Sprinter 4x4 has issues, true or false?

Sprinter 4x4 is reliable and the best option for remote trips?

• love mine and wouldn't have it any other way

Votes: 78 66.1%
  • Mine has been good, wouldn't change it, but have had issues

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I've had issues, might reconsider if I did it again

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • wouldn't do it again

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • just because of fuel I'd look elsewhere or am considering a change

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Flagster

We keep burning through diesel oil on our 2015 4x4 doing our part to hit peak oil...nothing more than a few hiccups at 50K and counting...already looking for a second ncv3 4x4 before Master MBz really takes over our mind control with the 2019s...

Paveglass

My first Sprinter was a 2011 low-roof, 144 wb Crew Van. Drove it for 8 years and 110,000 miles before I could order a 2017 4x4 144 wb Crew Van with high roof and rear windows (Crew Vans come like that standard now). Have 15,000 miles on my new one and love it just as much as my 2011. Higher ground clearance makes it several inches taller when getting in or out. They are the best vehicles I have ever owned.

I use mine for traveling, camping, exploring, hunting and fishing, kayaks, bikes...superior in every regard! Apart from some factory options I ordered (extra battery, towing kit, 4 wd), I do not have a bunch of built-ins that take up the cabin space and like it that way. I configure for the task at hand with cots, sleeping mats, port-a-potty, cooler, portable air conditioner, camping equipment, etc. based on what I will be doing.

In the 125,000 miles of my experience I have had one temperature sensor that became intermittent which caused the turbo to disengage to prevent what was perceived as a potential overheat. Fixed with a $65 sensor. And, the Blue DEF tank apparently has a heater which failed and I spent a few hundred dollars to replace that system. Both of these failures occurred in my old van well past 80,000 miles. Minor problems for that many miles.

The 2 wd van I had (which I drove nearly empty all the time) did not like snow or soft sand. This week I drove the new 4x4 over the pass in Colorado in a snow storm and had high confidence in the 4x4 on snowy and icy roads. Normally in the 2 wd, if there was more than a few inches of snow on the road, I would chain up.

I have had vans for most of my life, 73 Chevrolet, 61 split window VW bus, 70 and 71 VW bus, Toyota, and now 2 Sprinters. The Sprinter is in a class by itself.

PS: New to this site, how do I know what model number my Sprinter is. It is a 2017, 4x4, Crew Van. Is it an NCV3? Can I find that on the vehicle or by checking the serial number or delivery documents?

Last edited:

michaelr

The clunking is ****ing killing me.
My 4x4 would SLAM like an impact hammer if accelerated and then quickly braked. If it did not do this going forward, then I reproduced the noise going backward and the epicenter of the noise shifted. It then could be recreated going forward. Can you guess what it was? The sub-frame was installed in America due to chicken tax laws. It was loose, free to torque over to one side, WHAM, and then to the other side in the other direction. Another clue was that while driving smooth and steady, if I hit a bump that accelerated the van upwards, when it came down it went whack. My favorite racing team is named FINGERTIGHT, but in this case it is sad. Dealer was great listening to my explanation and demo drives. Arcadia Mercedes.

IPT

before Master MBz really takes over our mind control with the 2019s...
What are they changing?

I'm not sure I'd want a first run from a new factory, but who knows, it might be better than the issues they had putting them back together after shipping them here in parts.

Last edited:

Sprinter SS

My 2016 4x4 is 2.5 years old now, bought it new in October of 19. I just hit 25k miles and have not had any hiccups since they took care of the clunk at 1,100 miles. I use mine for a dirtbike hauler, no buildout and I like the flexibility of the open cargo area (144" lowroof).

This is my 3rd Sprinter and I have gotten great service from all of them i attribute to good maintenance and not abusing them. I was worried a little about the 4wd setup but it's been great. Goes in and out of gear smooth, I do have front diff whine but it reminds me of days gone by in old VW type 2s.

I have come to like the OM642 as well, had 4 of them and they all have different personalities.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom