Post your mountain biking pics here

OffroadHamster

Did you homebrew the conversion package?
Assembled it. Bought the motor and controller from Electrify Bike in Colorado. Sourced the battery locally.

Interesting ^^. So do you typically pedal at the same time the motor is running? Can/do you also run under just pedal power, and/or just motor power?
Its torque sensing so it is proportional to the pedal input. You can adjust the percentage assist on the fly from zero to something like 600% up to a maximum of around 1000W of power.

I also have a throttle which is actually super nice for fields of babyhead size rocks where half pedal strokes and a high engagement hub would be required.

Sometimes I pedal the 50lb machine without assist. Once my legs are on the verge of total lockout cramps I lighten my load a bit. My sprinting power has actually improved since building it up.

I actually was SUPER digging the Karate Monkey before I converted it. Super damped for a HT, really comfortable geometry, good gear spread. Slack enough to bomb it, compact and playful enough to huck it around.

Last edited:

Ed463

One of my best purchases:thumbup:
A HaiBike, German bike with a Yamaha motor. In the UK eBikes are limited to about 15mph on public roads. So the motor disconnects at 15mph. It's a 30 second hack to bypass the speed limiter though:tongue:

So now I get to spend time with my (extremely fit) son and overtake him on any steep/long hills. He flies past on any technical or downhill sections of course:lol:

I was slightly concerned that "proper" mountain bikers would be sneery or even down right anti, but I've not found that at all. They're all really friendly/curious/supportive (of an over weight unfit 57yr old).

Attachments

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

Haibike Makes some great kit. The opensource community for the software that I am running on my bike make it extremely competitive from a performance perspective with the Bosch units.

I have always been a downhiller who preferred shuttle and park access trails, but who was always fit and willing enough to earn my turns wherever necessary. The Ebike is the perfect ride for me. Allows tons of downhill time for a reasonable amount of climbing time.

Ive had only a single person scoff at me for my E-bike from the saddle of their 6" FS bike. He didn't stop to comment after I rode his back tire for half of the descent, passed him by hitting a small booter to a side track and was waiting leisurely at the bottom on my 50lb hardtail :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Everyone else is somewhere between indifferent and asking for a spin on it because they have been considering buying one.

Honestly, if batteries and motors get a bit lighter, and you can be on a 35lb FS E-bike...there will not be a very compelling reason NOT to buy one and enjoy access to ever longer rides per amount of time in the saddle.

Ed463

There are few nay slayer (there's an "expert" on this forum:lol:) but the simple fact is I wouldn't be out there on relatively tough trails, spending quality time, with my son if I hadn't got this bike:thumbup:
You can spec. HaiBikes with Bosch or Yamaha motors. I think the only real difference is in the software. I preferred the feel of the Yamaha.
Oh and it's got 29 inch wheels. Which I really like. It rolls so much better, off or on road.

OffroadHamster

And at the end of the day, its all about getting out there with friends and family mashing some pedals and making some turns.

Expert.....lol. Better make it two ;). Self proclaimed!!! I think a decade and a half of riding, building trail, snapping chin bars off of full face helmets, shattering collar bones and hucking 30 foot doubles qualifies me :tongue::tongue:

Im running 27.5+ (29" rolling diameter). When 27.5 came along, I swore it was just to get everyone to replace their 26" bikes. But after ripping along on a 27.5 hardtail at speeds I would have once swore were only possible on a FS bike...I am a believer.

Its amazing how fast the MTB tech has progressed since I bought my last DH bike. Clutched derailleurs, 1x12 drivetrain, 27.5 wheels, 29 wheels, better dropper posts, lighter forks that are stiffer, carbon cranks, carbon EVERYTHING. Now they have wireless derailleurs. And the weight of everything. I now have an electric bike with a huge battery and a motor that only weighs 8lbs more than my 42lb Giant Glory from 10 years ago. THATS NUTS!

