Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 AM   #31
Lostgriz

Default Re: Baby Shamu - 170 4x4

Awesome info Lynn! I am seriously considering skipping the flares that I was literally ready to order on Monday....hmmm. Great info on the heater. I gotta get that going ASAP, my kid needs the shower functioning. I am gonna have plumbing questions for sure....

Thanks!!
Lostgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lostgriz For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-13-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #32
VanGoSki

What a terrific build thread. I'm getting so much out of this. Your planning and execution is off the hook.

Just curious, what made you go with the Agile suspension kit over the Van Compass?
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanGoSki For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #33
gltrimble

Default Baby Shamu - 170 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoSki View Post
What a terrific build thread. I'm getting so much out of this. Your planning and execution is off the hook.
Just curious, what made you go with the Agile suspension kit over the Van Compass?
Both Van Compass and Agile make some great products. I have Van Compass skid plates and a rear step. Also looking at the VC front receiver hitch/winch mount. For suspension I have Agile front and rear.

For front suspension mods the auxiliary shock options from VC and Agile are similar. Agile does offer the coil over front suspension which I have. The coil over provides almost 2” of added lift/ground clearance. If Bilstein ever offers their HD strut on the 4x4 then I would consider that too.

If your van is on the heavy side like mine then I recommend you look into getting custom rear spring packs built specifically for your van weight. Available from Agile or any reputable spring builder. I think you will see a significant improvement in ride quality over the stock suspension.

The rear spring pack eliminates the need for the 4x4 OEM 3” spacer and still adds almost 2” to the ride height and ground clearance. If you also lift the front via the coil over then Agile installs a 1.5-2” shorter version of the rear spacer to “level” the look of the van. My sheet metal seam welds all sit over 18” off of level ground.

Agile was local for me and the install on the rear leafs is a stretch for DIY. The leaf packs are heavy compared to stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 07-16-2019 at 05:33 PM.
gltrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #34
VanGoSki

Thanks for the info and great pics as usual. My van-to-be is only a 144 and I plan to keep the weight down as much as possible while still having the important amenities. I travel off-road a lot want to maximize maneuverability. I was thinking I'd start with the VC kit with no lift and see how that goes. VC says this should accommodate 33" tires (like yours) which I think would be adequate based on previous experiences. Sounds like the Agile kit might be more than I need for my build.
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote