Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 04:11 AM   #51
ksrltd
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Well MB can't make the repair. Just received a letter that MB will buy back the van after replacing a bunch of sensors and nearly every mechanical part minus an engine.

Ufff
ksrltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #52
Wecomatt
SixWalls Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 32
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Our 20K service is due in the next few weeks. Will be talking with our dealer about this (Westminster in CO). If they can't fix it, then taking it to Littleton, and if they can't, then to Linden's. Will update this thread. This should really be a recall given how dangerous it is. The light was turning red by the time I made it through the intersection when this happened to me.
Anyone had any recent conversations with their dealer regarding this issue? Took our van to the Littleton, CO dealer today for the A service. Told them ahead of time about our issues with the cold starts/stalls etc and made reference to the specific sensors in question with the info provided here by Linden Engineering. Got the same "sprinter is designed to accelerate slow from a start" non-sense. In my opinion this isn't even the same convesation. Was told the sensors were tested and all functioned normally. So....not sure where to go from here.
Wecomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #53
Wrinkledpants
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,183
Thanks: 52
Thanked 648 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

I had a conversation with Westminster, and they couldn't replicate the problem due to the fact that is was spring temps. I'm likely going to have Linden make the repair next winter.

The only other option is that everyone starts reporting this to whatever government authority regulates safety, so that this turns into a recall.
__________________
2017 144WB 4x4
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrinkledpants For This Useful Post:
Wecomatt (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #54
levinro
2016 Sprinter 144" 4x4
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 163
Thanks: 108
Thanked 153 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Same here...was just at Littleton MB for the air bag recall and asked them to check the sensors that Dennis had told Rory about. Rory said that everything came back normal and said to try again in the Winter where they would do a "cold soak" overnight and try again.
levinro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to levinro For This Useful Post:
Wecomatt (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 AM   #55
Davidboco
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 20
Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinro View Post
Same here...was just at Littleton MB for the air bag recall and asked them to check the sensors that Dennis had told Rory about. Rory said that everything came back normal and said to try again in the Winter where they would do a "cold soak" overnight and try again.
Well it's certainly frustrating!

I took my '16 4x4 to Linden and he replaced some sensors - took it camping up high and in the cold and experienced the same no acceleration issue upon first start up in the morning.

took it back to Linden and they figured my engine cooling fan wasn't operating correctly - they replaced it. (I have cooler temps and better mpg now)

went camping up to Brainard (10,000ft) this week and next morning experienced the same no acceleration issue

At this point I have come to just expect that if I'm up high and in relatively cold weather to just wait until my engine is warm (about 10 min) before taking off.

Bottom line is I enjoy the van too much to be bummed out :-)
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #56
Moto Vita
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: WA/AZ USA
Posts: 259
Thanks: 25
Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidboco View Post
Well it's certainly frustrating!

I took my '16 4x4 to Linden and he replaced some sensors - took it camping up high and in the cold and experienced the same no acceleration issue upon first start up in the morning.

took it back to Linden and they figured my engine cooling fan wasn't operating correctly - they replaced it. (I have cooler temps and better mpg now)

went camping up to Brainard (10,000ft) this week and next morning experienced the same no acceleration issue

At this point I have come to just expect that if I'm up high and in relatively cold weather to just wait until my engine is warm (about 10 min) before taking off.

Bottom line is I enjoy the van too much to be bummed out :-)
Are you able to consistently duplicate the problem when high and cold?
Does the ASR off button have any effect while waiting for the van to warm up?
Moto Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #57
Davidboco
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 20
Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vita View Post
Are you able to consistently duplicate the problem when high and cold?
Does the ASR off button have any effect while waiting for the van to warm up?
yes every time I'm at high elevations and the temp is 40 or below I experience the no acceleration problem

I haven't manipulated the ASR yet while experiencing this problem

it happens both in and out of 4wd

At this point I'm content to just let it warm up and continue on my merry way
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #58
EvanS
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 51
Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

I've also experienced the very slow acceleration before but have never had an instance where I pushed the peddle and absolutely nothing happened. Usually for me the engine starts to rev very, very, very slowly. This only happens if the van has not been driven for hours (i.e. no longer hot). Experiencing this as you're trying to navigate an intersection is nerve wracking. I have not tried turning it off and on again, I have never tried engaging/disengaging 4x4 or low range and I have had this issue in not so cold weather.

2017 4x4

I won't even bother calling the Westminster dealer. When I spoke to the service writer last time (can't remember his name) about a few concerns I had about my van he was dismissive and quick to provide reasons why my complaints were invalid. For example, I told him that I felt a shimmy in the drivetrain at 55mph when in 4x4 - an issue others have had. He told me that "this 4x4 design is really old and outdated". Gee, thanks guy, I appreciate your concern about my brand new $50,000 van that doesn't seem to be working right. You're response is that I bought a product that was poorly constructed? I had a few other things I wanted them to check out but ultimately it was a bad experience all around. Do not recommend.

Last edited by EvanS; 06-12-2019 at 01:58 AM.
EvanS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #59
fxgn
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

Quote:
I won't even bother calling the Westminster dealer. When I spoke to the service writer last time (can't remember his name) about a few concerns I had about my van he was dismissive and quick to provide reasons why my complaints were invalid. For example, I told him that I felt a shimmy in the drivetrain at 55mph when in 4x4 - an issue others have had. He told me that "this 4x4 design is really old and outdated". Gee, thanks guy, I appreciate your concern about my brand new $50,000 van that doesn't seem to be working right. You're response is that I bought a product that was poorly constructed? I had a few other things I wanted them to check out but ultimately it was a bad experience all around. Do not recommend.
I'll second this. I live in Denver and have had terrible experience with MB of Westminster. The first time I went to them for service I noticed some weird stuff on my dashcam (that was running the whole time). I had asked for a tire rotation which they told me was performed but there was no evidence on the cam of the vehicle being lifted or tires rotated. After pressing them they admitted that they didn't have time to do it. The second (and last) time I went to them was for a windshield replacement under warranty. They do not have their own body shop so they outsourced the work to a contractor that scratched the paint on either side of my hood where the windshield corners are.

I'm going to MB of Littleton tomorrow for my regular service, I have the same acceleration issue as this thread. I've told Rory that I want it to be investigated, however since it's the middle of the summer I'm expecting them to tell me to come back when they can cold soak it.

Now that it's happened to me twice I'm happy to know others have the same problem and that I just need to warm the van for about 10 minutes. I almost had a very bad accident with a truck by not being able to accelerate fast enough.
fxgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #60
ksrltd
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Slow / No Acceleration Engine Temp less than 150 F

MBUSA finally agreed to purchase the van back.

That process was problematic, to say the least. MBUSA using a "neutral" third-party to facilitate the financial buy-back. It took several attempts to execute the agreement and a lot of words like citing Nevada Revised Statutes along with a plethora of legal demands to get their attention.

Like some of the other users here the van is very enjoyable, but with no acceleration until greater than 150 degrees the issue is about the safety of my vehicle occupants and others around me.

Bye-bye 4x4 NVC 2016. Where is my old 5 cylinder 4x2????
ksrltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ksrltd For This Useful Post:
ptheland (08-01-2019)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.