Winnebago Revel

Paul_E_D

I took a look at one of these and my chief gripe is how cheaply made it is. If someone like Airstream were to put one of these together it would be a totally different story I think.

Its a great concept, but it is full of things I personally would never use and lacks several things that are important to many builders on this forum. I don't personally have, want or need any hook-ups, a black tank, or permanent in-van cooking. The bed is novel for hauling things, but most people looking for a full on RV in a van are not using it to make trips to home depot. It lacks safe seating for more than 2 people, is cramped inside (as in, I would not want to hang out in it in poor weather) and definitely wont sleep more than 2 people. Additionally, it has a lot of equipment slung under the van and has no provisions for secured external storage.

I see a lot of builds on here being designed with a double platform bed, or a pop top plus lower bed, retaining a factory bench seat to bring kids and family along and overall having more modularity than the Revel has.

While 100K is a pretty reasonable price for everything included, its only a bargain if you want all those things and don't what what it doesn't have. Clearly there are people for whom this is the case, and if you are one of them, then definitely buy it over building your own. That's a no brainer. Your time invested will push you north of the $100K pricetag of a van with a warranty that covers all the camper systems on top of the van. For me it would be a no-go as I need to safely seat 4, sleep 4, have room to hang out in the van on occasion, have better ground clearance and a lack of low slung equipment underneath, and have accessible external storage (ie no on the roof).

I am into my van for around $87K, and to me $13K is a LOT of money, however you slice it. Yes I have probably 100 hours worth of work into it, but it does everything I need, nothing I don't and it doesn't have stupid decals on it. Not to mention I know how everything is put together and where everything is if something happens to break on a trip.

Kudos to winne for seeing the market opportunity with the demise of the E350 and the rise of #vanlife in a generation who values exploring the great outdoors. Hopefully enough of those young adventure seekers can find the scratch to pick these vans up and warrant an expansion of the segment by other players with different approaches. While a larger industry is not good for those of us trying to find solitude in the great outdoors, it is certainly a boon for the aftermarket on these vans. The more entrants there are the more and better equipment will be developed for the sprinter. In my mind those are things like advanced aftermarket suspensions (intermediate/long travel), locking differentials, plug-n-play electronic upgrades, customized RV related equipment, adapters and bracketry etc etc.

Im looking forward to seeing where the Revel goes and who else gets on board.
I got a chance to look at the Revel, and now I feel the same as you. It's pretty crappy in terms of build quality and layout. Strangely, I looked at a Travato 59G right next to it, and I felt the opposite. Build quality seemed much better, and the layout was superior in every way. I'm not into traditional RVs, but the Travato has definitely gotten my attention. Of course, I would like to remove the a/c, gennie, TV, and switch to an electric only fridge, and a cassette toilet. but then I would have the best of both worlds IMO.

I had hoped the Revel would fit the bill, but it simply does not get close enough. My current DIY van will stay.

Gibralter

I checked the Revel out pretty carefully, and my initial feeling is it is about time you can buy a 4x4 camper van ready to go off the lot. I pull my hair out whenever I research what is possible in Europe. A loaded VW California with locking rear differential for $80,000 comes to mind. Jesus when will VW pull their head out of their rear ends and start selling these in the U.S.?

For me the biggest concern is everything hanging underneath the Revel's chassis. The batteries are right behind the driver and passenger front wheels and water tanks right behind them. The batteries are in a protective metal case, but it does not take much imagination to picture what can happen if you go up and over a rock and have your loaded Sprinter camper van come down on that. Likewise moving down a dirt road at speed to soften up the washboards and catching something sticking up on the road, could cause a lot of damage from one end to the other. Sprinter 4 x 4 clearance given the wheelbase (144) is already less than ideal in my view, so having so much stuff underneath, some of it exposed is unfortunate.

Still it is a nice camper van with a lot going for it, and I think Winnebago deserves credit for coming out with something that gets many things right.

One thing that I was considering is how hard would it be to change things around. Like tuck the batteries further up under the chassis like Sportsmobile does. Sportsmobile places the main water tank inside in the back which would be my preference, as it would allow the batteries to be out of the way. In terms of the interior I would want to modify the table to make it a little bit larger and more stable. The sink pump is one loud little sucker. I have seen criticism of some the material choices but I found the cabinetry to feel very robust certainly much more stout than your average Roadtrek or other factory Class B van, other than an Airstream which I think are very well made. The aluminum "skeleton" framing and some pretty thick plywood in places show they were trying to make something that can handle the task at hand. I like the flexibility of the bed and shower/storage, but agree the living space/dining/work area is limited. There is limited cabinet space too. Still, trying to design an interior in a 144 inch Sprinter limits what you can do. Having a bath shower means you are going to have less living space even with the East/West sleeping configuration which the side panel extensions allow for.

It is a cool little unit and if priced around $100K offers a competitive alternative to waiting six months to get your custom conversion done. Still you can get exactly what you want in a custom conversion in an all electric no propane Sprinter for $105K - $120K total van + conversion from well known reliable outfitters some of whom offer a better warranty.

