Rules, boundaries and limitations.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

"Rules boundaries and limitations!" I can still
hear him saying it, Craig Adams a former supervisor.

Craig was an astute supervisor because he could evaluate a person's weaknesses and capitalize on them. At least he identified mine, among others, my short attention span and used it to his benefit. What many supervisors considered a detriment and struggle, like Aesop's Tree and Reed fable Craig turn it into an asset.

I enjoyed Craig's management style and I understand he made it quite high in the company. If anyone deserved it, he certainly did. He saved my ass many times.
The first time we met, he told me, his job was simple, make sure I had everything I needed to do my job and that he was only a phone call away if I needed "anything."

My very first request was a heater/air conditioner. I could tell from his expression he wasn't going to place it on top of his "action item list" another one of his favorite terms. He said something about he would look into it and I told him I already had.

My justification it would increase productivity by providing a comfortable working environment. especially while working chaff and flare located on the aircraft back bone and over wing fairings. In the summer, we are sweating our nuts-off and in the winter we're freezing our asses.
My second request were tarps to fashion tents and cover openings.

We hopped into my Taylor-Dunn and drove to a hanger showing him about 100 mobile Units tagged for surplus. Fvck, pick out the one you want. "I need 10", I said. "Sheep! "We will take six one for each crew." I got 6 mobile heater/air conditioners. Their first stop was maintenance for servicing. Especially the one I used.

Craig was always telling me to "Narrow my focus" and assigned to me projects requiring immediate attention and resolution. Craig realized this is where I excelled because I would become bored on long-term projects and get into trouble. Looking back it's amazing what I got away with. If I were a real "company man" I should have fired myself.

Another thing I learned from Craig was rules boundaries and regulations. I am sure it was something he learned in the military.

Today, I bump into one of those boundaries Craig talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom