Oil Change (OM647, 2.7l, 5cyl)

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I found this with the packing slip when I ordered an OEM oil filter for the Sprinter.

Service Repair Tip
Part Number: 05080029AA
Part Description: Sprinter - Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Cap
TSB Number: NONE

When performing an oil change make sure to add the correct quantity of oil, which is 9.5 quarts (with filter replacement, which is required with every oil change). An underfilling, as well as overfilling may harm the engine or create driveability issues. The dipstick is designed to be used only with a "hot" engine and oil that has reached operating temperature (unless it is a cold engine dipstick with a yellow handle, which is available for certain fleets only). Furthermore, please keep in mind that the new oil is still 'cold' after it has been changed even though the engine may be hot. A Sprinter engine having an oil level at the maximum on the dipstick at 70F (oil temperature), will actually be 3/4 quart overfilled! However, an engine filled correctly with oil at the maximum shows, at 70F oil temperature, an oil level only at the midpoint of the dipstick.

For proper measurement the engine needs to stand 5 minutes after running, which allows the oil to flow back from the engine into the oil pan. Furthermore the dipstick needs to be fully seated in the tube for at least two seconds before it is pulled out, since the handle pushes down the air and thereby the oil in the tube temporarily.

Make sure the three o-rings are properly positioned before installing the filter assembly. Pay particular attention to the large upper o-ring, which has to be in the second groove (the widest) under the cap flange.
Seek

ps. Dodge p/n 05080029AA (MB p/n A6111800010) -- HEAD OIL FILTER

P/N Source: http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Re: Oil Change Tip

Since I was changing the oil for our two other vehicles, I decided to do it also for the Sprinter. It was only 9954 miles on the odometer, but I decided to change it anyways.

IMGP0001.JPG
13mm drain bolt. There's oil showing because I loosened it before I took a picture.

Got some oil on the ground from that big splash.
IMGP0002.JPG
My new 15 quart container from Wal-mart ($7.84).

The copper washer was still on there. I reused mine.
IMGP0003.JPG
Got some oil on the front sway bar.

IMGP0004.JPG
Oil filter location.

IMGP0005.JPG
Close up of oil filter location.

sikwan

06 Tin Can

IMGP0006.JPG
Red oil dipstick for hot oil checking.

IMGP0007.JPG
New filter from Mann on left (Made in Germany). Old OEM filter on right (Made in Austria). Bag of o-rings (3x) that come with the new filter.

IMGP0008.JPG
The location where the filter screws in.

IMGP0009.JPG
Old oil filter is pulled off. Three o-ring locations.

Make sure when screwing the oil filter back on, the largest o-ring (bottom most o-ring on above picture) is seated correctly.

IMGP0011.JPG
Make sure the new oil filter is seated below the shoulder. I had to use some force to get the filter to sit like this. Make sure the force is applied to the center and not the circumference.

sikwan

06 Tin Can

IMGP0013.JPG
Filled up with 9.5 quarts of 0W-40.

IMGP0019.JPG
Warmed up the engine to operating temperature (~15min) and the oil level was near the center (red arrow).

Seek

talkinghorse43

With my '02 (95k miles) I first add 9 qts, which brings the level to 1/2 qt down when hot (I think more than 15 min. is req'd to heat the oli fully - highway operation for at least 30 min is more like it). I then use the 10th qt to keep the level at 1/2 qt down. By the end of the oil change interval (15 k miles w/ASSYST), the 10th qt is gone and it's still 1/2 qt down.

I've found that the level is very sensitive to body position, so I pay close attention to the level of the ground I'm parked on, and to the effects of payload on body position.

Carterwlsn

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a few hundred miles left to go before I change my oil for the first time. Now I know what I am getting into before I do it.

J-Dawg1

Are there any recommendations for what to use to remove/replace the oil filter cap? some kind of cap wrench?

Thanks

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Are there any recommendations for what to use to remove/replace the oil filter cap? some kind of cap wrench?

Thanks
I would recommend that you use your hand first. I don't think it was too hard to wrestle off.

Seek

sprinterbitch

Snap-on do a cap wrench and on european sprinters there is a torque setting stamped into the cap 25NM .To tight it seizes up or cracks too loose it leaks.Just bought a SP tool which only cost £5 uk it also fits BMW,AUDI,VW

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Thanks Sprinterbitch
Snap-0n is a world wide franchise so theres can be purchased in the States or anywhere else where they are sold, I was looking for the torque rating for myself now I know.
Interesting point Mercedes replace the copper washer each time there is an oil change, apparently it's because of the compression of the ring, where re using the old one may not reseal, because of the ring mark left on the old one. E.Class Mercedes do leak if the Old seal is used, maybe the same with some Sprinters Too?
Richard

Last edited:

acvr4

OK in the middle of my oil change and what do I find with my MAHLE filters -- 4 oil O-rings :idunno: The 3 are not brainers but the 4th one :thinking:
Any ideas? How about the oil level sensor O-ring?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Andy:

Is the fourth o-ring a different size from the other ones?

I would think they just gave you an extra one. :idunno: Can't be a fourth one because I only used three. :smirk:

Does any of the other filter boxes come with four also?

Seek

acvr4

The 4th O-ring is slightly larger than the middle one used on the filter stem. I checked the other 2 boxes and it there too. So it's not a extra but it must be fore something :idunno:
I posted this question on the group and one thought was it might be for the dip stick but I checked that and it's mucher smaller.
I'm still thinking it might be for the oil sensor in the oil pan but I just didn't want to pull it, just in case it wasn't.
So I'm still open for ideas :thinking:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

I just had a vehicle here with the yellow(cold engine)dipstick handle. Compared it side by side with a red handle stick. The max-min scales are staggered between the two by about 10mm which correspondes to the info in this thread. Doktor A

sikwan

06 Tin Can

I just had a vehicle here with the yellow(cold engine)dipstick handle. Compared it side by side with a red handle stick. The max-min scales are staggered between the two by about 10mm which correspondes to the info in this thread. Doktor A
Great info Dok A...

Is this a fleet vehicle?

Thanks,
Seek

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02

OK in the middle of my oil change and what do I find with my MAHLE filters -- 4 oil O-rings :idunno: The 3 are not brainers but the 4th one :thinking:
Any ideas? How about the oil level sensor O-ring?
The 4th is for your finger so you don't forget to buy Mahle filters...:bounce:

I just picked up 11 Liters of Pentosin Synthetic 5W-40 Can't wait to get that old hot oil running down my arm!

Seek, what's the Wally World drain pan opening measure? I have one that I've had for 15 years easy. It was from a Napa type autoparts store. Very similar, lower profile, maybe a little wider. I still get a drop or two (ok, more) on the gound! It's amazing, as soon as you crack the drain bolt, the **** wind picks up!

Last edited:

Top Bottom