Last edited:

TinMan.KC

Congrats, Fresno!

Curious if anyone knows what brand and model of roof rack/ladder and windows are used on the Revel?

The insulated and hydronic heater fresh water (and heated, but not insulated grey) are nice features. Wonder who made the tanks for them?
At the RV show it was stated Winnebago makes the tanks. Ladder and Rack setup are propitiatory to Winnebago for the next year or so..

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I will be curious to see how the ~300AH AGM battery bank fares running the induction cooktop regularly. The owners manual may just say to plug in to shore power...

When someone takes delivery, please weigh the van for us. I am very curious if they actually have a usable payload. With 4 passengers, gear, and water, I would bet the van is at least 200lbs over GVWR. With extras like bumpers, gear racks, etc, I could see the van being close to 800lbs over gross. :idunno: It really depends on what the cabinetry weighs.

With the actual price being only 100k, I can see them selling a reasonable number. Basically this would not be a niche model, but something closer to mainstream.
I will definitely weigh mine when it finally arrives.
In a couple of places I have found 1200lbs listed as the available load weight.
I doubt this includes full tanks. So........150lbs of fuel, another 180lbs of water, say 350lbs of people.....That leaves maybe 500lbs for "Stuff".
I can make that work.

pruveit

Just did a test drive and hang out of the REVEL and I really liked it.

I grew up with large class A RVs as a kid and this really does appeal as a one stop option. It doesn't have everything that I have seen in many of the other conversions, but it definitely seems like it could work for me.

The dealer informed me that they are in high demand and that if I ordered today I could get one say around August... so we'll see.

Looking forward to reading more thoughts and ideas before pulling the trigger!

chromenook

I just finished my second trip in my Revel. I had a sprinter 4x4 that was built out very nice with many hours and all the trick parts totaling what I ended up paying for the Revel. In August 2017 that 4x4 sprinter, which was one of the first stock 4x4s in Oregon burnt to the ground. A fire started under the hood while the vehicle was parked at a store. With the help of every employee and and endless stream of fire extinquishers we were unable to put out the fire and it eventually went through the HVAC vents and lit the headliner and 10 minutes later it was gone. While the revel has some typical Winnebago "cheapness", this coach is well designed for my use and the product works well and will be backed up by a nationwide service network. I can get insurance for the entire vehicle and it has a brand and therefore some resale if the coach has any success. The all electric solar/diesel coach is amazing and the systems are working perfectly so far. The coach is actually very tight as it seems well insulated. Of course there are things I will change and they should change...ie 3 point belts for the back, rubber mat for the back....etc...but the thing works. We traveled and slept four comfortably and brought a small dog too. I admit it, that it overall works better than the one I put 100's of hours and many many dollars into. Just a quick update...I could go into great deal, but I have to take off again in the Revel for the last part of spring break.

chromenook

I will be curious to see how the ~300AH AGM battery bank fares running the induction cooktop regularly. The owners manual may just say to plug in to shore power...

When someone takes delivery, please weigh the van for us. I am very curious if they actually have a usable payload. With 4 passengers, gear, and water, I would bet the van is at least 200lbs over GVWR. With extras like bumpers, gear racks, etc, I could see the van being close to 800lbs over gross. :idunno: It really depends on what the cabinetry weighs.

With the actual price being only 100k, I can see them selling a reasonable number. Basically this would not be a niche model, but something closer to mainstream.
So far the cooktop has been fine on the inverter, but I will get 3 LIPO4 batteries that will really power it without worries. The dealer has 100 on order I got mine from and if you order now yours will arrive next april 2019, so they seem to be selling.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I just finished my second trip in my Revel. I had a sprinter 4x4 that was built out very nice with many hours and all the trick parts totaling what I ended up paying for the Revel. In August 2017 that 4x4 sprinter, which was one of the first stock 4x4s in Oregon burnt to the ground. A fire started under the hood while the vehicle was parked at a store. With the help of every employee and and endless stream of fire extinquishers we were unable to put out the fire and it eventually went through the HVAC vents and lit the headliner and 10 minutes later it was gone. While the revel has some typical Winnebago "cheapness", this coach is well designed for my use and the product works well and will be backed up by a nationwide service network. I can get insurance for the entire vehicle and it has a brand and therefore some resale if the coach has any success. The all electric solar/diesel coach is amazing and the systems are working perfectly so far. The coach is actually very tight as it seems well insulated. Of course there are things I will change and they should change...ie 3 point belts for the back, rubber mat for the back....etc...but the thing works. We traveled and slept four comfortably and brought a small dog too. I admit it, that it overall works better than the one I put 100's of hours and many many dollars into. Just a quick update...I could go into great deal, but I have to take off again in the Revel for the last part of spring break.
Sorry to hear about your loss. That has got to hurt. Sounds like the Revel became available just in time to replace it, however.
I am waiting with bated breath for mine to arrive. June is the current estimate of arrival.
I ordered mine with the standard wheels and tires. Still thinking on whether to try a trade in of the OEM tires for BFG AT KOs, or just wear them out first.
The batteries, I do plan to use up before I try any changes. I don't anticipate boondocking at a single site, without moving, for more than a couple days at a time.
Whenever it arrives, we already have several very extensive trips planned, to both ends of the contiguous states.
Once it has proven itself, I hope to make a trip to Alaska.
I am certain that when I upgrade the batteries in a few years, what is available will help make up my mind.

pruveit

Thanks for sharing your story. So sorry to hear what happened, but at least no one was hurt and it seems the REVEL is a great option to get you back on the road.

