Larger A/T Tires & Snow Chains

Around here we have snow control with chains required. Whats the biggest size a/t tires we can go with chains? 2016 Sprinter 2wd here.

odix@yahoo.com

Sprinter fan
Are you planning on running full chains or low-profile cables? The chains need more clearance, the cables less. I have a 2016 2WD with stock tire-size tires (245/75/16) and run cables no problem but chains would be tight, especially at speed when all traction devices rotate out a bit. If you run chains with stock (or especially larger tires) be sure to keep your speed <30mph to avoid the traction devices rubbing/damaging your wheel wells.

JMyerz

Same here,

I run the BFG AT in stock size and I doubt a 265 would run chains. The Stock size tire is also skinnier and will do better in snow if that's a concern.

All that said, next season I'm buying a set of dedicated snow tires / studs. The BFG's maintain, even had them in some black ice, but I'd like a little more traction. So if you can afford it, go Studs now and a Larger BFG AT for summer, wish I had done that.

J

2016 2wd sprinter here, too. I run BFG 265 AT's and have mocked up the snow chains in my driveway, no rubbing or issues. But, haven't had them in the snow yet.
BTW, stock tires and chains worked well last winter, as expected.

Rensho

I'm on 245s and using medium grade chains. They grow enough even with using rubber bands that over 25mph i'll get various noises and flap flap flap going straight.

filipinoise

2016 2wd sprinter here, too. I run BFG 265 AT's and have mocked up the snow chains in my driveway, no rubbing or issues. But, haven't had them in the snow yet.
BTW, stock tires and chains worked well last winter, as expected.
Sorry to revive this thread after being buried for >3 years...

Did you ever get a chance to try this set up out in snow? Did you mount the chains to the front or rear, and what kind of chains? Asking as I also own a '16 2WD and will soon be putting on 265/75R16 KO2s on a set of Black Rhino Arsenals.

Sorry to revive this thread after being buried for >3 years...

Did you ever get a chance to try this set up out in snow? Did you mount the chains to the front or rear, and what kind of chains? Asking as I also own a '16 2WD and will soon be putting on 265/75R16 KO2s on a set of Black Rhino Arsenals.
haha, alrighty then. the chains I had ended up being too small for the larger tires. I bought some med duty cables and they go on easily, but I get various noises and flap flap sounds. No body damage or any marks are left after using the cables, but the sounds are kinda cringy. Hope this helps

Top Bottom