Door Speakers Not Working - Even When Replaced

Hello Everyone:

So generally speaking I am very mechanically knowledgeable - however when it comes to car audio - Im a little lost.

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van with stock head unit (basic unit - CD player - no LCD screen)

The front driver and passenger side front door speakers have not been working in our sprinter since we bought it a little over a year ago.

The dash speakers work - however the doors do not (no rear speakers).

I bought a set of Rockford R1 5.25" speakers as a replacement.

I pulled the old speakers and installed the new speaks - and to my surprise - still no sound.

This leads me to believe there is either a bad connection or a blown fuse.

However from my understanding the only fuse would be for the radio - and the radio (as well as dash speakers) are working just fine.

Any ideas?

I have tried googling "Speaker Fuse", "Door speakers not working" with little luck.

The best guess I can come up with is that the AMP isn't working for that output (door speakers) - and perhaps has its own fuse or relay. Where that is - I have no idea - as I have reviewed all the fuses and do not see one for speakers or an amp.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Vonvendetta

Curious to see how you mounted it since they have a dumb hole pattern on sprinters. You could try running the wires direct to the back plug on the unit to make sure the head unit isn't at fault.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Here are 2007 wiring diagrams:
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf <-2007 MB service manual
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-wiring-information.pdf <- wiring diagram from above
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007_Wiring-sprinter-2500.pdf <-- 3rd party wiring diagrams

There are 3 different wiring arrangements for the radio (in the 3rd party diagrams).
My suggestion would be to pull the radio and use an ohmmeter to verify the wiring from the radio connector to the speakers (it should be about 4 or 8 ohms, depending upon your speaker choice)

--dick

Curious to see how you mounted it since they have a dumb hole pattern on sprinters. You could try running the wires direct to the back plug on the unit to make sure the head unit isn't at fault.

You're correct - the hole patern doesn't match up.

Had to use self taping screws.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So is it most likely a connection problem?
I'm not sure how a (let's say) mangled wire would take out *both* door speakers.
... it could be that the radio simply isn't feeding those outputs... plug a "local" speaker into them and see (hear?) if it works.
or is there a fuse/relay related to the door speakers only?
No, as far as i know there is no separate (external) fuse for the door speakers.

There are simply two fuses involved with the radio. One is always "hot", the other may be switched by the ignition circuit.

--dick

Vonvendetta

While I don't know for sure, looking through the fuse panel diagram I don't see anything related to just speakers. If you have a voltmeter you could test continuity between the plug on the back of the radio and the end where the speaker is. I personally would tap into the speaker wire of the back of the radio plug and test it that way.

capav8r

Have you checked the "fader" setting on the radio? Set to center, not full front or back? Might be that simple...

Have you checked the "fader" setting on the radio? Set to center, not full front or back? Might be that simple...
Im going to feel really stupid if this is the issue haha.

I overlooked this answer because I would have thought that setting the fader would still allow the door speakers to work - however this is a cargo van so there are only dash speakers and door speakers - so i wouldnt be shocked if the door speakers blew and the previous owner turned up the fader to the front...

going to check this as soon as I get home.

Top Bottom