US 50 Utah, NV fuel stops

Milestogo

Looking at heading West bound on US 50 thru Utah and Nevada up to Northern CA.

How can I find the fuel stops (Diesel) on US 50 or any other major road ?

Thanks

Craig

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Google Maps is your friend, as well as gas guru and gas buddy - you can search for fuel in GMaps and you can change the selection to diesel in both gas guru and gas buddy to search there. If you are looking for the large chain truck stops, Love, FJ/Pilot etc have websites with location lists/maps.

Safe Motoring!

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
There's diesel in Ely and Fallon. I would think even the lowest MPG Sprinter (a 4x4) can manage the 255 miles between the two.

BTW, enjoy that drive. Lots of stress-free open road.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Looking at heading West bound on US 50 thru Utah and Nevada up to Northern CA.

How can I find the fuel stops (Diesel) on US 50 or any other major road ?

Thanks

Craig
Niece got pulled-over for leaving her home in Sacramento to go visit her friend in San Jose. $1,500, she claimed.

Yando

Just drove 50 through Nevada several days ago. Diesel available in Ely, Eureka, Austin, Fallon, Fernley, and of course Reno. We didn't see a closed gas station. Recommend the Hwy 722 bypass if Hwy 50 has too much traffic for you, or you want a pretty drive.

GSWatson

2013 144
I use the GasBuddy app; shows current pricing and then links to google maps for directions. You can filter for specific stations and options.

Cheers,
Greg

A couple years ago, as an easterner traveling around that area I learned to not take fuel for granted. There are lots of areas with many miles of nothin' between them, let alone diesel fuel. Unless you have your fuel stops planned, don't pass up an opportunity to top off the fuel.

There are some beautiful areas out west. We always looked forward to the travel between our destinations.

:cheers: vic

Overvand

'20 144" HR 4x4
Niece got pulled-over for leaving her home in Sacramento to go visit her friend in San Jose. $1,500, she claimed.
"pulled-over for leaving her home", hmm, I'm not familiar with that section of the California Vehicle Code. Or Penal Code.

Maybe she was "pulled over" for speeding? Texting/phone? Rolling through a stop sign?

There would be some serious constitutional issues with being pulled over for no other probable cause than leaving home.

I'm guessing there is a lot more (or a lot less) to that story there Bob. :shifty:

Davydd

It's the loneliest highway in America but it really is not that lonely for diesel. I've driven it. Just use common sense in looking at the maps and if in doubt just don't let the gauge get halfway down.

Onefin

I have driven US50 3 separate one way trips between Northern California and Utah in the past two years, and never had an issue with finding diesel.
Could be different with the covid situation?

HWY 50 is a nice drive and there are a decent amount of nice camping spots along the way....the established ones could be currently closed? I have stayed at the Hickison Petroglyph Recreation Area near Austin couple times and it was easy to pull in late At night and sleep.....left in the morning.

Decent California style Taco shop in Ely as well......Robertos?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
This is California's stay-at-home order: https://covid19.ca.gov/img/Executive-Order-N-33-20.pdf

It refers to Government Code 8665, about which this page says:
------------
"The order says it is enforceable under Government Code section 8665, which states that anyone who “refuses or willfully neglects” to obey a lawful order is guilty of a misdemeanor and could be fined up to $1,000, imprisoned for six months or both.

Thursday Newsom said the order will likely not be legally enforced except in counties that have said they will do so with their own local shelter-in-place orders, such as Sacramento and many counties in the Bay Area. "
-----------
The niece was in Sacramento. Bingo. Since they have their own stay-in-place order, the fine could be higher.

8665 itself is here: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&sectionNum=8665

--dick

Last edited:

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Keep an eye out for the shoe tree near Middlegate. Ichthyosaur Fossil Shelter is pretty cool if you have time...

Top Bottom