Introduce yourself

Hey I signed up on this page over 2 years ago but never even did as much as to introduce myself. I work on a fleet of trucks made up of Sprinters and Workhorse chassis delivery trucks with 6.5 diesels and ISB 170 Cummins engines. I originally signed up on this forum to get info and help diagnosing Sprinters. I work on Sprinters ranging from 2009 to 2015 models.

lindenengineering

Guys
I thought I would post something about my roots and some interesting things about my home city that of Gloucester; which I left years ago in search of a life elsewhere! Ending up by accident in these United States and I have been here so long now that I am really part of the furniture!

Of course you never forget from whence you came and I thought I might share some sights and sounds that should be familiar to you as the American reader.
First off our fair city has a great American connection! In short the music to the American nation anthem (not the words) was composed here by one John Stafford Smith.
See:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stafford_Smith

Here is a potted history of the past 1300 years a veritable place to touch and feel English History. King Edward the 2nd is buried in the nave after having been murdered in nearby Berkeley Castle, the latter day Earls establishing the California University of the same name.
http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/history-heritage/cathedral-history/
Walk within its walls through the nearby streets and there are plaques on old restored buildings belonging to past worshipers who left on the Mayflower for the New World all those centuries ago!

Here is a birds eye view of the cathedral and the city of Gloucester some of you might recognize parts of Cathedral featured in recent Harry Potter films.
Please look for the garrick roofed small red building to the right of the cathedral grounds to see the little house where the US Anthem music was composed. Clue there is a little red car nearby parked outside:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PbeXwkUo0

Here are some views of the main nave and the great easy window.
Ralph Vaughan Williams composed first played Fantasia in 1910, its been played there regularly ever since!
Makes good listening and is even better enjoyed with a glass of red wine!
Enjoy the sights and sounds of my home city!:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY

Zoomtop

G'day , my name is Rick:smilewink: I live in Coffs Harbour , which is about 310miles(520km)
nth of Sydney Australia . I am not new to vans or Benz , as I had a 74 Compact & an
International Campervan . I sold my Benz & bought a CJ7 Jeep Renegade & have had 4X4
since , current ride is a 09 Kia Sorento . Sold th old Inter & bought a Pop-top caravan. I am
looking to get a Sprinter this coming year (just bought a new tractor , slowed things up a bit).
So when I read a post on a RV forum here in Aussie , it mentioned , why not look here for
your sprinter . So , I'm here too. Looking fwd to participating.
Rick.

Justboo

Hi, just getting started here on the forum. We ended up with an '04 long tall passenger model Sprinter 2.7l that had about 175k. We have put about 25k on it in the last 7 months and are really enjoying it, despite the numerous issues that crop up almost weekly. I am looking forward to the benefits of hearing from others on the forum and learning from the obvious wealth of knowledge here. Cheers,
Justin, Western Oregon

Hi from UK based (Wales) new owner of 2002 sprinter 311 4x4, with HI/Lo transfer box and rear dif lock
thought it would be good idea to get in touch with other sprinter people. ... At present running early 110 Landy with galv chassis and Mada 3.5SL engine on Mercedes ZF auto box and also a 1988 507d ...+ have stable of classic bikes Triumphs T120 and 6T, Wasp sidecar outfit, 2xYam XT500 and various basket cases

311 sprinter drives nice , hardly any rust, 2 problems to sort
1st is flappy noise from auxiliary drive belt at tickover. got one ordered and hope that cures prob
2nd is slightly harsh vibration under drive just of tickover which smooths out as revs climb... suspect dry sliding spline on rear prop... ordered set of prop bolts and will have a look

I have got Haynes manual for the 311 but would really like some info for the 4 wheel drive bits...any help would be much appreciated... It has 3 rocker switches on dash for LO/HI ratio, 2/4 wheel drive and rear dif lock

intention is to convert 311 to camper van to replace both Landy and 507d as main transport (so they can be restored/customised"ish") and to tow mobile sauna and showers to events
Mark

Last edited:

adkav

Hi. My name is Jason, I live in Glens Falls, NY, and I just picked up my black 2015 Sprinter 144WB, low roof passenger van from the dealer in Albany yesterday. I went to the dealer expecting to buy a Metris van, but this Sprinter was sitting there, looking far bigger, better, and more useful, ...and the dealer gave it to me for the same price as the loaded Metris. So now I'm a proud Sprinter owner. I own a hifi store and so one of my first tasks will be to put a nicer sound system in it (a Pioneer 5100NEX with nav, etc.). I enjoy road trips, so I can't wait to get out on the open road and have my first Sprinter adventure.

Lowkeyfilms

I'm from Clearwater Beach in Sunny Florida and after much research on this site and looking I bought an 04 3500 144" in good shape low miles.

The plan is a convert-able camper / work truck for overnighting in tourist traps on the weekends.

I'll be sure to post as many pics as I can.

stroke415

hi my name is chip, I had a stroke a few years back. so my wife and I figured better live life while you can So we bought a 2011 Itasca navion to start camping the sprinter chassis is a 3500 w/19000 miles. and I have to say not feeling the love from my sprinter. I am hoping to learn from the experience/ misfortune of other suffering sprinter owners.

