Ladder

1surfer

I have read the threads and am familiar with most ladder options. I am down to 2 choices. The SS ladder from Sureco and the aluminum Prime Design ladder. Any thoughts ? Who has the best price on the Prime Design ?

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I've had the Aluminess side ladder and also the Van Compass side ladder. The Aluminess side ladder is much nice for these reasons: 1) lighter, 2) don't need to bolt it together or re-tighten bolts; and mostly 3) the rounded steps and sides are comfortable on the hands when scaling it whereas the Van Compass sides and steps use angles which are very uncomfortable on hands when scaling.

I came up with a removable RV ladder to access my full roof rack carpeted upper deck. This way I have the choice to access the rack when needed, and when not, store the ladder in the garage or even temporarily on the inside, or I can even strap it down on the roof rack without needing to climb up there by sliding it forward and strapping it down from the rear open doors. Plus I like to be able to open both the rear doors completely at times.

First, a Harbor Freight luggage rack in the hitch.

Second, I bought a tall used RV ladder that curves over and down into a couple of holes drilled into a 2by 4 screwed onto the rear overhanging part of my roof rack. Then just strap down the bottom of the ladder onto the luggage carrier. The top is locked in, the bottom is strapped down.

The hand holds at the top of the ladder where it curves back down above the floor of the roof rack make for an easy and safe transition from ladder to roof rack and back. When carrying gear up there on a trip, I just leave the ladder in place, or remove the ladder when parked somewhere with gear up there to make it that much harder to access by thieves.

Just one among many options. This portable and removable way works for me. I do like the safety factor of the use of the ladders handholds above the floor of the roof rack at the point where the ladder curves back down.

1surfer

I went with the Sureco due to its simplicity. I plan on adding a Rome Built ladder later and using the sureco for storage and the larger Rome Built for going up and down.
I am not a fan of side ladders as I do a lot of off highway adventuring and they are just big branch catchers. Here in the high rockies we see side ladders a a badge of the "highway warrior" that pretty much never ventures into the back country. I can see the practicality of the side ladder but just not on narrow tree lined back country roads. People who dont venture too far out would not realize that until that side ladder grabs a branch ...

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I came up with a removable RV ladder to access my full roof rack carpeted upper deck. This way I have the choice to access the rack when needed, and when not, store the ladder in the garage or even temporarily on the inside, or I can even strap it down on the roof rack without needing to climb up there by sliding it forward and strapping it down from the rear open doors. Plus I like to be able to open both the rear doors completely at times.

First, a Harbor Freight luggage rack in the hitch.

Second, I bought a tall used RV ladder that curves over and down into a couple of holes drilled into a 2by 4 screwed onto the rear overhanging part of my roof rack. Then just strap down the bottom of the ladder onto the luggage carrier. The top is locked in, the bottom is strapped down.

The hand holds at the top of the ladder where it curves back down above the floor of the roof rack make for an easy and safe transition from ladder to roof rack and back. When carrying gear up there on a trip, I just leave the ladder in place, or remove the ladder when parked somewhere with gear up there to make it that much harder to access by thieves.

Just one among many options. This portable and removable way works for me. I do like the safety factor of the use of the ladders handholds above the floor of the roof rack at the point where the ladder curves back down.
Modified Harbor Freight luggage rack to fit roof floor area...

Add Sprinter designed rail for Roof rack...

Ladder added to reach luggage rack..

(from EuroCampers)-- http://www.eurocampers.com/83-High-...or-Ladder-in-White-Black-or-Silver_p_941.html

cheers...

zmelms

Question: I have a 144 high roof with Flarespace flares installed on both sides. I'm wondering what kind of tolerance I have left (if any) for a Prime Design ladder... would it clear the flares and / or the sliding door? A re-seller has told me no BUT I'm not convinced and I can't seem to find any photos of the ladder on a fully opened door - ie. next to the body of the van. Could you snap a photo that shows the clearance and maybe show a tape measure in there as well?

Thanks!

InterBlog

I know you said you were down to a couple of choices, but my suggestion is to consider a telescoping ladder. The exterior fixed ladders look sexy, sure - like van jewelry. But a portable is far more versatile. I have a Telesteps 1400E (about $230) which collapses down and stores behind the driver's seat. I use it to:

1. Access the ATV bag I have mounted on the rear-most part of the roof.
  2. Access both sides of the inflatable kayak that I have mounted amidships under the leading edge of the solar panels.
  3. Move from side to side to clean the solar panels.
  4. Move around the entire roof for maintenance access (re-caulking, touching up the reflective elastomeric, etc.).
  5. Move around the entire perimeter to access the roof "shoulders" for washing and waxing.
  6. Sometimes I use it to climb a structure at a campsite or other destination to get a higher vantage point for photography.

A fixed ladder is very limited in what it can do besides looking cool.

Pic:

I chose Prime Design after watching this UTube. (I think he may have been paid for that, not sure)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USMuz4QMjOE
He mounted close to the center of the right door and was therefore able to fully open (to the magnet) that door, interesting. I ended up using the recommended position and can only open the 90 deg., not an issue for me. Door handle access drove that decision.
In any case, it is light, well designed/manufactured and I am happy with it. To keep the anodized aluminum vibe, I chose their roof rack also.

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

As an alternative you could head over to the local salvage yard and hack off a piece of ladder from an old RV.
Take it to the local welder and have some feet added.

This design uses the rear tire for the first step.

I have about $40 invested(Prime Design $351).

The re-purpose van.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

SD26

2012 NCV3 3500
As an alternative you could head over to the local salvage yard and hack off a piece of ladder from an old RV.
Take it to the local welder and have some feet added.

This design uses the rear tire for the first step.

I have about $40 invested(Prime Design $351).

The re-purpose van.

bill in tomahawk
Bill, how did you secure that on your T1N?

N. Coast

Those of you that have a side mount ladder... are they easy to climb?? I don't want to fall off.
Thanks for your help.

B

billintomahawk

Bill, how did you secure that on your T1N?
Drilled through the side wall and mounted with 1/4 inch steel bolts with lock washers and self locking nuts. Cheap and efficient. Four bolts per pad.

I'll post some better pictures in the morning.
Could you fall off ?
Sure.
I have since added Kayak bars but I need to string a safety line off it or some such.

Foot welded on by my local shop.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom