Extra house battery

WestyTat

Has anyone expanded the house batteries bank and connected extra 1 or 2?

If so I'd like to know if there are any upgrades that need to be done for charger, contral panel etc.
Thanks!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Be interesting to see what you do.

A. In Theory

As long as additional batteries are hooked up in parallel to coach batteries, should not have to do anything else.

But,

1. Location of additional batteries may create issues (voltage drop, uneven charging?) as different length battery cables.

2. Coach battery charger is dinky 10 amp charger so would take even longer to recharge bigger battery bank (assuming greater discharge).

3. Central computer console should not be affected as probably reading voltage off battery charger (not sure).

B. Locations for Addtl Battery(ies)

Lots of different locations but will still have issue of 2 batteries side by side in water tank and one or more batteries set apart.

There is a hole through water tank between the two existing batteries--one could run cables to an under-chassis mounted battery.

Or if added batteries on top of battery compartment lid, would be close by but occupy space and raise center of gravity.

Ideal to have same size batteries, matched for age as well.

That may limit Group 31 locations (under kitchen sink cabinet area).

C. Relocation of Existing Batteries and Addition of New Batteries

Could put all batteries in new location under the body. Lots of discussion over on other subforms.

Locations include where our generator is (where spare tire originally was--between bunper and axle), alongside driveshaft (may need to be careful with Espar heater location), etc.

Why??

a. Lower center of gravity (use original battery compartment for lightweight storage)
b. Keep all batteries together if more than 2 batteries.
c. German website folks have had coach batteries weight cause splits in unreplaceable and difficult-to-repair fresh water tank.

D. Replacement with Lithium Batteries

Compare cost of additional battery and installation framework with using lithium batteries.

Lithium batteries allow greater discharge, more cycles, and more amp discharge for heavy loads

Lighter weight too.

Those advantages may address reason for more battery capacity.

Disads include much higher cost, different battery charger, no cold temps (but water tank location moderates temps).

E. Solar/Other Recharging

If need for addtl battery is not bec. Of heavy load amp discharge (e.g., microwave, etc.) but primarily lasting longer in one spot without hookups, then maybe look into solar.

Or if willing to use generator, a bigger battery charger with type of batteries which can accept higher charging rate for shorter period of time (not gels).

Riptide

While one can never have too much juice, it's always better to reduce usage and improve efficiency as much as one can, prior to going down the increased capacity path...

I really have to get to the lighting in the cabin; those halogens just sap the batteries.

jujupang

Riptide,
Are you aware that LED lights just plug right in as halogen replacements. Probably the easiest mod.

juju

As already mentioned, the halogen bulbs in the four puck lights are easy to replace with LED bulbs.

The four fluorescent bulbs; in the bathroom fixture, the fixture above the awning window behind the drivers seat and the two fixtures above the upper awning windows are a different story. The bulb bases are a type PL-S 4 pin. I am told by one of the bulb suppliers that I emailed that there are no direct LED replacements for this type of bulb base. If that is true, there are two choices that I can think of.

The first choice would be to find an existing LED bulb/light to fit inside the existing fixture-altering the existing fixture if necessary.

The second would be to purchase an entirely new LED fixture to replace the existing fixtures.

Has anyone done or explored doing the above?

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Third Option: Keep existing lights and add more lights which are LED. The new lights can be hard-wired to 12 V system or can use AA or AAA rechargeable batteries. If have an inverter, can recharge the little batteries as needed.

I have a couple of stick-on puck ones, and stuck one in the closet. Uses 3 AAA batteries.

Also have a couple of book reading LED lights scattered around. Also take AAA batteries. Provide jist a little light.

I find the orig Westy lights are generally too bright.

OneManVan added an outdoor LED strip light to the sliding door (can't see it as mostly hidden).

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
We have a bunch of flashlights and LED lanterns powered by rechargeable AAs. We carry a charger which uses a 12v input and a cigarette plug. We keep this in the "book shelf" area near the generator switch. Charging devices can sit inside that area and not be visible to curious eyes from outside, and there is a 12v outlet conveniently right there. Into that outlet we have a triple splitter, and in that is a dual USB charger plus extra ports for the battery charger etc. Between all the iPhones, iPads, headsets, batteries, etc we have charging in that spot, sometimes we have "traffic" and have to wait to charge stuff. Crazy. It is a great spot to keep all this mess contained.

Top Bottom