2010 nox sensor replacement

Jbernielh

Bob you can’t really chase it as it’s not a clear opening, there’s a seat at the bottom where the sensor comes up hard.. it’s 20mm and about half inch deep so even if you got a 20mm bottoming tap You’d be hard pressed to do much.. when it happened to me the threads in the pipe just rolled out with sensor and left a clean hole...

Bernie

I just returned from MB dealer in Madison,WI where they replaced both nox sensors again. My 15 has 33k miles on it. This will be the third pair replaced under warranty. First set at replaced at 12k,next at 25k along with turbo temp sensor at 25k too.

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob you can’t really chase it as it’s not a clear opening, there’s a seat at the bottom where the sensor comes up hard.. it’s 20mm and about half inch deep so even if you got a 20mm bottoming tap You’d be hard pressed to do much.. when it happened to me the threads in the pipe just rolled out with sensor and left a clean hole...

Bernie
Bernie, you recently had this problem if I recall? Haven't heard Bottom tap in 40-years.

Jbernielh

Could you repair it with a heli-coil as though it was a blind hole?

Keith.
negative because you couldn't get the heli coil tap in to make the threads for the insert.. As I said earlier it's a straight thread 20mm X 1.5 (just saw the tap in my tool box this afternoon) and the thread is only about a half in deep before you reach the bottoming surface with a slightly smaller hole for the end of the sensor to protrude into the exhaust path.. without the bottoming part the sensor would just screw straight through into the exhaust pipe.. wish I had some pictures.. without the use of a milling machine and TIG welder to fab up the replacement bung with bottoming surface I would have needed to replace the DPF because of it.. Mucho cursing and swearing went on.. A quick job of replacing a NOX sensor turned into a 3 day job of DPF removal, fab new bung and then reinstall DPF... wish I'd replaced the DPF support bracket while I had it out..

Bernie

flman

Not seeing the sensor and knowing how much thread it has, is there any way to put a nut on the threads above where it screws into the hole as a stop? That way it would not matter if the bottoming surface was removed. You could always grind the nut to make it thinner if needed.

Jbernielh

Not seeing the sensor and knowing how much thread it has, is there any way to put a nut on the threads above where it screws into the hole as a stop? That way it would not matter if the bottoming surface was removed. You could always grind the nut to make it thinner if needed.
wish I had a picture of a sensor.. if I understand what your saying, doing that would prevent the actual sensor part from getting into the exhaust path.. the part of the sensor that bottoms is the flat end of the sensor that is right at the sensor area itself.. when it bottoms and allows the sensor to be tightened the sensing area is about half inch into the exhaust pipe.. sorry if thats hard to follow.. pictures really help..

Bernie

D

Deleted member 50714

Bottom line. Don't jury-rig or Mickey Mouse Schit. :bash: Repair it properly the first time and hopefully not have to do it again!:clapping:

flman

wish I had a picture of a sensor.. if I understand what your saying, doing that would prevent the actual sensor part from getting into the exhaust path.. the part of the sensor that bottoms is the flat end of the sensor that is right at the sensor area itself.. when it bottoms and allows the sensor to be tightened the sensing area is about half inch into the exhaust pipe.. sorry if thats hard to follow.. pictures really help..

Bernie
I understand, but I am not saying that you want to prevent it from getting into the exhaust, you would be creating a stop so that it doesn't go in too far. Just a suggestion, not sure it will work?

OTOH I have heard of people using spark plug extenders on an O2 sensor, to fool it into thinking everything was fine.

flman

Bottom line. Don't jury-rig or Mickey Mouse Schit. :bash: Repair it properly the first time and hopefully not have to do it again!:clapping:
Maybe you should be generous, and give him the $8000, for a new exhaust so it's done to your satisfaction? :whistle:

I am more of an Aqua Puttana thinker. :2cents:

D

Deleted member 50714

Where I grew up we call you people "Hackers and Bashers!"

Top Bottom