KONI 87-2661 Adjustable Front Strut/Shock NCV3 4x4

Kauluwela

Picked up van in Bend, OR and drove 300+ miles back to Seattle, WA this evening after having installed:

Van Compass Stage 5 kit
Konis (in addition to the FOX auxiliary shock that comes with the Stage 5 kit)
Van Compass Skid Kit

Looks great, definitely sits higher, especially in the rear, which I like......... Fixed the saggy rear end look....... The ride is sooooo much better. Cornering is way better. Braking 'nose diving' is reduced. Van drives great at 80 on horrible pavement. Have yet to hit forest service road washboard.

Install was done by Suspension Specialties in Bend, OR. Easy to work with and responsive to my questions. No complaints or issues. Scott Sabo was super nice and professional to work with.

Overall impression of the KONI with the FOX combo on the front is great. I love how it drives and I can just barely feel the bumps in the seat but it's so subtle. Glad I replaced the factory strut/shock with the KONI.

Thanks to Sprinter Store for the KONIs, Van Compass for designing a great bolt on and much needed upgrade kit, and to Suspension Specialties in Bend, OR for a painless install. I am a happy customer. Now to get on top of the rust that is starting to grow on the undercarriage - the woes of a ski vehicle and high humidity.

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

maz

UK Nottm 2008 315cdi4x4 van
Hello folks, I am thinking of fitting the konis on the front and the VC stage 1 kit .
The reason is I would like a more comfortable ride , here in the uk the roads are getting worse [potholes].
i will also fit some 235/85r16 tyres up profile from 225/75r16 so have more sidewall as a cushion.
If anyone has any input or suggestions on what I propose to do please add to this , thank you
Maz.

maz

Just picked up a set of KONI 87-2661 adjustable front strut/shocks for my 2016 144 4x4 High Roof Crew. Ive got about 40k on the stock suspension and will be upgrading.

Upgrades to be installed over the next few weeks:

Van Compass Stage 5
KONI 87-2661 Front Strut/Shock
Van Compass Skid
Van Compass Front 2" Receiver Hitch (we are a family of 6 and have 6 mountain bikes to haul around)

Van is riding on 255/85/16 Coopers.

QUESTIONS/COMMENTS on the KONI 87-2661:

1) Strut/Shock assembly did not come with boots/dust covers - are they intending that I use the stock cover?? I'll call the vendor and ask them about this this morning.

2) Strut/Shock did not come with any directions as to how to adjust it. Looking at the assembly I cannot see how to adjust it? Possibly the plate at the base of the shaft/top of the shock body that has two holes in it? Does it require some sort of specialty tool? I'll also call the vendor on this as well.

3) I will be using this to replace the stock strut/shock tower when I install the Van Compass Phase 5 kit, which includes a secondary Fox shock. Assuming I can figure out how to adjust the KONI 87-2661, what setting should I use? I think this might require a conversation with Van Compass so I can get the secondary fox shocks set to the right setting to cooperate with the KONI shocks.

For all the naysayers out there (someone will surely have a dissenting or negative opinion), I am replacing the stock strut/shock with a new one as it will all be taken apart, the stock MB setup is feeling a bit like a box truck (!!), and I might as well replace the wearable part while it is taken apart.

Cheers!!
Hello , how did you get on with adjusting the konis?
I got some I there is no instructions with them ( bit of a poor service from a company as well known as them).
Please let us know what you did .
I am looking for maximum comfort.
Cheers Maz.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
there are instructions and videos on the Koni Website that tells/shows how to adjust them.... it’s very easy...
a 235/85 would be great for snow but for everything else you may want a wider tire for more flotation.. personally I’d go with a 265/75, a 75 vs an 85 ratio isn’t that big of sidewall difference, not like a 50 or 55 ratio which would definitely affect ride comfort..

maz

there are instructions and videos on the Koni Website that tells/shows how to adjust them.... it’s very easy...
a 235/85 would be great for snow but for everything else you may want a wider tire for more flotation.. personally I’d go with a 265/75, a 75 vs an 85 ratio isn’t that big of sidewall difference, not like a 50 or 55 ratio which would definitely affect ride comfort..
Hello aksotar,
Thank you for your input.
Did you fit the koni shocks ? And which setting did you use?
Regarding the tyres I have steel 6.5 inch wide rims which means that 235mm wide tyres is really as wide as I would like to go on recommendation from various tyre and wheel outlets.
Cheers Maz.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Hi Maz... I set mine to the max setting, also installed Sumo Springs..
Much firmer front end ride, less body roll, less pogo feeling..
My Foxs in the back are set at 3 clicks...
I understand your tire size decision, experiment with air pressure for your comfort..
I have 285/17 KO2s and they are at 53PSI all the way around, my build is pretty light....

maz

Hi aksotar,
Thanks for informing me , i will go for the koni shocks and a VC stage 1 kit so that sould give me a better ride comfort wise.
My van only has some tools and ladders so not too heavy.
The 235/85r16 tyres will probably have 35 psi in them.
I will keep updates on this thread so others can be informed.
Cheers maz.

