Pics of your 4x4 in compromising positions

JFloFoto

I can't believe no one else has gotten their rig into a compromising position. Come on, fess up and show us proof. We want to see!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JFloFoto

Got caught in a flash flood near Crack Canyon in Utah. We spent 5 days waiting for the ground to dry out and hoping it didn’t rain again. Lots of digging and building ramps while we waited. Patience is a virtue....
The right shovel makes a big difference. Ditched my DMOS shovel for a Tyger. The DMOS is ok in snow, but not much else.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Got caught in a flash flood near Crack Canyon in Utah. We spent 5 days waiting for the ground to dry out and hoping it didn’t rain again. Lots of digging and building ramps while we waited. Patience is a virtue....
But you got yourself out, right?

Impressive... :thumbup:

Garandman

Yup, I know how to get stuck. I'm so good at it, I just need two wheels off the pavement, and some really rain saturated soils.
Remember, there’s “Stuck,” then there’s “Army Stuck.”

The USGI folding entrenching tool, made by Ames, can be purchased used, folds up small, and is tremendously strong and useful.

Last edited:

Garandman

That’s a good setup!

The M151A1 and earlier models carried a shovel (Internet photo below) but it doesn’t seem most Sprinter owners want to do so.

An eTool is incredibly better than no shovel, whether some sidewalk commando thinks so or not.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
That is closer to a full sz shovel, but an entrenching tool is better than nothing.... weren't Jeeps phased out in the 80s for HMMWVs ?? I was in 72-75 and don't really recall seeing any, although in the Army I was stationed on an AFB and we used Dodge Trucks... guess the Ground Pounders didn't trust us Aviators with their tactical utility vehicles !!!
Most Sprinter Owners are city slickers trying to have the "cool kid" look more than really needing the equipment they've spent tens of thousands of dollars buying and having installed on the Vans... big tires and brush bars for the look but no winch, let alone even a tow strap or shovel...
Oh well, it's their money....

Garandman

That is closer to a full sz shovel, but an entrenching tool is better than nothing.... weren't Jeeps phased out in the 80s for HMMWVs ?? I was in 72-75 and don't really recall seeing any, although in the Army I was stationed on an AFB and we used Dodge Trucks... guess the Ground Pounders didn't trust us Aviators with their tactical utility vehicles !!!
///.
I was in Germany until '85. We were transitioning to the new TO&E, which included M1 Abrams, Bradleys, and HMMWV replacing the M151A1.

The trucks you reference are probably "CUCV's." Before the HMMWV's were in production, the military needed light vehicles and didn't want to buy more M151A1's, which being purpose-built were quite expensive. So they speced out diesel pickups (Dodge, then GM) to replace the Gama Goat (an expensive failure) and the Mutt.

We used M151A1's along the East/West German border. They were soft tops, with pintle mounts for a .50 cal (not usually installed). They had large radios because we needed long range. Without the big radio a couple guys could often get them unstuck. If someone had "Augered in" we would usually get a [tracked] M113A1 to pull them out. And in deep snow the M113's were far superior.

We carry Etools in all our vehicles, including snowmobiles. They are obviously not the best shovels but never get left behind because of their small folded size. It just takes motivation.

Four wheelers get stuck in the NH neighborhood regularly. We have the technology.....

Top Bottom