplified is correct. I looked into the plan at the time but it didnít meet our needs usage at the time when factoring in $20 vs. $65 per month. Believe it or not, there was such a plan. It was subject to throttling during heavy congestion but how much data congestion is going to occur in the areas where most RVíers are parked. Several folks on the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts group got in on this deal while it lasted.
Yes, I totally believe that. But that is not what Simplified said. He said:

Quote:
But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.
Such plans do not exist, which is my only point. There are many plans around that are labeled "unlimited", but are in fact throttled.

I am not at all saying that this isn't a good plan--especially for RVers, as you say. But the posted claim is inaccurate. There are many situations where throttling is problematic. But I agree that RVing is generally not one of them.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #18
Simplified
2019 Unity TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natuzzi View Post
Sorry but Simplified is correct. I looked into the plan at the time but it didnít meet our needs usage at the time when factoring in $20 vs. $65 per month. Believe it or not, there was such a plan. It was subject to throttling during heavy congestion but how much data congestion is going to occur in the areas where most RVíers are parked. Several folks on the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts group got in on this deal while it lasted.

There is a difference between Network Management and throttling. Throttling makes it pretty much useless and occurs in some plans when you go past their 15 or 20 GB limit in a month. Network Management only happens in congested areas and is still at least a useable speed. The Verizon plan was Network Managed.

I don't know where to find the T and C for an expired plan but I studied it carefully back when it was being offered and heard many good reports from those using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Simplified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #19
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplified View Post
There is a difference between Network Management and throttling. Throttling makes it pretty much useless and occurs in some plans when you go past their 15 or 20 GB limit in a month. Network Management only happens in congested areas and is still at least a useable speed. The Verizon plan was Network Managed.

I don't know where to find the T and C for an expired plan but I studied it carefully back when it was being offered and heard many good reports from those using it.
Network management can be just as bad as throttling if the conditions are right. For example, if everybody in a neighborhood dropped their cable modems and FIOS service and switched to G4 (which is exactly what would happen if true "unlimited" plans existed).

I have defined my terms. "Unlimited" as I mean it means, no data limit, no throttling, and no network management. I don't care how the service providers define the term. They are all "limited".

Again, I am not saying that this isn't a great plan for a typical RVer, just that it is not unlimited.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #20
TampaSteve
2018/2019 Unity CB

There is no such thing as a non network managed plan, meaning you could run it 150 Mbps, 24 hours a day, 7 days of week. Not sure how many terabytes a month that is I don't have a calculator handy.

That said, not all network management is created equally. Most plans today are not really unlimited, but have some hard cap beyond which most streaming is impossible, say 22 or 50 GB.

I have 2 sims in my router that are truly unlimited. One is the Verizon $65 prepaid, no longer available. You run at the lowest priority on the cell. That usually means I still get 30-50 Mbps unlimited, as long as the tower is not overloaded in which case I can become deprioritized but certainly not noticeable while streaming video.

The other one is the AT&T prepaid SIM I have is the infamous "ipad" plan, $34.99, unlimited, no throttling, no caps. also subject to "deprioritization". I have a neighbor that uses 100-200 GB every month and runs his whole house with it. I'm sure that violates TOS.

Quote:
TampaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote