Steering wheel MB emblem

Dougs

Has anyone tried or had any luck removing the center MB emblem? I want to remove it, black it out and reinstall it but I can't figure out how it comes apart.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I removed the one on my 2007, standard steering wheel. It's a metal round with push pins into the steering wheel plastic center and just pulls out while inserting a screw drive or something like that to carefully pry out from the edge. It is easy to bend it so go easy.

levinro

2016 Sprinter 144" 4x4 / 2021 Ford Transit
Hello,

Has anyone has done this on a 2016 Sprinter? Is there any more detail on how to do this without ruining anything?

The sun glare from the emblem can be pretty bad when the sun hits at just the right angle.

Thanks!

brianszero

Just plasti dip spray it directly on the steering wheel. Paper and tape off everything on the outside of the circle that surrounds the star. First coat just dust it, second coat a little more, third coat it should be all black, fourth hit it again, maybe even a fifth.. Let it dry well. Start pulling the over spray up with your finger nail on the outside of the circle toward the star. It usually will break at the seam/edge of the star. You can also use an arts/craft exacto knife to pre cut a weakness under the star.
If you don't like how it turns out just peel it off and do it again. Its easy stuff. Reg black has a nice matte finish. On the outside of a vehicle it usually last 3 years before it will start to peel.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
For quicker, less work modification, use a permanent black marker. On a Dodge Sprinter through 2006, just fill in the Dodge oval center portion versus a Mercedes replacement sticker cap.

D

Deleted member 50714

Be careful, there's a bomb directly behind the emblem called an airbag and it can be lethal if it explodes while your noggin is too close.

levinro

I took @brianszero's suggestion and went with the plasti-dip approach without having to disassemble anything. I did get a few tiny spots where the plasti-dip came off with the masking, I could have been more patient on the masking removal to prevent that. I did go with 5 coats, 3 might have been enough. Overall it looks pretty good and the sun glare problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for the ideas!

Attachments

Bob Laps

I took @brianszero's suggestion and went with the plasti-dip approach without having to disassemble anything. I did get a few tiny spots where the plasti-dip came off with the masking, I could have been more patient on the masking removal to prevent that. I did go with 5 coats, 3 might have been enough. Overall it looks pretty good and the sun glare problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for the ideas!
Hey....what are u using for a center console?...thanks

Bob

levinro

Hey....what are u using for a center console?...thanks

Bob
It is just one of those cheap front seat organizers. I currently have it elegantly mounted with some sweet duct tape. I'll be building something larger with closed storage at some point. Here's an affiliate link to it.

http://amzn.to/2hIzoXa

It looks good levinro! I don't know if your 2016 is part of the airbag recall or not ... if it is, you might have a new air bag assembly to go in there. Not sure if they replace just the bag or that whole piece. You might have a chance to perfect your work again! :clapping:

I loved the center console on my old Town & Country. I found one on ebay for $50 and have that in between the driver and passenger seats. I chose not to secure it to the floor. It stays in place nicely and I can slide it back if someone needs to enter through the sliding door and sit up front. It works great, and inner storage too! :thumbup:

Well that's good news! Still waiting for a replacement for my 2014. :rolleyes:

Sure thing - will send a picture of the console I have and post for you tomorrow! :thumbup:

Top Bottom