T1N Fog Lights

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I'm adding fogs to my 2006 Itasca. I used PIAA 2000 Series SMR Suoer White fixtures and I mounted them in the foot well where you step up to clean the windshield. I ordered an 80 amp relay to handle the power and I found an OEM fog light switch on eBay

Then . . . . I noticed that I already have a fog light switch on the dash, but since my 2005 Dodge Sprinter chassis has the motor home bumper on it and not the 'stock' Dodge bumper, there were no OEM foglights installed, so I'm wondering . . . . what does my fog light switch do and is there some place I can tap into the wiring associated with it to turn on my new fogs?

Any wisdom here most graciously accepted ;)

Don

autostaretx

Erratic Member
IF you have the fog lamp option, the switch should control a relay that's under the driver's seat.
That relay then sends powers to the lamps.
The wiring is shown on pages 8W-50-9 and -10 of this service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf
The power for the switch is from one of the 7.5 amp fuses on the seat-side panel.
The power for the lamps themselves comes from fuse 14 on fuse block 1 (under the steering wheel).

The two pages cited above give the color codes for the wires involved, which should help locate *which* under-seat relay (or simply socket) deals with the fogs.
(red with black stripe to the coil, brown from the coil to frame, black/yellow/white from the fuse to the contacts, yellow/white from the contact to the lamps themselves)

You can check to see if/what options you have by downloading your datacard from https://www.datamb.com/
--dick

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
If your fog light switch is only single action then is it not for REAR fog lights? It certainly is here in the UK.

I have a double action, centre off switch and one direction switches on rears and the other switches on both fronts and rears. I cannot switch fronts on without rears.

BTW My OEM front fog lights are actually a third reflector inside the headlamp and not a separate light in the bumper. And only work with dipped beam on!

Keith.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
IF you have the fog lamp option, the switch should control a relay that's under the driver's seat.
That relay then sends powers to the lamps.
The wiring is shown on pages 8W-50-9 and -10 of this service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf
The power for the switch is from one of the 7.5 amp fuses on the seat-side panel.
The power for the lamps themselves comes from fuse 14 on fuse block 1 (under the steering wheel).
Dick - Thank you very much for the reference material! Just what I needed. I'll bookmark that for sure

I don't have the factory fog light option, because motor homes use a different front bumper than is used on regular Sprinters and there's no room in if for fog lights, but I do have the switch installed on the dash and it's evidently hooked up to the stock wiring harness, because the switch illuminates with all the other switches when the lights are turned on. Now that I know where the OEM relay would be, at the very least, I should be able to find the leads from the switch even if the relay isn't there. This will make wiring up my new fog lights much easier

I'll add to this thread what I find under the drivers seat hoping it may make things easier for other motor home owners who may want to consider adding fog lights

Don

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Yes! - After tracing things through the vehicle wiring schematic, I found that out. There is a 'fog light bulb' added to the headlamp cluster on motor home chassis which don't have the dedicated fogs located in the bumper valence . . . . and, lucky me, I do have those and they work . . . . sort of - They light up, but calling them 'fog lights' is being very kind. They do almost nothing

Anyway, by tapping off the yellow/white wire just behind the headlamp cluster, I'll have a 12 volt source to power the relay for my new fogs. I'll fuse them separately directly off the battery

Don

Top Bottom