Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
MarkCooperstein
2014 Unity TB

Default What else can fail?

This is my whine rant, don't really expect any constructive comments, I just feel the need to get this off my chest so to say!

I have a 2014 Unity TB. It has just under ten thousand miles on it. To date, my retractable stairs have failed twice. The first time LTV sent me a new motor. The second time they sent me an entire new stair assembly.

I have had a fault with the ABS system, MB Sprinter fixed that.

The radio antennae broke off, but the snow last winter was responsible for that so I can only blame mother nature for that. Still, LTV did not install the antennae in the Mercedes recommended place, if they had, replacing it would have been a breeze. Instead they decided to install it higher up necessitating removal of some of the interior ceiling to get to it.

Two weeks ago my Fantastic Fan in the bathroom failed. The rain sensor stopped working. I discovered this because during a heavy rain storm I noticed it was still up. When I got inside to shut it I had a small flood on the bathroom floor. The good people at Fantastic Fan are sending me a new circuit board and rain sensor to fix it.

Three days ago my LP generator has failed. It comes up with an over voltage error message. I will have to drive it three hours to Cummins/Onan to be repaired next week when I get back from my trip to New York.

I realize some of this has nothing to do with LTV as the failures are in ancillary equipment they didn't manufacture. Still, I think I must be unlucky with this RV, too much is breaking too soon.

Mark.

Addendum: when it rains it pours! I pulled into a KOA tonight, made supper, went to do the dishes and...no not water. I have the Girard on demand hot water heater. And yes Virginia, I have plenty of propane! I ended up heating water on the stove to do the dishes. Is there a reset button or something on these units? The manual doesn't show one, doesn't mean there isn't one.

Last edited by MarkCooperstein; 07-14-2015 at 01:59 AM.
MarkCooperstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkCooperstein For This Useful Post:
miskolci (07-25-2016), STAMPEDER'S FAN (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Gypsy
Gypsy

Default Re: What else can fail?

I can top you in the complaints department. I also own a 2014 Unity and I have had so many
problems with this rv. Here goes: the microwave broke just after the one year warranty. It
would start cooking on its own at night and wake me up with the beeping. The by-pass valve
under the sink failed, causing water to leak. When they removed it, it was clear that the threads
were stripped. A repairman told me that he has seen that same piece failing on other Unitys.
Would have been covered by warranty, but if I had waited for LTV to approve and send the
piece, I would not still be at the dealer.
Asked the repairman at the dealer to check the toilet, as it was sporadically not flushing. He
said he got it to flush. Not same as a repair since I left to drive home with the toilet still not
flushing.
Then, the backup camera and the side cameras stopped working. Now, I am camping at a
place without electric hookup and the generator won't stay on!!!! First, the monitor reported
that I had plenty of propane (73) but the refrigerator yelled at me when I tried to use the
propane. So I got a full tank of propane---the refrigerator is happy but the generator won't work.
I have spent so much time trying to find someone who knows how to fix these issues. The dealer
is way too busy and I don't live near one.
I am pulling my hair out. All I read is how delighted everyone is with this product while I just
wait for the next malfunction. Thanks for letting me rant.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post:
miskolci (07-25-2016), OddlyInVT (07-16-2015), pokiejoe (07-04-2016), STAMPEDER'S FAN (07-14-2015), VaVet96 (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
MarkCooperstein
2014 Unity TB

Gypsy, the generator should show an error fault code. After trying to start it, it should blink three times repeatedly. Press the stop button once, then it will blink the error code in terms of long and short blinks. In my case, it blinked one long, a pause, then two short blinks which is 12. Then look up the code in the manual to see what the diagnostic code you get means. To get it to stop blinking altogether press the stop button one more time.

Mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkCooperstein For This Useful Post:
Gypsy (07-14-2015), miskolci (07-25-2016), nwboater (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

I won't even join in this competition! You know <g>... I never though RV ownership would turn into such an engrossing, all-encompassing hobby <lol>...
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Tourin For This Useful Post:
Dawn (07-04-2016)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
rdvan@sbcglobal.net
2017 Unity MB

Gypsy,
I see you didn't list which Unity you have. That would be nice. TB, MB, CB ?
R.D. Vanderslice
2014 Unity MB
rdvan@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Eastbayview
2012 Unity MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tourin View Post
I won't even join in this competition! You know <g>... I never though RV ownership would turn into such an engrossing, all-encompassing hobby <lol>...
Yes, Peter you have certainly had more than your share of issues with your Unity.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #7
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

I have to jump in here! My TB is almost two years old with 10,000+ miles and I have had ZERO issues with the MB, components or LTV construction! Quite frankly, it is the first RV I've ever owned that has not been back to the dealer. On the other hand, I can identify with a lot of the issues posted here when it comes to my Airstream.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denis4x4 For This Useful Post:
MuskMarv (05-28-2018)
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
andrewj

There was a great quote in another thread, basically it said to spend a bunch of time googling, reading this forum and unscrewing panels and looking behind them. With some time invested in your new hobby you will quickly know more about your coach than many of the repair folks.
andrewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,615 Times in 817 Posts

There is small comfort in knowing your not the only one. This is also my first rv, and I can tell you I never would have bought one if I knew all the maintenance that is required. It's a money pit, all I do is fix things, modify or upgrade to make this thing workable and enjoyable. Your right you have to become your own expert. I thought it would be fun and less expensive to travel, but after 18 months it is just a big PITA. last night I actually had short lived thoughts of getting rid of the thing, but I just have so much invested I would never recoupe.
I need a hug
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
HighPockets (11-13-2019), rgrissett (11-11-2015), TbirdZ2 (08-25-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
MarkCooperstein
2014 Unity TB

Follow up on the tankless water heater failure... There is indeed a reset button. Thank you Rif511 for detailing where it is and how to reset it. See this thread for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkCooperstein For This Useful Post:
PAnn (06-22-2016)