Great West EX Hub Caps = Be Aware!

7Summits

7Summits
We wanted to share our experience with re: to the hub caps on the Great West EX............We have just returned from a one month trip in our new GW EX which we purchased from Lake Region RV. We absolutely love the EX and all it offers, although we have had problems with the valve stem extensions and tire pressure since the day we purchased the unit. We also had the front end balanced due to a shimmy which we experienced at speeds between 60-65. Since then we have learned that Mercedes Benz has discovered that a steering knuckle is needed to remedy this problem. MB is currently taking care of and covering that problem. Our hub cap experience began when we had the front tires balanced on our unit prior to learning about the steering knuckle. We were aware of the sharp edges on the hub caps as our fingers paid the price each time we washed or checked the pressure in the tires. The day after having the front end balanced we headed west from Illinois to Utah. Being new RV owners, at each fuel stop we did a full vehicle check and began to notice we were having tire pressure issues with the right front tire. Our tire pressure monitoring system also alerted us to tire pressure issues. At 191 on I-70, just prior to heading south to Moab, we began to loose pressure in the front right tire and made it to a remote gas stop just moments before our tire went completely flat in just minutes. The sharp edge of the hub cap had been slowly slicing the valve stem on our drive west! Needless to say, we no longer have hub caps on the front tires and we are considering a different cosmetic solution!

With regard to the valve stem extensions, we discovered that 2 of the extensions were made of cheap plastic while the other 4 are made of metal. The cheap plastic has now been replaced with metal and we no longer have tire pressure issues in the front and rear tire where the plastic extensions were installed.

In another post we will provide additional information on the GW EX, but we wanted to alert others about the hub cap situation so they wouldn't find themselves with a flat tire story similar to ours! The upside to this story is that even though we had to wait numerous hours in 100 degree heat for roadside assistance to arrive, Gary, the helpful attendant at the remote gas stop, provided us free ice for a refreshing rum-n-coke and a cold beer! We plan to "pay it forward" at our next opportunity!

Den & Tam
7 Summits

Davydd

Sounds like a Mercedes Benz issue since I think that is how Great West Vans received the original cargo van to convert at least on mine. I didn't have a tire pressure monitoring system so don't know if that is a MB option or an after market installation by GWV to change the situation.

I'm not happy with the Continental tires MB is putting on the Sprinters now. Mine are pretty much ready for replacing after just 35,000 miles. I had better wear after 61,000 miles on the Michelins they used to put on the Sprinters (2005).

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile

My mother-in-law's 1966 Chrysler 300 had the same problem. The hubcaps were "walking" on the rim due to acceleration and braking forces. Sharp edges on the cap would slice the valve stems. You may wish to remove the caps till you can be assured that's not going to be a problem in the future....

7Summits

7Summits
Davydd..........We assumed the hub caps were a GW add-on. Since we will have the unit back to MB next week for the steering knuckle issue, we will inquire about the hub caps at that time. Thanks.

Old Crows........The hub caps fit so snug, we doubt they were "walking", but certainly something to consider. We believe ours were not placed correctly after we had the front wheels balanced. Rest assured, we no longer have hubcaps on the front tires!

With metal valve extensions now on all tires, we are no longer having any tire pressure issues. The plastic valve extensions which were on 2 of the tires (Why just 2??) allowed an air pressure leak between the valve extension and the air pressure sending unit which is on each tire valve. The metal valve extensions fit snug = no leaks.

Davydd

Davydd..........We assumed the hub caps were a GW add-on. Since we will have the unit back to MB next week for the steering knuckle issue, we will inquire about the hub caps at that time. Thanks.
You can look at photos of my GWVan and if your hubcaps are like mine then they are furnished by Mercedes Benz.

I can't speak for your valve stem extensions. They may have been add ons by GWVans if you have a tire pressure monitoring system. I don't have that feature.

7Summits

7Summits
Davydd:

Hubcaps are the same! Interesting..........

Thanks for the info plus all of the additional GW Legend information you have provided in other posts.

Top Bottom