Anyone fit 285/70/17s on their 4x4?

Tarzanthevan

I got a lot more than a little rub with 285'/70r17. I got a little rub while turning with no wheel travel and quite a bit at 50% lock and any amount of bump travel. I didnt do any trimming, I simply got a heat gun out and re-shaped the plastics a bit.'

Re-shaped plastics; the bumper edge got heated and rolled in from the bottom about 5 inches up. The wheel well liners got massaged back about 1.25-1.5 inches in the center and progressively less moving inward and outward.

Are you happy you went 285/70-17 or maybe wish you went 275/70-17? Thinking of going with a 285/70-17 Toyo at 3 but can’t decide? Thanks!

smittylube

I got a lot more than a little rub with 285'/70r17. I got a little rub while turning with no wheel travel and quite a bit at 50% lock and any amount of bump travel. I didnt do any trimming, I simply got a heat gun out and re-shaped the plastics a bit.'

Re-shaped plastics; the bumper edge got heated and rolled in from the bottom about 5 inches up. The wheel well liners got massaged back about 1.25-1.5 inches in the center and progressively less moving inward and outward.
Looks excellent

OffroadHamster

Im perfectly happy with them. Honestly the more ground clearance you can get the better, and the only way you can pick up clearance is with tire. Ive got about 40K on the Wildpeaks and will probably get another 15K out of them, maybe 20.

I will be replaceing with 285's. I see no reason to run the 275 given the weight and size of the van and the additional clearance afforded.

Best thing about the 285's is that you get more speed before the governor kicks in. I was able to get 92MPH when my 285's were new. That makes a huge difference for me. Here in UT the speed limit is 80 on the interstate, and only being able to go 82 was a real pain in the ass for passing.

mreeves

I have 285/75R17 KO2s on method 703s going on next week, i have a van compass 6.3 with 2" lift and the agail no rub kit....hoping they will fit with minimal trimming. 33.8" dia and 11.2" wide

amigob

2010 H2L2 Sprinter CDI313 4x4, EU
Please also mention the ET of the rim this is importend for others when creating there setup for there van.

I am running now Black Rhino Warlords with ET52 and 285/70/17, I didn't changes anything else. the space between the shock and the tire is about 3mm that is not a lot. For the rest it is tide but it works without any rubbing. I like to put a spacer on but when I do it is very difficult to mount the wheel. To fix this I will let some body mill a hub extender.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Please also mention the ET of the rim this is importend for others when creating there setup for there van.

I am running now Black Rhino Warlords with ET52 and 285/70/17, I didn't changes anything else. the space between the shock and the tire is about 3mm that is not a lot. For the rest it is tide but it works without any rubbing. I like to put a spacer on but when I do it is very difficult to mount the wheel. To fix this I will let some body mill a hub extender.
Be aware that adding spacers will improve your strut/coil-over clearance but it will reduce your tire clearance at the fenders. I have Agile 16mm spacers combined with Method 50mm offset wheels for a net offset of 34mm compared to the original factory alloy offset of 54mm. My 33.1” tires, 255/80-17, have about 1/4” of clearance at the tightest point. I have about 8mm+ of clearance to my coil-over strut springs. Wheel studs and lug nuts also make it much easier to mount the wheels.

3EA8A2A5-FBEE-4D21-8405-43D7BF8C8168.jpeg

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
The extra ground clearance a bigger tire gives is awesome.
With bigger tires keep in mind if stuck in mud sand or snow you will also have a tighter wheel well area to work with/in when it comes to clearing said mud, sand, or snow from the wheel well. You may lose a bit more mpg as well. Always a trade off.
But I’m a fan of ground clearance. And skid plates.

amigob

2010 H2L2 Sprinter CDI313 4x4, EU
I talk about 5mm spacer ( and that is directly the problem 16mm spacers have a new center hub, 5mm can't ) ,
that is enough to keep me from worrying about rubbing. In the we have Netherlands a periodic inspection and they may not see any rubbing

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Not many people choose to run a 34" tire. How is the front clearance to the front bumper with the 75 profile 285/17 on the VS30? Im sure many will be curious.
VS30 Clearance issue is usually most problematic at the rear of the front arch. But it’s close up front as well.
i’d love to have the extra ground clearance 285’s would give. Plus it corrects the big van tiny wheel look.
Maybe the VC 6.3 kit assists with the clearance?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I'm switching up from 255/85/16 to 285/70/17. VC 4.3 (suspension but no lift). Currently I'm running stock rims but going with some Black Rhino Bandolier 17x8 ET 38. Do I need different lug bolts? Stoked to give this size a try.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I'm switching up from 255/85/16 to 285/70/17. VC 4.3 (suspension but no lift). Currently I'm running stock rims but going with some Black Rhino Bandolier 17x8 ET 38. Do I need different lug bolts? Stoked to give this size a try.
I believe you will need new lug bolts.

OffroadHamster

I use Americas/Discount tire for readily available wheels that dont require custom backspace etc . They are always able furnish appropriate lugs and TPMS sensors when combined with tires.

Top Bottom