Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement Video

Indysprinter

Yours popped right out when you pulled on it. Mine didn't I pulled and pulled on it for about 3 hours with a pair of pliers before most of the top broke off.

I had to access it from the top through a spot welded in panel under the center console. You take the console off, drill out the spot welds and you can get to the sensor through the panel - it's still not easy but I was able to get the tip of a screwdriver under the shoulder and pry it out of there - it still took me another hour - no way it would have happened from below.

VinceP

2005 158" High Roof Pass.
Excellent video. I just did mine... and ended up removing the transmission. When trying to gently pop-it off by twisting very slowly, it broke flush with the engine. There was no way to remove it. Removed tranny, flex plate and then punched the remains out with a hammer and a punch. Given the difficulty to punch it out, there is no way I could have removed it. Lesson learned, a transmission mount and an transmission oil and filter change later.

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
These videos are greatly appreciated. The YouTube database on T1 service could use more contributions (though there are a plenty of romantic roadtrip and conversion vids.)

Changed the CPS 1500 miles ago after two no starts. The CPS came right out without issue at 195k miles (west coast van).
I was reluctant to change it until it failed and carried the replacement for three years, fearing dropping the tranny if it did break. Had I known about the floor access plate, I would have done it beforehand.

JoeyB

Awesome video - super clear and helpful - thank you for posting! :thumbup:
Thanks! Glad to hear it is helpful
Yours popped right out when you pulled on it. Mine didn't I pulled and pulled on it for about 3 hours with a pair of pliers before most of the top broke off.

I had to access it from the top through a spot welded in panel under the center console. You take the console off, drill out the spot welds and you can get to the sensor through the panel - it's still not easy but I was able to get the tip of a screwdriver under the shoulder and pry it out of there - it still took me another hour - no way it would have happened from below.
I wasn't able to pull mine out at first but with a glove on I was able to pull it out (much better grip). Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. I was afraid mine may be stuck but was relieved when it popped out.
Excellent video. I just did mine... and ended up removing the transmission. When trying to gently pop-it off by twisting very slowly, it broke flush with the engine. There was no way to remove it. Removed tranny, flex plate and then punched the remains out with a hammer and a punch. Given the difficulty to punch it out, there is no way I could have removed it. Lesson learned, a transmission mount and an transmission oil and filter change later.
Oh no!! At least you got some more extensive experience wrenching on the Sprinter :thumbup:
These videos are greatly appreciated. The YouTube database on T1 service could use more contributions (though there are a plenty of romantic roadtrip and conversion vids.)

Changed the CPS 1500 miles ago after two no starts. The CPS came right out without issue at 195k miles (west coast van).
I was reluctant to change it until it failed and carried the replacement for three years, fearing dropping the tranny if it did break. Had I known about the floor access plate, I would have done it beforehand.
Glad to be helpful! I plan to document all the maintenance I do and share it here. I did replace the battery and didn't get any video of it (unfortunately wasn't prepared).
If you guys have any tips/criticism I'm all ears.

deguisej

I have the same situation is it easy to remove the transmission with one inexperienced auto guy ?

Top Bottom