Ground Clearance and towing experience?

Mdharfst

New member here, first time poster

Question 1
I'm considering a new LTV Serenity.
They look like they sit a little low.
Anybody ever have issues off the pavement with ground clearance?
I intend to take this all over the west, including unpaved areas.
How bad a gravel/dirt road can these things handle?
Any advice, anything will help.
Anybody ever high center a parking lot speed bump?

Question 2
Towing a trailer.
What is the real world towing experience of owners?
Can this tow a 4500# boat?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

mumkin

I'm not sure if my Libero is higher or lower than a Serenity, but I've never had a problem with speed bumps or standard gravel roads.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
I've never had a problem with my Unity either. As for towing, I tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with two motorcycles and assorted other stuff. Loaded the trailer weighs about 2300lbs. The Sprinter has great power to tow it but I will be looking into putting brakes on the trailer as I think it's a bit much for the RV brakes alone, especially when going down long steep hills.

barsaec

The only problem I've had is dragging a cargo tray coming out of a driveway this summer. No problems with large speedbumps. I haven't towed yet, but am looking into a Mazda5 as a toad.

bear112

This is not a direct answer to your question about towing, but rather a heads-up about having your Serenity towed in case of a breakdown. When the starter motor quit on my 2012 Serenity, I discovered through trial and error that a regular "tow truck" with a flatbed won't work, as the rear end will drag due to the steepness of the angle as the unit is pulled up onto the flatbed. You will need to ask for a wrecker type truck, and they will have to disengage the driveshaft. Be sure to make a note of where the driver puts the drive shaft bolts, so you can tell the repair facility in case the wrecker driver forgets to tell them when he drops it off (this happened to me!).

RK88

I have not done any towing, but I have driven my 2017 LTV Serenity 6,000 miles this year to customers' homes for my business, driving on a variety of roads. If a road makes an abrupt change of pitch -- from level to steep, you will drag the trailer hitch. It takes a somewhat extreme situation to cause this, so I would say that this isn't that much of a problem since after all you're driving an RV. I did once drag the hitch exiting a gas station where there was a larger than usual drop from sidewalk to gutter. But this is rare. Compared to many other RV's, like long class C's, ground clearance is very good -- very good for an RV. I owned a 28' class C, so I can vouch for this.

Regarding driving on rough roads, unless one goes really slow (2mph...) my Serenity will pitch and roll to send a message (to me anyway) that this is a smooth civilized pavement vehicle. So, if you want to go on a jeep trail, rent a jeep.

Bertible

I'm not sure if my Libero is higher or lower than a Serenity, but I've never had a problem with speed bumps or standard gravel roads.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero
In looking at Serentiies and Unities in RV parks their coach sections definitely sit lower over the rear wheels than my 08 Libero. To level my unit on a level pad I need about 4" blocks under the front wheels even with air springs lowered. The MB units seem to need only an inch or two.

All that being said it doesn't really affect ground clearance but any LTV will beat my last RV hands down. It was a Rialta, famous for scraping the muffler or knocking off the sewage valve when high centered (yuck). Even then never a problem on Rough roads, only in rough rooted or bumpy parks or entering high centred parking lots.

Gary
Delta,BC
08 Freedom II Libero

Last edited:

lovetokite

when I visited the factory I was told the Unity has a little more clearance. However, I preferred the more aerodynamic and less boxy looks of the Serenity. That it what I ordered...

hoosierrun

You can tow 4500#, but you are close to the limit. We tow our 2009 Toyota RAV4, 4 cylinder 2 WD (retrofitted for transmission pump) and have towed all over the West including mountainous areas. It is pretty much maximum throttle going up steep mountains and you will slow down a bit under those conditions.

We have been on gravel roads before, but prefer to keep to the improved ones. Driving on a lot of dusty roads adds a lot of work to keeping the unit clean.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The Unity is getting less boxy each redesign and they added the corner bed layout and they raised the roof in the Serenity so pretty soon the only advantage of the Serenity will be the extra width and the lack of a slide.

-Randy

lovetokite

The Unity is getting less boxy each redesign and they added the corner bed layout and they raised the roof in the Serenity so pretty soon the only advantage of the Serenity will be the extra width and the lack of a slide.

-Randy
well, the build quality is superior in the Serenity, furthermore, in the Unity they had to add a skylight in the shower area so you can stand upright. I was afraid that would really heat up that small space in the summer......

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The skylight in the shower is a feature I am sad not to have but three body parts (side, rear, and roof) meet above the shower and it was structurally unsound to put any kind of hole there, but at 6'2" I would like a little more space to stand and light that I don't have to power up.

-Randy

lovetokite

The skylight in the shower is a feature I am sad not to have but three body parts (side, rear, and roof) meet above the shower and it was structurally unsound to put any kind of hole there, but at 6'2" I would like a little more space to stand and light that I don't have to power up.

-Randy
so you think the sun beating down on a skylight without shades is not an issue at all?

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
I have read posts on Unity owners with sunroof in the shower that don't like the light nor the heat. Some have figured out ways to cover the sunroof. Do a search.

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
Anyone has any idea on gas mileage while towing? I have an Acura RDX 2014 curb weight 3,717 to 3,852 lbs. Add another 700 lbs max (if I load up the Acura) Take it upto 4500 lbs. Thinking that should be ok for towing...

jmcarter

With my 19/19 Serenity the mileage drops by 2 (19 to 17) towing our 2600 pound Honda Fit. It drops another 2mpg putting the car plus motorcycle on an open trailer (~4500 pounds). It pulls fine with the heavier load but definitely no rocket ship in the mountains. Personally think you’d be fine with your Acura because many people tow heavy jeeps but care would be needed in the Rockies and such.

ssalaria

2020 Serenity
Great to know Jim. If I do tow the Acura it will be for times when I decide to take a trip along the east coast shore line and realizing there might not be parking for the coach close to the beach in which case the acura will come in handy. Never would I attempt to tow a car going west (I live in Philly). But good to know it can handle what I am estimating my total haul weight is going to be and it has been done! Thanks once again.

geds

2018 Serenity
Ssalria - since you are new, I suggest searching for the thread on rear bumper protection "wheelie" wheels. They are easy to install on the trailer hitch bar and will protect you back end from dragging on curbs, etc.

Top Bottom