Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #21
imstilllarry

SST I had the DEF countdown twice with a full tank DEF. Took several trips to Mercedes to diagnose a bad NOX sensor. That fixed it. Pretty helpless when it's full, telling you it's not, and warning it going to shut down in few starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imstilllarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imstilllarry For This Useful Post:
miskolci (07-25-2016), SSTraveler (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
hotfudge
2015.5 Unity TB

Default Re: What else can fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstilllarry View Post
SST I had the DEF countdown twice with a full tank DEF. Took several trips to Mercedes to diagnose a bad NOX sensor. That fixed it. Pretty helpless when it's full, telling you it's not, and warning it going to shut down in few starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dittos on imstilllarry's experience. At 3500 miles on the speedo, low DEF warning and check engine lights came on. I immediately purchased and added 2.5 gals of urea fluid. Alarms and lights would not reset after numerous starts. Then the dreaded 'countdown' began. Fortunately, I was near a MB dealer in Denver. They diagnosed a bad NOx sensor. Replaced it (along with reconnecting the shift cable...which is another story for another day) and now at 8000 miles, all is peachy!
hotfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotfudge For This Useful Post:
SSTraveler (08-15-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 04:24 AM   #23
Ronnie

2015 Unity...3rd trip out we went to switch the hot water heater over to electric and it caught fire. Repair said there was a leak in the gas line in the outside compartment. Manufacturer or dealer should have caught this.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

Well, I just re-read this post, and I'm not sure I have the nerve to say this, but... On this trip, everything that I've fixed is working correctly. No DEF warnings, no sticking slide, no blowouts (we now have metal valve stems going to flex extenders in the back), HW works, A/C works (though my back still hurts from getting it up onto the roof and installing it). Fridge still not cooling well, even on 120vac, but it ALMOST gets town to 40 overnight. Oh, and I DID notice that the stabilizers don't go down - but I don't usually use them, so what the heck?... On the road again, all's [almost] good <lol>...

BTW - SSTraveler, do you KNOW FOR SURE that those stems were OEM? I lost 3 rear tires before I replaced them, but I assumed that a PO had gotten those stems installed when they got the flex valve extenders installed for the duallies. If those are OEM, it's sure a case of penny wise and pound foolish! The extra weight of the flexible extenders apparently makes the stems vibrate at speed, and they fail by splitting where they pass through the rim - and boom, another tire done for...

Last edited by Peter Tourin; 08-18-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Peter Tourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #25
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,616 Times in 818 Posts

The low pressure rubber stems were original to my coach and in my research they come from Mercedes, on the Sprinter chassis, with these low pressure rubber stems on all the wheels. I was told it's because the tires are rated light duty truck tires. Three of my six have new high pressure metal stems on them. I replace them as I have problems, last three are back tires. To me this is the most worrisome thing on the whole coach, I don't know why Leisure doesn't set up the tires correctly, balanced, with stems and stabilizers that are easy to air and mount TPMS on. They don't even do this with the Alcoa Aluminum Rims Option. This is the biggest short coming to this rig in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
J&B
2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
The low pressure rubber stems were original to my coach and in my research they come from Mercedes, on the Sprinter chassis, with these low pressure rubber stems on all the wheels. I was told it's because the tires are rated light duty truck tires. Three of my six have new high pressure metal stems on them. I replace them as I have problems, last three are back tires. To me this is the most worrisome thing on the whole coach, I don't know why Leisure doesn't set up the tires correctly, balanced, with stems and stabilizers that are easy to air and mount TPMS on. They don't even do this with the Alcoa Aluminum Rims Option. This is the biggest short coming to this rig in my opinion.
They don't even do this with the Alcoa Aluminum Rims Option. This is the biggest short coming to this rig in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree with the above remark. On the contrary, LTV installs and balances the optional Alcoa Dura Bright wheels (6) onto the MB 3500 chassis cab. They do not balance the steel wheels that come from MB balanced. I recently made a post regarding this subject. Our Alcoa wheels on our Unity came with the solid steel valve extenders. I have posted photos of my Alcoa DB wheels. They are functional and easy to reach and screw on the TMS. Darrell at LTV was kind enough to take photos of the balancing machine (Hofmann Geodyna 3900 S) along with the special adpaters required for balancing the Sprinter wheels. They do mostly static balancing on the outer rear wheels to prevent the weights from showing. Sometimes it requires the stickies on outside rear rims. The front wheels are dynamic balanced. They mostly use the stick on weights. If anyone is interested, I can upload the photos he sent me. J&B
MSDVLD (08-18-2015), TwoClinks (08-19-2015), VaVet96 (11-07-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #27
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,616 Times in 818 Posts

I looked at that thread and saw the troubles you had with the Alcoa Rims, but I am glad to learn they are setup better than the steel wheels. As a first time buyer I wish more information would have been available on the differences between the steel wheels and aluminum wheel setup. At the time I bought I couldn't find any information and didn't know enough to ask questions. In hind sight I would have choosen the Alcoa Rims because on the whole there is still less to go wrong. Seems balancing could be the only problem encountered in the first couple thousand miles, nothing that is gonna strand you on the side of the road like the steel wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
Dacar (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #28
J&B
2015.5 UnityMB U-Lounge

I totally agree, but there is a caveat that comes with the Alcoa DB wheels. It's been difficult to find an authorized M-B Sprinter 3500 dealership in northern CA that is equipped to balance/handle the Alcoa DB wheels. I've made over 20 phones calls all over northern CA and I now feel qualified to write an Alcoa 101 Manual The Alcoa DB wheels clean up nicely and they are really nice looking and most important, very functional. I think LTV has only been selling as an option the DB wheels for little over a year now. Being an expensive option, the sales volume (I'm guessing)hasn't been high, but that may be changing with the 2016 Unity orders and increased interest in the DB wheels. I don't know if the servicing (ie tire balancing) is a regional problem on the west coast? J&B
Old 08-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #29
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Default What else can fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B View Post
I totally agree, but there is a caveat that comes with the Alcoa DB wheels. It's been difficult to find an authorized M-B Sprinter 3500 dealership in northern CA that is equipped to balance/handle the Alcoa DB wheels. I've made over 20 phones calls all over northern CA and I now feel qualified to write an Alcoa 101 Manual I don't know if the servicing (ie tire balancing) is a regional problem on the west coast? J&B

It must be a local problem. I had my Alcoas mounted and balanced with new Michelin tires by Sun Motors Sprinter dealer in Mechanicsburg, PA

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #30
Don Horner
2012 Unity IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
...Turned out when we had the propane refilled the person didn't turn the valve close switch to off before they filled the propane causing an over pressurization of the whole system so the entire system had to be detached from each appliance and thawed out and aired out and then hooked back together...
It's not the responsibility of the person filling the propane to turn the system off. That's your responsibility. Propane dispenser operatives have no idea how the great variety of RV's are set up and how to turn them off. Some have switches outside, some have valves, some have switches inside.

Besides, whether the switch is on or off has no effect on whether the tank is properly filled. If it was overfilled, that was a failure of the autostop mechanism that will block the fill valve and prevent overfills. There is also a bleed valve the filler is supposed to open that will bleed clouds of vapor when the tank is full. Especially on Sprinters with LP Gas generators, only one of the regulators is controlled by the off/on switch -- the other, leading to the generator, is always on.

Finally, I have no idea what happened according to your description -- if a tank is overfilled, it can be bled off by opening any gas source. There is no rational reason to disconnect every appliance. I have no idea what is meant by "thawing". It sounds like you had incompetent advice and service -- which may be the source of many of your problems.
miskolci (07-25-2016)