Corner Bed vs Sofa Bed pros & cons

geds

2018 Serenity
We are purchasing a 2018 Serenity with delivery scheduled for May. A big question we are still struggling with in should we order the corner bed or the electric sofa? (We plan to leave it set up as a bed rather than go through the hassles of setting up and tearing down the bed each night - one of the main reasons we traded our Winnebago Era 170C.)

If we leave the sofa bed set up as a bed, is there storage room under it? Would there be room for long objects (fishing rods)? What about if we got the corner bed setup instead? Is the storage space under the corner bed accessible both inside and outside the coach?

I have read through a lot of insightful posts here - and I appreciate the wisdom therein!

We are looking forward to joining the Serenity Club! Thanks!

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
A big question we are still struggling with in should we order the corner bed or the electric sofa? (We plan to leave it set up as a bed rather than go through the hassles of setting up and tearing down the bed each night - one of the main reasons we traded our Winnebago Era 170C.)
I think you just answered your own question. Like many you have discovered that there's just no replacement for a permanent bed, and if that's the case then I'd go for the corner bed and thus maintain full-time use of both the bed and couch or dinette. As to whether you'll like the corner bed or or not, only you can say. Some are bothered by the additional difficulty in making it up (never been an issue for us, but what can you say) and some don't like to have to crawl over the other if the 'inboard' person gets up, but likewise it's just not a big deal to us. All compact RVs involve compromises and for us the small inconveniences of the corner bed are greatly outweighed by the convenience of having a full-time bed and living area. But what's most important to you is something only you can answer, no one else's opinion really matters.

Last edited:

geds

2018 Serenity
Thanks for your reply so quickly! I know we can make both units function as "permanent beds" - I guess the question we are struggling with concerns storage logistics related to either way. With the sofa, is there storage under it (that won't slide out during travel starts/stops)? And if so, is that space significantly less than we would have if we chose the CB option?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
More often than not the corner bed provides more storage space underneath as the convertible couches tend to have a lot of room taken up by mechanics, but I can't speak specifically to the 2018 Serenity.

If you get the sofa bed, you can always leave it down as a bed and get the extra floor space when you want it. If you get it as a bed only, you loose the flexibility. We have a 2015 Serenity and when we use the sofa, we roll up a mattress topper and store it in the large cabinet near the bathroom. Provides maximum flexibility.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
We have the sofa and would have preferred the regular mattress bed. We find the sofa surface uneven and not comfortable enough. We use a 2 inch memory foam topper which we leave on; we have a photo of this posted here some years ago which you could search if interested. We do bring the bed up enough to make for room in front of the bathroom and drawers which is nice.

Some old posts:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56425&highlight=sofa

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28665&highlight=sofa

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=350155&postcount=10

Last edited:

geds

2018 Serenity
thanks for the advice! For those using the sofa, do you have much storage room under the sofa? And when using the cabinet for storing the mattress topper, doesn't that leave very little hanging closet space?

Geds, the outside cabinet in the back on the passenger side is the storage under the sofa. And yes, when putting the topper in that cabinet the only hanging space left is for jackets in the closet by the coach door. We live in ours 8-9 months/year and have no need to hang anything except the jackets.

Bertible

You might want to take a look at the mod I did to our Corner Bed storage to make it convertible inside/outside storage for gravity chairs. It's over on the new LTVForum.com site under Serenity/Libero. Yes mine is an older 08 Freedom II style, but I imagine the outside access on that right rear quarter to underbed storage is about the same. (the front storage of these units changed when they moved the door forward on the later models (2014?). Mine also happens to be a Libero, but there's no difference in the coach portion between a Serenity and Libero.

Gary
Delta, BC

Virider

You might want to take a look at the mod I did to our Corner Bed storage to make it convertible inside/outside storage for gravity chairs. It's over on the new LTVForum.com site under Serenity/Libero. Yes mine is an older 08 Freedom II style, but I imagine the outside access on that right rear quarter to underbed storage is about the same. (the front storage of these units changed when they moved the door forward on the later models (2014?). Mine also happens to be a Libero, but there's no difference in the coach portion between a Serenity and Libero.

Gary
Delta, BC
We find corner bed in our new Serenity much more comfortable than the sofa bed in our Pleasure Way. We too prefer to leave the bed as a bed and not make it up each day. Serenity has comfortable seating up front for up to six people, we find no need for rear sofa. More storage with bed as well.

Univox1

Does anyone know where I can get a couch for the back of my coach? It's a 2007 Leisure craft Freedom 2 serenity. The previous owner took it out and put a full bed in it.

Sundance

There is a storage compartment which runs across the width of the unit on the rear of the unit.

As well as being accessible from the outside of the unit, it is also accessible from the inside of the unit. Access from the inside is by removing the seat cushion from the head of the bed and lifting the hinged panel underneath. Very convenient for storing all the bedding.

Landsharkman

May regret it latter but we are going with the sofa bed on our new 2018, what is the favorite thickness for the gel mattress topper and did you get a queen or two twins(for easier storage)

Landsharkman, we use a 3” and sleep in a two-person sleeping bag. We roll them up together, use a bungee cord around the roll, and store the roll in the cabinet below the utility readings cabinet.

hoosierrun

We have the electric sofa. You can not store anything under it, because the electric motor and folding mechanism need the space to operate. Anything placed in the way will either be crushed or will damage the mechanism (usually the motor shuts down on overload if there is a jam).

The last foot of the bed (going across to the hallway) can be lowered with the electric motor so you can leave the bed down and still access your rear overhead cabinets. It is not unusual for me to take a power nap in the back while my wife is driving or visa versa. It is just not the full width, but quite adequate for 1 person. I don't really know if the full rear bed option makes it difficult (or not) to get to the rear overhead storage, but I would check into that before deciding which option to order.

My wife and I generally do not sleep together in the back. I prefer converting the dinette table to the front bed and enjoying the privacy (yes we are older folks and a little restless in our sleep) :).

There will be room in the storage compartment under the sofa or bed for collapsed fishing poles... and if not there, in the rear storage unit.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
You can buy fitted sheets that are custom made. My wife just got a Queen, as the bed is very long. The wall side is where we keep the extra sheet bulk. There are even garters you can get that hold the extra fabric. The flat sheet is a Full as you don't wanna have all that extra fabric to deal with.

Corner beds are VERY common in RVs so you could probably find them, the Serenity bed is 54" x 80" long. Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

-Randy

Top Bottom