SOLBRTs

Wondering what the consensus from the hive mind is on the best setting for the Koni struts. Just scored a set for my 2017 4x4 144 hi. I have a light build. Run about 7050 lbs on the truck scale usually, not more than 76-7700 loaded. I also drive it more like a car than I should. Any thoughts? I’m all ears.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I’m really surprised nobody has come up with a single damper setup up front. Why would Koni go through the effort of making a strut if it’s still under damped and needs an aux Fox shock?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
who says it’s under dampened w/Konis and needs an aux shock and in what situations ?!?!
Most of the up fitters that sell both still suggest running the aux fox setup with the konis. That tells me they are underdamped. You would think it's a "Aux fox setup OR a Koni."

SOLBRTs

Wondering what the consensus from the hive mind is on the best setting for the Koni struts. Just scored a set for my 2017 4x4 144 hi. I have a light build. Run about 7050 lbs on the truck scale usually, not more than 76-7700 loaded. I also drive it more like a car than I should. Any thoughts? I’m all ears.
Struts mounted yesterday followed by an alignment. Not enough miles for a complete assessment, however, out of the gate, for anyone interested, body roll on sharp highway turns and smaller two lane switchbacks seems, at least, 30+/-% improved, definitely less drop and rebound when entering or exiting streets over ramps, feels more like my previous BMWs on cobblestone streets, you still know the cobblestones are there but feedback is more direct and clear and they aren't beating you up. Highway wandering seems slightly reduced but that could be more attributable to the alignment.

Struts are set at 100% damping. It might be a touch more than I need with my light build. It would be interesting to be able to compare 100% and 75% back to back but since you only get one shot at....

IMO for anyone getting started
FOX shocks - Greatest single improvement/upgrade
Sumo Springs - Next best upgrade
Koni struts - Next best upgrade

Also worth noting: McCoy Sprinter in PDX has a new alignment rack, no more Les Schwab. I'm told it's top of the line. They service our office/corporate Sprinter and we've always benn satisfied. I did have have a little trouble a couple of years back with my personal rig but they clearly wanted to make an effort to earn my business back. Given the current difficult climate for all busineses and all the Amazon and other delivery Sprinters needing service now, I thought giving them another shot would be appropriate. Having multiple Sprinter service options is good for everyone and sometimes it's not the problem but how you handle it that matters. So far, I'd say I'd give them business again.

radair603

Is an alignment typically needed after changing out struts? I know this thread is titled Koni but any experiences with Bilstein?

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
Comment about 'basic' commodity Koni's like these and their 'lifetime' warranty. My understanding from reading the manual, distributors, and the Motorsports community is that they're designed to be installed at the minimum adjustment, and the ~50% additional damping available thru adjustment is there to accommodate for wear over their life. They're not intended to be used at Max damping out of the gate. And, regardless, will decrease in performance as all other dampers do with time.

That said, they're cheap enough to just replace when they're clapped.

Koni Motorsports stuff is totally different, and depending on the model, more comparable to Fox monotubes.

I went with VC Fox front, adjustable rear, and front Sumos. Highly recommended. Would have paid for adjustable fronts too to increase on road damping further, and am planning to get their FSB disconnect.

FWIW I definitely drive on the quick but smooth side, both on and off-road. 144HR 4x4 with mid weight build.

SOLBRTs

My understanding from reading the manual, distributors, and the Motorsports community is that they're designed to be installed at the minimum adjustment, and the ~50% additional damping available thru adjustment is there to accommodate for wear over their life. They're not intended to be used at Max damping out of the gate. And, regardless, will decrease in performance as all other dampers do with time.
Do you have a link for that information? In all my time in the motorcycle industry as a mechanic and distributor and working with suspension companies for both the track and street no one has ever said this. No info included with the struts indicating this either, no manual at all just a basic set of install instructions. Maybe it was on the Koni site but I missed it?

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
I was a tech editor at a car magazine, and learned it from a number of sources. Companies trying to make Motorsport products were constantly frustrated with the inconsistency damper to damper, so in working with Koni it came to light. You can also see it obliquely referenced in their FAQ section:

“...Over the extended life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up higher...”

There are other comments to that same effect through out.

Check out the note about adjustability here:

Vailcomp

I have the Koni adjustable, been on the rig since last July. Have now about 7k on them. There are installed with the Agile RIP setup with the front Fox shock. the6 have smoothed out the front and the handling has improved.
FYI get your rig aligned my was off.

JFloFoto

Just about time to replace my OEMs.
Any other feedback on these Koni struts?
Also, WRT install, any need for different strut mount, hardware or special tools?

Top Bottom