Climbing on Roof?

Fredb

Fellow inmates,

I'm looking at needing to climb up on the roof in order to do some work on the air conditioner, seal holes where antenna was formerly located and deal with some oxidation.

Anyone know whether it's OK to climb on the roof and/or whether there are any areas to avoid. Otherwise any precautions to take (other than be careful not to fall off :) ).

For my part I weigh around 170-175.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

-Fredb

coloradobjj

I cautiously climb around on it, never had a problem, im 200 lbs but not saying I know what I"m doing but I haven't fallen through yet.

Riptide

Well, seeing as how Tom Neuer just posted about having to reinforce his roof from sagging, I would think twice about it...

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
AVOID unless emergency.

Folks at James Cook Friends Forum were told by Westfalia folks NOT to walk on roof.

The roof is thin fiberglass. The supporting wood frames around skylights and air conditioner don't look like they are supported.by anything--just woodwork between the fiberglass roof and interior ceiling.

Maybe Discus, TNeuer and others who have removed air conditioner will chime in.

Possibilities:

1. Upper Bed Access.

Open main skylight and can access arms-length area by standing on open bed. Can also remove skylight dome for more access to sloped area of roof. Dome can be removed and lowered through skylight opening by tilting unscrewed dome.

If have rear door mounted ladder, would have access to most areas of roof.

For sealing the antenna holes, can reach through removed skylight dome and standing on bed. For oxidation at front end and sides, better to go with scaffolding.

2. Scaffolding.

Scaffolding is great. Gives you room to move sideways and gets you close to roof (most stepladders taper toward top so put you farther from curved fiberglass top.

5' to 6' high works for most folks. Allows you to see and reach most areas.

If don't want to buy, can rent scaffolding. Had rented scaffolding when my solar panels were removed and reinstalled.

Look for "Baker" scaffolding--not as big as construction type scaffolding and useful for interior house stuff as 30" wide.

For front, put scaffolding on each side of front, and planks over the hood supported by the scaffolding.

3. Forklift.

Use a forklift to lift AC off roof (after disconnecting everything). Airstream used forklifts to remove and replace air conditioner.. Others have used pulleys and big trees.

4. Ladders

Stepladders aren't that convenient. If use a straight (not tapered) stepladder like a Giant ladder, might work. Can tie rope at top of ladder and through vehicle windows for security.

Regular ladders could be cushioned and leaned against top corners of roof (not sides of fiberglass roof). May still dent roof.

Autocamp has some nice ladders which can form scaffolding. But I have not been able to locate a source.

http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2015/11/new-air-conditioner-for-brunnhilde-part_78.html

5.. Pickup Truck

Maybe a bad idea. Believe some Sprinter owners have gained access to roof by parking a pickup truck with roof rack support frame.next to Westy. Then add plywood on top for a platform.

------------

That said and before I saw warnings on James Cook Friends forum, I've had folks lean ladders against the top.curved edge of fiberglass top to repair air conditioner and a RV carwash person used ladder to climb and stand on roof to wash heavy.tree sap off (was on the road so no way to self-wash). But better safe than sorry when scaffolding is so much easier and safer.

Last edited:

Fredb

Sounds like I should avoid it unless absolutely necessary and even then be very cautious/careful.

OldWest... as always thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply :bow:.

Several of the options you suggested are feasible and so will need to consider further and figure out which one will work best given my circumstances.

JoeHike

I get on the roof of my Westy every year, to wash it. I weigh 155 lb, and I only stand between the roof AC and the big skylight.

Joe B

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Not to give advice to WEstfalia owners, just a story to entertain. I have the LTV which also doesn't have a ladder to get on the roof indicating that perhaps one should stay off. Nothing in the manual, but I too had to replace the AC this summer. I contacted them and asked and was told Hey the AC install guy weighs more than 200 lbs, so it should be fine. Well I watched my tech on the roof trying to pry the AC free and I was SURE he was going to force his weight thru the roof by pulling so hard against the AC unit. In the end he had to pry with a steel pry bar and cut the adhesive with a steel blade tool heated by a torch.

