Folding Bed Hinge Options

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone knows alternatives to RB Folding Hinges/brackets for "hanging beds".

https://rbcomponents.com/collection...atform-bed-mounting-bracket-kit-for-3-cushion

I want to build a bed that hinges on the wall and hangs from straps in the middle but its hard to understand $170 for one set of hinges. I need to build 2 beds and cant understand paying $340 for just hinges!

I could build something but I thought I would check if there are other off-the-shelf options.
Thanks,
W

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I would consider using 8020 system. Mounting 1.5” x ¾” extrusion to the wall and you can use 8020 hinges. You could build bed sections from 8020 extrusions as well, for example 1.5" x 1.5" profile frame with plywood. See the picture of my rock & roll sofa bed built from 8020 components.

Attachments

harris414

GeorgeRa, Thats cool and clean what you did with the 80/20!
how heavy is something like that? seems using extrusion could get heavy vs alum. square tubing..
Im currently going back n forth on my seating and bed options. RB has some really nice setups and when i price out trying to build on my own and then have a cushion made and covered I start to wonder if the work is worth it!
I have decided to build my 3 panel bed myself using alum. square tubing though bc 3k is alot!

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
GeorgeRa, Thats cool and clean what you did with the 80/20!
how heavy is something like that? seems using extrusion could get heavy vs alum. square tubing..
Im currently going back n forth on my seating and bed options. RB has some really nice setups and when i price out trying to build on my own and then have a cushion made and covered I start to wonder if the work is worth it!
I have decided to build my 3 panel bed myself using alum. square tubing though bc 3k is alot!
A key T-slot extrusion attribute is flexibility. Certainly, thin wall aluminum frame would be lighter, but it is difficult to modify welded frame. If I would do many units having an advantage of a prototype aluminum welded frames would win.

Aluminum framing is still much lighter than wood cabinetry, my filler side panels are ¼” thick and for example on my galley there is no panel. I am confident that aluminum framing will be stronger and lighter than wood or plywood based cabinetry.

See this post about 8020 Quick Frame methodology, this would be another option for me.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=838006&postcount=7

Joshill

Is it silly to suggest a piano hinge? Just throwing it out there!
Personally I'm thinking of using some wall-anchored hooks to grab onto the bed frame (simple twin-sized design bought in Amazon) which will keep it in place while in transit, then making something to secure it on the other side when the bed is flipped up to access storage bins underneath, if that makes sense.

t-heineken

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone knows alternatives to RB Folding Hinges/brackets for "hanging beds".

https://rbcomponents.com/collection...atform-bed-mounting-bracket-kit-for-3-cushion

I want to build a bed that hinges on the wall and hangs from straps in the middle but its hard to understand $170 for one set of hinges. I need to build 2 beds and cant understand paying $340 for just hinges!

I could build something but I thought I would check if there are other off-the-shelf options.
Thanks,
W

I'm curious what you ended up with?
I have L-Track on my walls and would like to build two fold up / monk beds (one on each side, that then fold together to form a larger single bed) and the price tag on the rbcomponents hinges and Adventure Wagon Monk Beds are certainly high.

I'm curious what you ended up with?
I have L-Track on my walls and would like to build two fold up / monk beds (one on each side, that then fold together to form a larger single bed) and the price tag on the rbcomponents hinges and Adventure Wagon Monk Beds are certainly high.

I caved and just bought their hinges. I made one out of cut Square stock and it took too long to bother to make 3 more. I made the beds and frames myself so saved a lot of money there. Just gave some back on the hinges. Haha

Attachments

t-heineken

I caved and just bought their hinges. I made one out of cut Square stock and it took too long to bother to make 3 more. I made the beds and frames myself so saved a lot of money there. Just gave some back on the hinges. Haha
Good to know :)

What are you planning on for wheel chocks?
I am doing something very similar (lay the driver folding bed down and have my dirt bike on the passenger side), or both down and pull the bikes out (or if no bikes).
I'm considering how much floor l-track I'll add. But buddy when this route and just removes his wheel chocks.

Much more expensive, but eliminates the need for the floor l-track and is removable, using existing d-ring mounts: https://www.boltiton.com/

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I used these hinges for my cabinet doors. Bolted directly to 80/20. Full length of door. Easy to cut to length and drill holes where you want them. Do need to add flat washer between hinge leaf and the 80/20 to compensate for the tapered 80/20 legs.

Used the same hinges for the bed fold down panels.

Consider making composite bed panels. 1/4" plywood cover/ 1" rigid insulation core/ 1/4" plywood cover. Light weight and insulated.

Last edited:
Good to know :)

What are you planning on for wheel chocks?
I am doing something very similar (lay the driver folding bed down and have my dirt bike on the passenger side), or both down and pull the bikes out (or if no bikes).
I'm considering how much floor l-track I'll add. But buddy when this route and just removes his wheel chocks.

Much more expensive, but eliminates the need for the floor l-track and is removable, using existing d-ring mounts: https://www.boltiton.com/

I put 4 rows of l track in cross ways because I have a table and bench seat setup I put in for full on camping. I just used rb wheelchocks with 1 bolt from the LTrack to keep it still. Then they come out super easy.

Attachments

I'm late to the party on this one, but what about simple web strap? Web straps are flexible. Strong. Inexpensive. Easy to install. Don't rattle. It could be continuous.

This a different application, but I use web strap to repair cooler hinges.

Post 13 here.

Unrelated strap comment.
My loft bed deck consists of a repurposed press board ping pong table top. It is sectional and hinged which helps with storage. I've been thinking for years that I could put together a slat type deck using web strap. It would basically roll up to make storage easier. The press board deck sections I have work fine so no actual roll up slat design yet.

Added:
I figure the slats can be easily attached to the web using staples.

vic

Last edited:
Hello all,

Thanks,
W

I didn't want to crawl up onto a platform bed, so instead I bought the RB couch/bed which hinges up against the wall. I thought of just buying their hinges, and building my own bed, but the complete unit was not that much more. It works fantastic, but the bed is a bit short, so I butted it up against the rear seat of my crew van (re-mounted in rear position)....and now have a really comfortable L-shaped lounge and longer bed which folds up. The RB mechanism is a very complex piece of equipment which no amateur can replicate, so I'm glad I went with it..

Attachments

TriJen75

Hello all,

Thanks,
W
I just bought 24” folding shelf hinges that support 550 pounds for $40/pair. Wanting to do same thing

floydturbo

Folsom, CA 2015 w170ex i4
I used 8020 framing and hinges from a Vanagon Westfalia. I used 1" plywood and a foam bed from IKEA cut up into sections. The bed is extremely comfortable.IMG_3694.jpgIMG_3580.jpgIMG_3581.jpgIMG_3423.jpgIMG_3388.jpg

Top Bottom