Horse

Hi I'm Roger, I'm currently spoon feeding a sprinter my love, worse case scenario it's an expensive storage locker.

eeazye

Hi guys, my name is Eric and I live in northern Ohio. I worked in Chrysler/Dodge dealers for 16 years as a flat rate tech. Finally had enough of it and changed careers. I really liked the handful of sprinters that came through the shop even though we were whoefully untrained to work on them. I recently picked up an 07 170 inch high roof with high miles and am sorting out the issues it has.

I've gotten some great info so far and look forward to contributing to the conversation when I can.

Fayo62

Hi. My name is Marek. I live in West Coast BC. My Sprinter that I ordered sept'16 is right now on a ship (Torrens) on its way to Tacoma WA. I am trying to catch some info needed for my future conversion- fridge, sink, Murphy or sofa bed, solar panels, swivel seats, soundproofing, thermal insulation. Being auto bodyman (auto collision repair tech.) and extreme DIY hope to contribute to this forum.

sprinterPaul

anyone else notice 99% of the posts in this thread are from users with <10 posts. With the majority less than 5.

They all start off with hey I just bought this problem...I'm gonna contribute and help out!

life gets in the way....

for those that keep going congrats and thanks!

BLINAS2

Hi!
Bruno here, i have been visiting this forum for quite a while and finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2005 Freightliner Sprinter with 21,000 miles built out by Great West Vans (now defunct). Anyway just a fast "howdy" while I take a break from troubleshooting a short in the 12 volt system... on the MB side not the house build. Hmmm, maybe they did something with the house that shorted out the reverse lights!? Anyway good to be here, glad to be invited!

caseylentz

Hey there. Been in this forum for a bit now getting a lot of helpful info on purchasing a sprinter . I finally pulled the trigger ! 03 Dodge Sprinter 2500 SHC passenger. It's got a pretty neat paint job on it as well my wife has lovingly named it 'Amtrak' since it looks pretty similar. I purchased the van in California from its second owner , the original owner was in Chicago so it came with a little bit of rust but low miles. 150k for 7.5k. I thought I got a deal on it and asked all the right questions and had it looked at by 3 mechanics to make sure everything was sound. One thing that I did notice in my findings is that the original owner really had a pride of ownership so much that he/she put 18inch wheels on the vehicle which has been hell to find replacement tires. Oh well enough of the negative. My wife , the dog, and I are looking forward to converting into a minimal sleeper for climbing , biking , and ski trips .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da Tow'd

Hi Gang,
No Sprinter yet but one in the future for sure.
We live in the end of the road in British Columbia and plan on driving across Canada this year.
Just trying to learn as much about these interesting vehicles.
Volvo and Volkswagen mechanic since I "retired" from skippering a large boat 10 years ago
cheers
Hank

caregivers

Greetings !
have been looking at the postings for about 5 years
am grateful to all that have posted there experiences .
we have a NV3 high roof 144" wheel base 4x4 2016 passenger as a primary vehicle to accomadate a 400lbs powered wheel chair with Q-straint tie downs to secure the wheel chair
Ricon clear view chair lift . Celing mounted airconditioning unit Eberspacher airtronic D2 and a Eberspacher hydronicD5E S3 are there to help keep the cabin at 25 degrees centigrade at all times as thermoregulation is a major challange.

would be looking forward to hearing from others on the forums with major mobility and neurological issues ad to how they have made their time in the vehicle more comfortable

charudutt

Pneumo

Hey There!

Though I started out by posting elsewhere on the forum, I figure I should still introduce myself!

My name is Ian and my girlfriend and I recently purchased, converted, and moved into our 08" Dodge 170wb with 129k on the odo when we bought it. After a lengthy process of dealing with rust, our conversion took about 3 months and took place in WI during this past winter, we have since racked up another 9k miles. We're in the process of making our way to CO, then AK, and plan to live in the van for the next year. I'm 25 and after hiking the AT in 2014 in 90 days I decided to save up for and take on this adventure. We plan to visit many of US and Canadian national parks, backpacking, cycling, and photographing as we go.

Our conversion is pretty simple, but perfect for our needs. We have 300w of solar panels on the roof and a 200ah battery, which powers our lighting, dometic fridge, outlets, CO/LP detector, and our ceiling fan. We have a full size bed 9" thick, which is on a platform high enough to allow us to store 2 road bikes underneath and sit upright with a couple inches of room above(I'm 5' 11"). Everything was built from scratch and with little more than a 12v circular saw and drill. Our we have a counter spanning from our drivers seat back to the bed to facilitate cooking and a bench that houses our fridge as well as other misc gear.

So far I have replaced a leaking injector seal, flushed the PS system, replaced some seals around the turbo, and replaced the entire fuel return line. Other than a brake wear sensor wire being abraded through, those have all been corrected and are no longer causing us problems.

We have a website where we(mostly my girlfriend) have been writing up our build process and will add blog posts related to our travels once caught up.

www.thevanimals.com
Instagram: the.vanimals

Anyway, here are some photos of us and Violet B.(our nickname for the rig).

Nice to meet you all and thanks for all your help so far!

mwren

Hi all!
Contemplating a Merc 416CDI Sprinter purchase in my forseeable future for use as a motorhome/ workhorse.
Im here and anywhere else I can find to accumulate knowledge on the breed.
Thanks to all contributors.

Top Bottom