I am really interested to find out about the 3 point seat belts that you are planning on installing.

I'm building out my shopping list for when I pull the trigger.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
We were notified last week that my Revel should be here about 2 weeks from now.
I have a couple of big boxes in the garage with "Stuff" waiting to be installed, or simply put away in the beast.
We have a trip from here (New Messico) to Oregon and perhaps Washington planned for July.
Planning is fun, but going will be a lot more fun.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
We were notified last week that my Revel should be here about 2 weeks from now.
I have a couple of big boxes in the garage with "Stuff" waiting to be installed, or simply put away in the beast.
We have a trip from here (New Messico) to Oregon and perhaps Washington planned for July.
Planning is fun, but going will be a lot more fun.
Got an email a bit ago that the vehicle has arrived at the dealer.
We need to arrange "Orientation" even though I have done so much research I suspect I will know more than whoever is going to familiarize us with the beast.
It doesn't look like it will happen until Monday, since my wife is overcommitted for the weekend, and they want us both for orientation and paper signing.

flman

We need to arrange "Orientation" even though I have done so much research I suspect I will know more than whoever is going to familiarize us with the beast.
It doesn't look like it will happen until Monday, since my wife is overcommitted for the weekend, and they want us both for orientation and paper signing.
I hope you enjoy it. Are you getting an I4 or V6?

niknas

Awaiting a report. Did the delivery go as planned? You’re a patient guy, I would have been camped out on the dealer’s doorsteps.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Awaiting a report. Did the delivery go as planned? You’re a patient guy, I would have been camped out on the dealer’s doorsteps.
I was waiting to cool down a bit before I posted.
The delivery went, but not as I planned it.
We can within a scintilla of walking away.
In April they told us we were on the hook to pay for "Mandatory upgrades" that MB was required to supply. This was lane deviation, and whatever you call the gizmo that keeps you from running into something in front of you, plus a flashlight and a first aid kit.
What they failed to tell us is the "Infotainment center" that was in them when we ordered was no longer installed, no navigation nor Sirius, along with a tiny screen instead of the 9"? screen in the '18 Revels.
Anybody that has any information on installing a Becker navigation unit in a van that does not have the port in the glove box, I would be very glad for the input.
So.....When we (My wife was really pissed) voiced some irritation, they proceeded to do everything in such a way as to convince us to walk away. General manager was a real AH, and made the attempt to intimidate me (Which went over very poorly...….I react badly to that sort of thing). All semblance of civility and concern for satisfied customers evaporated, and instead of a pleasant send off, we were left to disconnect from their shore power, and scout up the bits that that come with the vehicle, that were scattered about from the tutorial.
Once we realized that it was to their advantage for us not to buy the thing (Prices really have gone up on these units) we just signed the paperwork.

Anyway, some mild disappointment in not getting all that we expected, and extreme disappointment in La Mesa Albuquerque for their charging extra for an "Upgrade" that is in sum total, less equipment than what was ordered. I do not plan to ever darken their door, in the future. It turned what should have been a fun, pleasant experience into one that kept me from sleeping at all that night.

niknas

Sorry to hear about the delivery process. Car dealers, RV dealer new and used are all made from the same mold. (yes there are some good ones but they are far and few between.) The price has increased considerably from the 2018 Revel version-one. The dealers know that they have us over a barrel because of the high demand for the Revel. I trust once you get pass the bad taste in your mouth you will have a great time with the Revel. I am waiting for my Revel to arrive and hopefully there will be no surprises for me.

Still looking forward from user reports from you.

Cheers,
Nik

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
If you are in Albq I might have gone to Iowa and get the RV from Lichtsinn RV, they seem to put a ton of effort into communicating with the buyers. The RV has to make it's way to your place anyway, why not use the hundreds of miles to break it in yourself? Though this RV is so small they may just tow it to La Mesa

-Randy

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
If you are in Albq I might have gone to Iowa and get the RV from Lichtsinn RV, they seem to put a ton of effort into communicating with the buyers. The RV has to make it's way to your place anyway, why not use the hundreds of miles to break it in yourself? Though this RV is so small they may just tow it to La Mesa

-Randy
Knowing what I know now, that is likely what I would do, if I had it to do over.
I like to do business locally. But I do not care for getting treated poorly, local or not.

Top Bottom