2018 Westy replacement

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Incase you haven't seen it (are you listening Airstream?) VW has a Crafter based replacement for the Westfalia they are showing that has the same short length and high ceilings that the original Westfalia did, including the bunk over the dining room, and the tiny fridge, but it gains a second bed in back. This is quite an evolution from where we were in 2005.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/25/vw-california-xxl-is-the-camper-van-of-our-dreams/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS_HoCo-eoc

the TL;DR version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWyElnYtMc

There are batches of videos of people exploring them, the most detailed was in Gamerman so I had to translate it using google auto generated closed captioning, not a pretty sight, but I bet it's quite good if you understand him: https://youtu.be/I4oKF6RXuo4

-Randy

triple7

Watched the German video from Ausfahrt.tv. There are a few good ideas:

The airbag suspension that tries to level the van when parked at an angle

LED lighting in the top windows

The projection TV

Outdoor shower with temp control

Live map of all the other Vans in the area

Not sure about:

The slide out bathroom

Need of extra ladder to get to upstairs birth.

The slide out fridge (cold air falls out every time you open it)

The pop up gas burners

Controlling everything in the Van via an iPad

Lack of AC
and no place to place to put one because of the glass ceiling

Overall it seems that the Westie is still holding up pretty well and built a bit more heavy duty then the VW California XXL.

Just my view.
-illya

WestyTat

What is the point of all that space above your head if your cooking counter (or luck there of?) just above your knees? Nah.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Not sure what you are referring to. The counter top is the same height as always. The ceiling is the same height as the Interstate.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 5.59.34 AM.jpg

-Randy

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Nice design, intensive engineering quite visible. A lot of white plastic, some CNCed, some molded, would be nice to know what is the plastic, HDPE?

Like the projection TV, having my own for a couple of years I clearly see its value.

Not too hot about the vanishing stove, what happen if there is a spill, goes to a black hole below, can get stinky.

Thank you for sharing,

I am absolutely certain that loads of these California XXLs will be sold in the state of California soon, how soon, very soon.:lol:

WestyTat

Not sure what you are referring to. The counter top is the same height as always. The ceiling is the same height as the Interstate.

View attachment 89747

-Randy
Well, when I watched the "german" video... the guy in the video ...is apparently tall (as I am)...when he was in the kitchen... the counter space/ stove, he played with ...just below (pardon my language) his butt....kinda like in old VW Westfalias.

Again - why so many skylights? where to put solar panels?

but maybe it's all there, and the poorly shot teaser video is about guy's eyebrows and iPad...not about ALL the features:thinking:

still looks too over-engineered to me.

my 2 pesos

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Got it, sorry, you posted that directly below my message about the Airstream Atlas, not that Westfalia, I was confused, so I added a photo to be clear.

Yes, the glass roof will be pretty on a stormy night, but the rest of the time will cause the interior to over heat, show all the bird poop, and make it difficult to sleep during a light rain. And the lack of AC and solar also cuts down on the charming. Doesn't stop me from wanting the glass roof on the Tesla. I think they were just trying to appeal to the modern audience that has gotten use tot he ability to engineer strong glass, like an Apple store.

-Randy

Last edited:

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
This is apparently just a concept vehicle with no current plans for production. It certainly hits lots of checklist items for a Westy replacement.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
I have been in the $140k Revel and not at all impressed. Typical cramped floor plan with lack of high quality fittings. By comparison our Westy feels like a designer loft in SoHo. Too bad that nothing has been available in the US since the Westy that even comes close in floor plan and quality. I have yet to see another RV that fits in a parking spot that allows us, as a family of four, to travel together for over 3 months in comfort. For us, the Westy has been life-changing.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
The VW Crafter concept is now a reality: Grand California.

The VW Crafter is roughlyl the same size as a Sprinter (the Crafter and Sprinter used to be manufactured in same factory with same T1N or NCV3 body from A pillar back and different manufacturer front ends and drivetrains).

Notice the widthwise rear bed.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/08/vw-grand-california-camper-van/

The Volkswagen Grand California is bigger and better than ever
We're all about that van life

Volkswagen California. Despite bearing the name of one of our states, VW's big camper van isn't sold in the U.S. Volkswagen just released info on a bigger, better model, dubbed the Grand California. It looks a lot like the VW California XXL concept that debuted last year, though it doesn't have the XXL's awkward looking extended roof in the rear. This is likely one of the last variants of the current model, as Volkswagen is set to launch a new camper van in 2019.

Like other models in the range, the Grand California is based on the Volkswagen Crafter cargo van, essentially VW's equivalent to the Ford Transit or Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. It's been upfitted with all manner of equipment that would make older Airstream and Winnebago owners weep with envy. There's a large sleeping area, a kitchen, a bathroom and a bunk in the raised roof fit for small children as well as a number of optional extras.

The windows at the side and rear all pop out. They're also fitted with screens to keep insects and other creatures from sneaking in while they're open. Likewise, there's a mosquito net in the door. The roof features a large skylight to help provide natural light to the interior. There's also a blackout screen for the front cab. The exterior is fitted with lights above the sliding door so you can have powered light at your campsite. Out back, there are hookups for an external shower with adjustable water temperature.

The speakers in the living area can be controlled via Bluetooth, even when the rest of the car is powered down. That means you don't have to run the accessories to listen to music. The front seats swivel backward while rear occupants can use a bench seat. In the middle, there's a dining table large enough for four people. The kitchen area features two gas burners, a sink, a fridge with a freezer and a number of drawers and cabinets for storage. All in, the Grand Californian can hold about 29 gallons of water.

That said, the regular California camper has a number of those features already. The thing that makes the new model so grand is the built-in bathroom. No one enjoys using the damp and musty public restrooms at campsites. The Grand California has a toilet, a shower, a fold-out sink, shelves for toiletries, towel holders, a pop-up skylight for ventilation and — get this — an integrated cupboard that protects your toilet paper from getting damp. There are no light switches in the bathroom. Instead, the lighting is activated by motion detectors.

Options and creature comforts are numerous. In addition to the bunk bed, there's a roof-mounted air-conditioning unit, bike racks, an awning and a folding table and camp chairs (that can be stored in the door). The standard gas heating can be expanded using a gasoline or diesel generator. Finally, there's an optional solar panel for the roof, a satellite for TV reception and an LTE/Wi-Fi hotspot.

Other options include driver assist features and an updated infotainment system. The former includes surround monitoring, city brake assist, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, park assist and adaptive cruise control.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Optional AC and a full glass roof? OK, my Tesla has a full glass roof and it's not roasting in there, perhaps it's as excellent as my car. Just color me skeptical. Where do they put the AC? Basement? How about the fans and vents? If they have figured all that out, color me jealous.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Optional AC and a full glass roof? OK, my Tesla has a full glass roof and it's not roasting in there, perhaps it's as excellent as my car. Just color me skeptical. Where do they put the AC? Basement? How about the fans and vents? If they have figured all that out, color me jealous.

-Randy

Top Bottom