The only place I think they went wrong was for the most part abandoning the 20mm TA front forks except for big dual crowns. I still have a 2012 36 Talas with 20mm thru axle, and it is by far one of the plushest, stiffest single crown forks I have ridden.

derekhski

We did some riding in the Bend, Sisters trail systems. Some warm up single track and got some pals to race with us too. I did my first race is some 17 years, 28 miles, 2:25 and 43 place in the 50-59 Cat2 class. Happy with my progress, as I have worked towards this for about 1 year, losing some 30 pounds over the time. Felt great, being that all my prerace build up was walking, running, and 6 days on the bike, on paved surfaces. If your ever in the West on Sister Stampede XC weekend, its a great course, not much climbing, but flowing single track. The little's did the Kids Stampede, the twins for their first race ever! My little, the pink cat helmet, has committed to 21 races this season, trading races for horse camp in August.

Attachments

calbiker

Nice job! In a couple of weeks I'll be passing through Bend. I've been riding Phil's Trail network for the past 10 years. Before that I had been riding McKenzie River Trail, but with my declining performance with age I switched to Phil's. McKenzie is a hand full especially when riding solo and trying to hitch a ride back, or having to ride out & back (50 miles!). How does Peterson Ridge Trail compare with Phil's? I like the camping just below Phil's TH.

derekhski

Hi Calbiker, I have to be honest, I have only ever ridden the race course at the Peterson Ridge complex. It was super run, and rather smooth flowing single track. My couple of friends that live in the area rave about it, as its a little less crowded than Phil's.
Found one other race photo today from the photo teams on the course.... This would be how most of the single track looked. There were a few rock sections, as so many of the areas had lava flows way back.
The new ride app and website for much of PNW is a great source for ride info.
https://bendtrails.org/

Attachments

OffroadHamster

My next mountain bike is going to be a "road" bike.

Strongly considering the Ridley X-Ride Disc. Haven't decided on the equipment group yet.

Kinda digging the matte olive paint color:

https://www.ridley-bikes.com/product/x-ride-disc/
I hope you have a good spine! I had a Kona Jake the Snake for a long time, and any time I ventured very far off piste on the thing I would end up with numbness and nerve shock.

CX bikes are super fun to bomb around on. My Jake had V-brakes...Discs would have been a game changer!

I hope you have a good spine! I had a Kona Jake the Snake for a long time, and any time I ventured very far off piste on the thing I would end up with numbness and nerve shock.

CX bikes are super fun to bomb around on. My Jake had V-brakes...Discs would have been a game changer!
Yeah, I've been eyeing CX-type bikes for many years, and it's only been since the advent of disc brakes that I've been seriously smitten.

It's also cool that CX-type bikes have now split into so many different sub-categories. CX race bikes, recreational CX bikes, gravel bikes, adventure bikes, monstercross bikes, bikepacking bikes, and so on.

Last edited:

derekhski

Not exactly Mountain Biking, but its Biking.... Rode the Ochaco Gravel Roubaix out of Prineville Oregon August 24th. Did the 45 mile Masters 40+ category, which was just right for me in my slow build up to bike racing again, lost 30 pounds over the last 17 months... Finished 15th in my group, and 24th overall, maybe next year I'll step up to the 80 mile version. The little also raced the Kids Crit in Downtown Prineville. Very thankful for all the supporter that make the Kids races possible. They even did a podium presentation for the kids before the Adults. Nice, Third place, fastest girl in the 6-7's category, and a great new biking book. The whole town of Prineville seemed to get involved in the race, which is nice to see as some 250 riders, many with families, brought more than just lycra to their town. Thank you Good Bike Co, Kwanis Club and all the sponsors for their support.

Attachments

radair603

We have had a stellar summer riding in the northeast. Sometimes staying close to home, sometimes checking out new places. There are so many excellent MTB-specific trail networks around it's hard to hit them all.

Attachments

Top Bottom