I still wanna see the RV built, gonna head to Canada this fall to see how they build my RV, but my fiberglass bodied RV seems to have a LOT of strength to hold the roof up. Enjoyed the new AC overnight during the trip to the eclipse.

-Randy

Whenever I walk on a travel trailer roof I try to stay on the support ribs/rafters. I move my advancing foot to the next position and "test" the flex. Sometimes it's ok, other times I need to re-position.

For my Sprinter roof I use a moving blanket cushion and a plank(s) on that.

I'm not familiar with the Westfalia roof system. I'm quite certain that planks would work. Keeping point loads off the roof is the key. A plank(s) will distribute your body weight loads enough to avoid problems.

:2cents: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

I would suggest 2- 3' x 3' half-inch plywood covered with protective material on one side with a rope handle for easy pickup.

I would not walk on the roof. The roof is rated but I forgot what it was.

After removing my air conditioner, reinforcing the opening and installing a Maxxair Fan I would definitely recommend not walking on the roof. The roof on our Westfalias is very thin and working from the sides and skylight opening is easy enough.

D

Deleted member 50714

Moving blankets aka furniture blankets are inexpensive (HFreight) and versatile and I always keep a few with me.

Tortuga44

My experience is the same-stay off the roof. I was trying to get in front of the skylight for cleaning, and the roof was making creaking & cracking sounds when I moved back around it. So I would now stay off the roof as much as I can. I just replaced my big skylight. If you need to get to the front area easy- take off the front 4 phillips screws that hold the skylight in place. The skylight can then be tilted to the back giving you good access to the top front of the van roof. Hope that helps. Michael.

D

Deleted member 50714

Ladder Scaffold

Here's an interesting German? ladder scaffold available at Buddy's Small Lots store in New Jersey.

Hailo 1-2-3 Combi 500 Multi Use Scaffold Ladder.

http://buddyssmalllots.com/hailo-1-2-3-combi-500-multi-use-scaffold.html

For $199 on sale. Can't seem to find many places in USA which carry. Ebay has for $250 plus $$$ shipping.

If anyone has one of these, please comment.
That's an excellent price for $199! I would like to have one. I paid $35 at a yard sale for a "Perry" and it doubles as a stuff collector and Barbie bar. I Still use a step ladder to climb onto the scaffolding.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

VannaWhite

When I need to do work on the roof, I park next to a retaining wall and use that as a ladder. I have stood on the roof but at 230 lbs, It started to push in the inner cross supports so I stopped putting my weight up there.

I just removed the rear air conditioner from my 2006 RoadTrek Adventurous RS, I weigh 220. The metal roof gives, but does not bend. After installing #4 stranded cable down to the battery compartment I covered the AC hole with sheet metal pop-riveted on. Then I covered this patch, the area around the multi-fan, the antenna, the bath vents, and the metal roof seams with flexible liquid EPDM. All of this after spot priming the few rust spots that had developed. So far nary a drop has leaked.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
That ebay $80 ladder scaffold looks good and the photo even shows the scaffold working height about 4' in the air. But, some of the other eBay listings of similar type ladders seem to suggest a lower working height scaffold platform.

If 4' max platform height, still a pretty good buy and lightweight. If anyone gets, please share feedback.

That's why the more expensive German? Ladder seemed interesting as the scaffold height seemed higher.

I think 5' working height gives most folks pretty good access to most areas of the roof (with arms stretched out). 4' for most washing.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Looking more closely at the eBay scaffold ladder, it seems some photos show a different ladder than others. The height of the top rung differs. Hmmm. One photo shows that there are clips at the top rung, which implies that the top rung is meant to be used. Don't know if that's a good idea, but if stable it seems like it might get to around that five foot point, which I agree is a good height for Westy roof work.

Top Bottom