Apple car play question

trevor68

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the most basic Sprinter package I would need in order to have apple car play in a 2019 Sprinter?
Thanks!

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
I would imagine CO2 at the minimum to get the mbux to operate CarPlay.

pdxhiker

Can anyone help me understand the USB connector type used in 2019 sprinters, today I tried to connect my iPhone to MBUX for CarPlay but the USB ports on the dash are smaller in size.

BigDC

They are all USB C connectors. The only one that connects to CarPlay is on the dashboard center compartment. Terrible location.

TXWJ

USB C is the new standard. Many new Android phones use them, next gen Apple will too. It charges faster too. They sell adapters. Yes you need MBUX for CarPlay and Android auto.

cacaw

Apple Car Play is kind of a pain sometimes. It's almost as if every time you get in the van you have to decide whether you're going to follow the Mercedes MBUX protocol, the Apple Phone protocol, or Car Play protocol. There are times when it seems simpler to just have my iPhone accessible but not connect to Car Play.

Speaking of that, has anyone found an iPhone and/or iPad holder that they really love? One that doesn't block the Mercedes screen too much?

Chadmatic

Apple Car Play is kind of a pain sometimes. It's almost as if every time you get in the van you have to decide whether you're going to follow the Mercedes MBUX protocol, the Apple Phone protocol, or Car Play protocol. There are times when it seems simpler to just have my iPhone accessible but not connect to Car Play.

Speaking of that, has anyone found an iPhone and/or iPad holder that they really love? One that doesn't block the Mercedes screen too much?
I think CarPlay is amazing! I was totally stoked to discover that the new MBUX system that was equipped on my new Sprinter supported CarPlay, thought I was going to have to go the aftermarket route. These vans have better tech than a majority of Mercedes cars and SUVs on the road today, because they all have the old COMAND systems which were terrible.

GLJones

I just got one of those super sticky round pads that get sticky again if you wash it off with water. I put it between the cup holders below the AC controls. I just place my phone on the pad and it stays right there where I can see it. Connect to USB port below cup holders and it stays charged.
I wish you could connect it to CarPlay from that port instead of the port hidden in the upper console. Too inconvienient to try and connect it or access the phone itself when getting in or out, or at a traffic light when you need to check something.

Michlb

The biggest complaint I have about CarPlay is its performance. It sometimes takes forever for it to react to pushing a button. Also, have you tried to scroll down a list of titles from the artist selection with the little mouse pad on the right of the steering wheel? I have not found a logic when it suddenly decides to jump over 20 songs.

Carminooch615

The biggest complaint I have about CarPlay is its performance. It sometimes takes forever for it to react to pushing a button. Also, have you tried to scroll down a list of titles from the artist selection with the little mouse pad on the right of the steering wheel? I have not found a logic when it suddenly decides to jump over 20 songs.

I’ve noticed CarPlays responsiveness varies wildly in some cars. I’ve tried it in several aftermarket and stock head units and in my 2018 chevy cruze diesel, it’s zippy fast. Tried it in a buddy’s Audi on an aftermarket unit, very slow.

When I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11, that also made a massive difference in the CarPlay systems responsiveness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michlb

When I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11, that also made a massive difference in the CarPlay systems responsiveness

Good point. I have an old iPhone 6s that is no longer in use and which I keep permanently in the car with my whole music library downloaded.

Chadmatic

If CarPlay is slow then it is likely due to your iPhone and/or iOS (iPhone software). I'm using an iPhone 11 running iOS13 (the latest iPhone software) and CarPlay button presses are pretty much instant.

Instead of scrolling through a long list of music, you can press a letter on the right side of the list and it will invoke the alphabet so that you quickly narrow down the list. Better yet, you can simply press the Siri button and tell her what you want to play.

Last edited:

Chadmatic

Good point. I have an old iPhone 6s that is no longer in use and which I keep permanently in the car with my whole music library downloaded.
Have you updated that iPhone 6s to iOS13? CarPlay received some major updates in the latest iOS software update. If you do not have iOS13 installed on your iPhone then you are using the old version of Apple CarPlay.

Last edited:

Michlb

Have you updated that iPhone 6s to iOS13? CarPlay received some major updates in the latest iOS software update. If you do not have iOS13 installed on your iPhone then you are using the old version of Apple CarPlay.

Yes, thanks, I just checked it. It was updated to 13.3 so should be good from that perspective.

Michlb

Instead of scrolling through a long list of music, you can press a letter on the right side of the list and it will invoke the alphabet so that you quickly narrow down the list. Better yet, you can simply press the Siri button and tell her what you want to play.

Thanks - I had already used the letter function. I used to scroll function to find another artist to play when I didn’t know what I was in the mood for. And unfortunately, Siri does not work on this phone. It doesn’t have cellular service. It’s an old phone that I permanently keep in the van and attached to the USB that works with CarPlay.

Try to scroll - I really have a hard time doing so. Maybe it works better with your phone due to processor speed. As I said, this is as old 6s.

Top Bottom