2020 Transit Getting 10-speed auto and All Wheel Drive

Flagster

No. I am done spending my life building conversions. Two is enough. Like the 2015.

Actually may prefer my 6 speed. It has hill holding, manual shifting and optional tow/haul mode. I do use the manual shifting occasionally so less gears to select may be a positive. Use the tow/haul mode regularly for automatic down shifting when going down a hill. I am sure the 10 speed will increase fuel economy but that is not extremely important to my requirements. As long as it gets reasonable (15 mpg) fuel economy that is all I need.

If I did buy a 2020 I would consider the new 3.5 non-turbo engine instead of the Ecoboost for a couple of reasons. The replacement for the existing 3.7 non-turbo has more horsepower/torque than 3.7, should get better mpg with the 10 speed, has both port and direct fuel injection, less parts than the Ecoboost and does not have start/stop.
Give me a 5.0L non turbo option and I'd be happy to give up our '15 4x4 MBzzzz

Garandman

We had a 2015 Transit Medium Roof (6’) with EcoBoost. We averaged around 18mpg. Don’t think we ever quite reached 20. Not sure more speeds would impact that. It towed 5,000 lbs like it wasn’t there.

It burned Regular fuel, which is substantially less expensive than diesel, didn’t require DEF, and EcoBoost was about $2,000 vs $5,000 for the diesel. There are many former Sprinter owners on the Transit forum and fleet owners with both. The Ford dealer network has to be at least 10X the Sprinter network. YTD (March) Ford sold 31,841 Transits. Mercedes sold 5,517 Sprinters and 1,919 Metris.

We had two Chevy Cruze diesels in our fleet as well as a Cruze Eco (1.4L gas turbo). The TD’s cost $3K more, had a 4.5 gallon DEF tank in the trunk, and we had some problems with emissions equipment on both. So no way I was buying another new diesel.

T

Last edited:

Garandman

Auto start/stop can be defeated with a dash button, but resets when you shut the vehicle off.

Automotive forums are full of people saying “If only they offered a turbo diesel with 4WD and manual shift I’d buy it.” Showrooms are not.:D:

Last edited:

Top Bottom