Leak

Hello,
Newbie to the Sprinter Westfalia. I have number 43 of the series. When my van is parked and it has rained, water will leak from the A pillar once the van first moves. When the brakes are applied water leaks on the inside from the A pillar where the interior seam is located. The seam where the plastic headliner and the door A pillar come together. The water drips on the door window switch area. I've read the forum where other people have had the same problem, but I haven't read a solution. I have replaced the large skylight and the bathroom skylight to deal with broken skylights and water leaks. I fixed the water leak from the large skylight. While fixing the skylights I checked all the sealant on the roof that was obvious. I'm thinking maybe the TV antenna mounting screws or the AC lines. Water only leaks from the A pillar either drivers or passengers side. If you have had this problem and found a solution please let me know.

cheers,
brennan

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Sealant between fiberglass top and Sprinter metal van body?

Park van on a slope with front end up (so leaks from fiberglass top should leak toward rear? Any effect on leaks?

Air conditioner has seal around large opening as well as various hoses into Sprinter.

2. Do any regular Sprinter vans have similar issues?

Windshield leak?

Front door leaks into A pillar (is that even possible?)?

Hey Folks,
Dang this water leak! Replaced windshield due to rust around exterior from poor installation previously. Painted metal, new gaskets and sealant.

Sealed holes in roof from TV antenna mount and cable. Why they hold they hold the TV antenna wire down with goobs of sealant and screws for a wire is beyond me.

Sealed rain gutter where fiberglass top and body meet with SikaFlex.

Both skylights are new.

Sealed around wires and grommets on rear AC unit with leveling sealant.

I thought I had fixed the leak. Nope. Still leaks from A pillar above window switches on drivers and passengers door. I believe water is pooling up above the door near the A pillar or headliner. When it accumulates enough about 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of water will stream down from the A pillar. Not necessarily when it is raining.

I've checked the van everywhere else and no water intrusions. It seems unlikely to me that it is the rear AC unit. If it was wouldn't water leak from somewhere else besides the A pillar? Its the farthest away place to leak. Who knows, I'm at a loss.

If you have experienced this water leak and found a solution please let me know.

Thanks, Brennan

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1.Search for an RV Leak Detection Company. For example, soap bubbles:

http://rvleaks.com/how-it-works/

http://www.rvleakfinders.com/About-Us.html

Some Camping Worlds may have this machine.

2. DIY

http://www.class-c-motorhome-info-made-simple.com/leak_test.html

3. Skylight

Another poster found the fiberglass area around the big skylight was not flat (had a dip) and strengthened the roof to make it flat so no gap between fiberglass roof and skylight frame.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58503

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46065

4. Repairs

Any repair may not have fixed the leak and may need to be redone. Or course, don't know where leak is coming from.

5. RVGutters

May try putting RV Gutters over the front doors if leak is coming from the front doors?

http://rvgutters.com/ezervgutters.aspx

On a white James Cook, there is a white rubber gutter over the driver side large awning window (a frequent source of leaks).

--------

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Last edited:

discus

GA Westy
check gasket around screws holding down kerstner and around roof vents. water can enter there, drips on ceiling, runs down fiberglass. if you are parked with front end towards street, it will drip in front. easy way to isolate is to use garbage bag to cover and tape around penetration to ensure water does not get in, if leak stops, there you have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I may have found the leak. The vent in the kitchen area that is always open is probably the problem. No water has come into the vehicle except at the A pillar. However, I removed the vent and found the insulation between the fiberglass tops wet. It looks like maybe the top has deformed and or the gasket on the vent have deteriorated. It's a little weird that the water travels all the way to the front to leak out. I'm going to seal it up with Sikaflex. Hopefully that solves this on going problem.

Lehman

Any roof penetration location could be a potential source of your leak. My high mount brake light and rear mounted camera, located just below the brake light, were both allowing water to enter the roof interior. The water would pool above the plastic headliner and leak onto the radio when the van was parked with the front end sloping downward.

discus

GA Westy
Well I may have found the leak. The vent in the kitchen area that is always open is probably the problem. No water has come into the vehicle except at the A pillar. However, I removed the vent and found the insulation between the fiberglass tops wet. It looks like maybe the top has deformed and or the gasket on the vent have deteriorated. It's a little weird that the water travels all the way to the front to leak out. I'm going to seal it up with Sikaflex. Hopefully that solves this on going problem.

Above the kitchen cabinet, it uses an O ring. The other one uses butyl putty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m happy to report I have solved the water leak. It was in fact the vent located in the kitchen that is always open. I took it apart and reinstalled with sikaflex sealant. It looks to me like the roof has a slight warp and water sits next to the vent. The vent screws were also a little loose. Anyhow, the leak is fixed. The lesson learned is that water intrusions can come from any roof fixture. Water can travel quite a ways between the fiberglass tops. Thank you for all your advice . I will say I am happy with the van . Cheers.

Top Bottom